Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Kaiser

Low Dose Accutane for Oily skin and mild acne

Well, i've had mild/moderate acne for a while and using the regimen i managed to keep it down to mild acne. There was one problem though, i have excessively oily skin, after an hour oil will be forming all over my face, and in 2 hours i'll be dripping with oil. If i'm with people i have to make an excuse to get away and wash my face either i just get far too self-conscious, i'm, pretty sure all my friends think i have some kind of bladder problem :whistle: and its now gotten to the stage where i'm so depressed about it i'd do anything to fix it.

I've tried everything for oily skin, and i mean everything and its gotten to the stage where i feel accutane is the only answer. I'm well aware of the risks and hope to negate some of the side effects by taking such a low dose. I started taking 5mg but have now upped it to 10mg a day and i don't plan on increasing it anymore.

Here's my thoughts up till now:

Day 1 to 5 - No changes really

Day 6 - I've been doing a bit of weightlifting recently and it kind of feels like my muscles are taking longer to heal.

Day 7 - Upped the dose to 10mg and.. Uh oh....biggest acne breakout i've had in over a year or so... my face is a mess. Getting spots on my forehead and nose, a place where i only rarely get any.

Day 8 - One of my biggest fears from taking this seems to be coming true, i think i'm losing hair. I was losing a bit of hair either side of my temple before i started accutane but i have a feeling this is accelerating the hair loss, i'll have to keep an eye on this, if it gets too bad i'll stop taking it.

Day 9 - Horrible Breakout still there, not healing very quickly, face is still horrible but there don't seem to be new spots forming.

Day 10 - Face still bad but again no new spots, they're just taking a while to heal. At last i seem to be getting some results though. Its been 3 hours since i had a shower and well i'm only getting a little bit of oil on my face :D

Edited by The Kaiser

Been on it for about a month and a half now, currently on 30mgs a day.

Acne is pretty much gone, i've got one spot on my forehead, thats about it. The only badside is spots i had a few weeks ago haven't really faded yet, they seem to take a long time to heal.

My oil production is very erratic. I had days on 10mgs a day where i wouldn't see any oil for like 5 hours (which for me is amazing) but on 30mgs ive had a few days where its been as oily as ever (although i think that was just for the few really hot humid days we had here that made my oil levels go back to crap levels). For the last couple of days it seems to be better. I'd say my oil production is about 30-40% of what it was (i have to wipe my face every 4 or 5 hours instead of 2, but it hasn't really shut my oil down completely. My nose is a bit prickly though, the blackheads are being pushed out but if i remove them they keep coming back, hopefully they will go soon.

Only major downsides are dry bottom lips (really painful before i got some vaseline) and the worst thing of all: Hair Loss. My temples have receded by a 1cm or so. They were starting to go before i took accutane but im pretty sure its accelerated the hair loss. Its not too bad though i guess although im thinking about going back to 10mg a day as im a bit worried about it.

Guest Timehealsall

how bad was ur ib?

are u getting any enlarged pores?

Didn't really get any IB at all, but then that might of been because i started from 5mg and worked my way up.

As for enlarged pores, i'm not getting any, if i did it would only be on my nose but it hasn't really dried up 100% so the blackheads are still there clogging up the pores.

Didn't really get any IB at all, but then that might of been because i started from 5mg and worked my way up.

As for enlarged pores, i'm not getting any, if i did it would only be on my nose but it hasn't really dried up 100% so the blackheads are still there clogging up the pores.

Hmm, too bad your blackheads aren't popping out, apparently that's suppose to happen? But I think only further along, so you're still early in the trial.

The only reason I don't start this is the fear of hair loss, I mean why does every fricken' medication have the "hair loss" potential side effect, it's insane... to treat one thing and have another creep up on you.

Apparently temporary hair loss is a common side effect, and any doctor I've seen has told me they've had no experience with it being permanent, so I wouldn't worry now that you're on it : )

Of course you'll find people online who've experienced no regrowth after the shed, but hey - you'll find at least a handfull of people online complaining of permanent hair loss for every medication, drug, drink, food, etc. out there, it's inevitable with the amount of people connected to the internet.

How's the hair loss going?

Think its been just over two months now

My face has changed quite a bit in the last 2 weeks, i think its taken so long because i started at such a low dose (5mg then 10 then 20 then 30). The oil is really drying up now and some of the pores on the very bottom of my nose have virtually disappeared, i still have lots of pores but its better than it was.

As for hair loss, its difficult to tell, its happening gradually, and its only on my temples, nowhere else. Some of the individuals hairs that have fallen out have grown back a little bit, its kind of like the hair is really weak and can fall out easily but hasn't permanently disappeared.

I've also developed very mild exzema on my upper arms, i think its just the accutane drying the skin out, the fact i have hot showers probably doesn't help. Its not bad at all though, just a bit itchy and dry.

Guest Timehealsall

pores as in holes disappeared?

or clogs

Been taking 10mg a day for well over a year now and i've got to say i don't regret taking it in the slightest. My skin is pretty flawless, i used to have super oily skin but thats completely stopped now, its completely cured my acne as well.

My only side effects have been slightly dry lips (not that bad though) and possibly a bit of hair loss. My hairline is receding very slowly, it still looks fine and normal but its just whether it will be like that in 5 years time :P, its pretty difficult to say whether or not its natural though as it did start going before i took accutane. My siblings never started losing hair at my age (21) but then some of my cousins were bald by 30.