Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

My question is simply is Acne purely genetic? I'm just wondering if I should blame myself or my Dad for me having Acne (my Dad had moderately severe acne as a teen; I have moderate acne, 1 step below). I don't know if it's good to be like this, but when I think about my acne problems, I always blame my Dad and I start thinking really bad thoughts about him and saying to myself that I hate him. I've told my mom she should of married (and had a child) with a guy who had no prior history of acne so I could be clear like 95 % of the world is. I think this absolutely crushes my mom knowing that I wish I had a different Dad because she gets really offended when I tell her that. I've even told my Dad one time that I wish he wasn't my Father and I had a different Dad. And I think that really hurt his feelings. However, all this aside, if Acne is NOT Genetic, I want to know where I went wrong at. Prior to age 16 (I'm 18 now, male btw), I had the RARE occasional pimple I'd get ilke once every month. Other than that, I had flawless skin. I want to know why I started getting acne and why I still have it today. I want to know what I did to get acne. It's just not fair that I'm in the 5 % of the world that has Acne, while the other 95 % can be happy with their lives because they have such clear, perfect skin. *sigh* Anyways, a simple answer to my question would be appreciated.

Oh, and, if you could, state if you have/had acne and also state if either of your parents had acne problems so I can just see how many people have Genetic Acne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My question is simply is Acne purely genetic? I'm just wondering if I should blame myself or my Dad for me having Acne (my Dad had moderately severe acne as a teen; I have moderate acne, 1 step below). I don't know if it's good to be like this, but when I think about my acne problems, I always blame my Dad and I start thinking really bad thoughts about him and saying to myself that I hate him. I've told my mom she should of married (and had a child) with a guy who had no prior history of acne so I could be clear like 95 % of the world is. I think this absolutely crushes my mom knowing that I wish I had a different Dad because she gets really offended when I tell her that. I've even told my Dad one time that I wish he wasn't my Father and I had a different Dad. And I think that really hurt his feelings. However, all this aside, if Acne is NOT Genetic, I want to know where I went wrong at. Prior to age 16 (I'm 18 now, male btw), I had the RARE occasional pimple I'd get ilke once every month. Other than that, I had flawless skin. I want to know why I started getting acne and why I still have it today. I want to know what I did to get acne. It's just not fair that I'm in the 5 % of the world that has Acne, while the other 95 % can be happy with their lives because they have such clear, perfect skin. *sigh* Anyways, a simple answer to my question would be appreciated.

Oh, and, if you could, state if you have/had acne and also state if either of your parents had acne problems so I can just see how many people have Genetic Acne.

I also have genetic acne, and minor dandruff similar to yours but it was worse when I was 16-18.

I don't know the exact number, but certainly far more than 5% of people get genetic acne. Unless you have other skin issues in your family, dandruff, rosacea etc. etc. then your acne may not even be genetic and could be the result of an unbalanced diet - thus you would be to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, there are so many things that I want to say.

As far as genetics go, my dermatologist said that there may be a link to acne being genetic. I then said that neither one of my parents or any of my siblings had acne. She then said that it dosn't have to come from your immediate family, it could be generations back. She did add that when it really got down to it, people who get acne are just "unlucky." I was told that they really just do not know why some get it.

I do suffer (and have for 14 years now!) from severe cystic acne. My dad or mom never did. I also have a friend who has perfect skin and her mom suffered from acne till like 45 years of age. So, the point I'm trying to make is you shouldn't hate or blame your father. I think that's very mean (I didn't check to see how old you are) and one day you may feel bad and regret doing that to him.

Acne sucks. It sucks when your young and trust me it sucks when your my age also. It's life-at least we are healthy and don't have cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest davidtheskinking

My mom had acne, and I did as well.

Honestly, I think genetics can play a big role but genetics can be changed now based on the biology of belief by bruce lipton.

I think what plays a bigger role is our diet and cosmetic choices.

These make up the cells and health of our internal organs and the skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×