Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KissDontTell

Vanessa's Personal Regimen

August 14

Well, I started using my HA serum (the plain one) that's been sitting under my counter. That's 3 serums that I'm using on my face now. (: And I'm not stingy with them, either...I'm apply them very generously lmao. Especially on my scars. I've also been using my rosehip oil, but I think I need to buy a full size because it's very, very inconvenient having to struggle to get a few tiny drops out of that tiny container. And it's all oily and greasy. >_> I also want to buy some grape seed extract supplements this week, and restock on my zinc and alpha lipoic acid. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I'm now taking 2 Vitamin C capsules a day (1200mg) and 2 ALA capsules (200mg). I want my skin to GLOW. biggrin.png

I know my birthday isn't for another 2 months, but I totally want a facial steamer. That would be so awesome.

August 16

Mmk so this has nothing to do with my acne, but I broke my glasses yesterday (the tip of the arm that goes over your ear) and I'm basically blind right now. -_- VERY annoying! I brought them back to the store to get them fixed but they haven't called me back yet, so using the internet is a pain in the ass right now.

Moving on...so far, so good with the rosehip oil. I'm going to look into which other oils are good for acne scarring and healing of the skin. I've been using that cucumber mask almost every night >< It's supposed to be a once a week kinda thing LOL but my skin is in pretty bad condition with the dehydration and all, so I'm just trying to get it back on track. I keep the mask on for about 2 hours so it really sinks in and moisturizes. Apparently, my blackhead situation will improve once my skin is properly hydrated. I'm looking forward to that because these things are gross. >_>

I predict that the rest of my GoW products will come either at the end of next week, or the beginning of the following week. amused.gif I reeeeally want to try spot treating with the scar gel.

Lastly, I know I don't talk about my diet much anymore but I am still doing the whole gluten, dairy and soy free thing. I'm also on a low sodium diet and do not use refined sugar. And I recently stopped eating all meat except for fish...but this is NOT a permanent thing, just experimenting. tongue.png Surprisingly though, I don't really miss chicken. Hmm. Fish is very, very delicious by the way.

I was craving oatmeal SO badly these past few weeks, so I went out and bought some gluten free rolled oats yesterday. I put in some cinnamon (okay, a lot of cinnamon) and applesauce. lI am in love. Who the hell needs Quaker Oats anyway? Tbh I could have eaten it just some cinnamon and it would have tasted fantastic.

Speak of the devil, my GoW products came! biggrin.png This company has THE BEST SHIPPING ever. I literally just ordered these products a few days ago and they just left for delivery 3 days ago. Three days ago! I'm seriously impressed. Well I'm about to head out the door so I'll update later on or tomorrow once I get a look at the products.

Alright, I'm back with some first impressions. I tried the Myrrh hydrosol gel, the Go Away Scar Gel, & the Immortelle/Helichysum hydrosol. First off, the hydrosol...I sprayed this on my face and was taken aback by the very strong scent. Very, very sweet smelling... kinda reminds me of maple syrup? I prefer this smell to the yarrow hydrosol, lol.

Next, I applied a few drops of the myrrh hydrosol gel. First of all...the colour. It's brownish-beige. o__o When I pat it on my skin, it absorbed very quickly and easily, and I applied it all over my face. Then I used my HA serum on top of that, and my super hydrating gel all over my skin except for the scarring on my left cheek. This is because I spot treated the scarred areas with the Go Away Scar Gel. The colour of this gel reminds me of this disgusting antibiotic I had to take back when I was a kid. It's a sickly looking yellow greenish colour. o__o Lmao. A little goes a looong way with this product...it will probably last me a very long time. I topped everything off with a few drops of rosehip oil.

Well, that's it! I will keep using these new products and update as the week goes on...

Edited by KissDontTell

August 20

Well, I'm having a serious dilemma this morning. I decided to experiment and try the Clary Sage hydrosol while washing my face...BIG mistake. It almost instantly had a super drying effect on my skin. Drying + dehydrated skin = disaster. My face feels and looks so tight and dried out right now. I know that is says it has an astringent effect but I was NOT expecting that to happen at all. That will be my first and last time using that particular hydrosol, and I will most likely give it to my mom because she has oily skin.

I don't know if anyone is reading this, but if you have excessively oily skin I definitely recommend trying this...literally sucks up all the sebum off your face. >_> Here's a plus: IT SMELLS SO GOOD! Like chocolate cake. Loveeee it. Too bad it's just way too drying for my skin right now.cry.gif

I would like to try some other hydrosols that have moisturizing and calming properties. Lavender is supposed to be great for all skin types and very anti-inflammatory. I really really want to try Rose as well (and Rose Geranium). Both are for dry skin and extremely hydrating. I want to try Carrot Seed and Frankincense too.

I can't wait to wash my face later and slather on some oil. I think I might have to double up and use both my cream moisturizer and the rosehip oil tonight. This is just really bad lol.

August 21

Late night update, yeahhhh! Lol so it's 2 in the morning and i just woke up (fucked up sleeping schedule, I know). I've decided I'm going to order some rosehip oil from New Directions Aromatics. I refuse to pay $50-60 for 100mL of product from Pure + simple unless I 100% have to. That's ridiculous. For whatever reason, they don't list on their website whether or not their organic rosehip oil is refined or unrefined, so using information from various resources online and also my own common sense, I've concluded that this oil IS refined, even though I called one of their spa locations and the girl who answered told me that she was "pretty sure it was unrefined, it's just organic rosehip oil". Um yeah, the way answered the question told me that she honestly had no clue what she was talking about.

ANYWAY, the colour looks too light, and it has no distinct smell, so based on those characteristics I'm assuming that their product is refined and therefore there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying such an absurd amount of money for the full size....unless I can't find anything better. On NDA, they sell refined rosehip oil 473mL for $16.88. That's right, 17 bucks! For almost half a litre of product. eusa_dance.gif I would try the unrefined version, but since I've already been using the refined one I'll stick with that just to be on the safe side...at least for now. I also want to try seabuckthorn oil but that will be at a later date.

Something that I will be repurchasing from Pure + simple is their cucumber mask. (: I love it so so so much. I would also like to try their rosehip mask one day...

Hmm what else. I've been noticing that a lot of blackheads are being pushed to the surface of my skin. If I was a "squeezer", I'd have a fucking field day with my face right now. They are so ready to be extracted...but I'm just letting them come out naturally. Some areas are a bit inflamed, but once again I'm making sure to avoid any irritation. I'm definitely going to look into buying a facial steamer. I think I'd benefit a lot from regular steaming/exfoliation/masks, since my acne is primarily blackheads and congestion.

man i have read most of this blog if not all of it over time and think its frickin awesome ! :)

I wish i had done something like this to keep track of the stuff i have tried and what effect it had on my skin!

just thought i would chime in to say that people do read these blogs even if they don't comment.

man i have read most of this blog if not all of it over time and think its frickin awesome ! smile.png

I wish i had done something like this to keep track of the stuff i have tried and what effect it had on my skin!

just thought i would chime in to say that people do read these blogs even if they don't comment.

biggrin.png Thanks so much! banana.gif I always wonder if anyone actually reads my posts...so it's cool to get comments like this. I hope that my log will help people to learn from my many, many mistakes. Lol. ><

August 25

Disclaimer: Yeah, this is a rant.

I am so so so so so so annoyed, frustrated, and fed up with my skin right now. My left cheek keeps scarring and I DON'T KNOW WHY. Like it looks like someone took a knife to my face and made small slits in my skin. What the fuck? What the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? It's not even like it's all over my face. IT'S ONLY HAPPENING TO MY LEFT CHEEK! WHY? WHAT AM I FUCKING DOING? I don't use RAM anymore, I can't even remember the last time I used a beta or alpha hydroxy acid. I don't use facial scrubs. I've been so diligent in moisturizing properly and being gentle. I had to fucking train myself not to sleep on my left anymore just because I was scared I would aggravate my cheek, which SUCKS because I hate sleeping on my right side! I wash my face with ONE FINGER to avoid any irritation. Yes, seriously! ONE FINGER! I admit that I don't wear sunscreen on my face but I fucking stay out of the sun. And on top of everything, I am breaking out/purging right now. Because of these motherfucking blackheads! I could punch something right now. -_- I am trying to stay calm right now and think rationally....which is very hard because I am under a lot of stress and the ONE thing I should have some kind of control over, my skin, I don't even have any sort of control over that either. Give me a fucking break! In my life, if it's not one thing, it's another. Always.

I've been experimenting with a lot of different products these past 2 and a half weeks, and you know what? I am DONE. Cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. That is it. No serums, no hydrosols, no oils, no masks, nothing. I am starting over. I am getting to the bottom of this bullshit once and for all.

I am going to slowly add things back into my routine over the next few weeks and months. I'm tired of my skin being dehydrated and congested and oily and sensitive. SO TIRED OF IT. I swear I'm not using anything other than my face wash, my witch hazel, and my fucking moisturizer and sunscreen until my skin calms the fuck down.

I'm done. Done. Seriously, I am very close to adopting my younger sister's simple ass regimen: plain old witch hazel. -_- She doesn't even wash her face with water! Yeah she has acne, but does she have hyperpigmentation? No. Does she have scars? No. Irritated skin, sensitive skin, oily skin? No. I'm actually looking forward to this because it takes an eternity every time I wash my face and apply my products, so this is going to majorly cut down my washroom time. I will definitely keep updating during the next few weeks as I ditch my products and wait for my skin to heal on its own.

For the record, I am still using the same products as always: Organique by Himalaya Neem and Turmeric Face Wash, Earthwise Natural Witch Hazel Distillate, and Dr Dennis Gross Trifix Oil Free Moisturizer. These 3 products have been by my side through thick and thin, and they are all that I'm going to use until I finally get this issue under control. Even if I break out, I need my skin to feel normal again. It's been irritated and dehydrated for so long that I don't even remember what normal skin feels like anymore. I can't even smile and laugh like I used to, that's how bad this is.

Thank goodness for this website because whenever I need to vent, I know I can always come to this thread and rant without people judging me. Lol.

Just some more food for thought. I've read other posts online from people experiencing this same phenomenon - random scars/lines appearing in their skin - and there is ALWAYS one common part to the story: Accutane or another topical retinoid. The million dollar question is, how long does it take after stopping said medications for your skin to recover? I know that I didn't do myself any good when I went buckwild with the chemical peels and exfoliating a couple of months ago. I just hope and pray that my skin will just heal by itself if I leave it alone and stop going crazy with all these supposed "healing and repairing" products i.e. hyaluronic acid, essential oils, rosehip oil, etc. And I'm going to make sure I apply sunscreen before going out. Going to do more research on this, I'll be back when I find more information and hopefully some possible solutions.

August 28

Late night/early morning post because I am friggin' bored.

School is starting in a week, which I'm grateful for. Anything to distract me from obsessing over my skin is a blessing. I notice that I have this weird tingling, prickly feeling in my left cheek, but not anywhere else on my face....really really really strange and I'm beginning to think that there's a correlation between this and the fact that I only scar on that cheek. ugh my life.

It's awesome not having to spend a lifetime in the bathroom applying all this bullshit to my face. I've also started to steam my face while taking a bath/shower to try and encourage all these blackheads to loosen up and I think it's working. My pores are so clogged.

My skin is already beginning to feel less dehydrated...leading me to believe that maybe, less really is more. >_> Once my skin heals, I want to add back oils into my regimen. Lavender, tea tree, and rosehip. But we'll see how this more simple routine goes first.

Edited by KissDontTell

August 29

Well, this morning I didn't even use cleanser. I simply splashed my face with water, wiped it down with some witch hazel and applying a shitload of moisturizer. Last night my face (mostly my left cheek, as usual) was so tight and dry that I decided I had to take drastic measures. I probably won't even use a toner later on, and just rinse with water and put on some moisturizer. I have so many fucking superficial lines on my cheeks from them being dried out and some of them have gotten deep to the point where they have developed into actual scars. Absolutely RIDICULOUS. Idk if I should mix a drop of two into my moisturizer later on, just for extra moisture. Totally desperate...I can NOT let my skin dry out. It's crucial that I keep it properly hydrated at all times and avoid all possible irritation. I'm also looking into hyaluronic acid supplements for my skin. I read a testimonial from another woman online who fucked up her face after using Retin-A and chemical peels and her situation sounded really familiar, and after taking these supplements and using this cream and she's repaired her skin. She also used rosehip oil.

I think I'm going to start taking my evening primrose oil supplements again. And perhaps start taking fish oil too, even though I remember it making my skin very oily. I need to fix this because I refuse to let my skin continue to deteriorate.

September 1

My routine for the past few days has been the following: in the morning I rinse with water, pat dry, and apply sunscreen (leaves my face really greasy but the sun protection is necessary). In the evening I rinse with water, wipe with witch hazel, pat dry and then apply my moisturizer generously. The witch hazel is more drying than I want right now, but I feel like I need something to remove the sunscreen. On days which I don't wear sunscreen, I will skip the witch hazel and just use water and moisturizer. It's only been a couple of days, but my skin looks and feels like it's FINALLY on the mend. The tight, dry, uncomfortable feeling has improved slightly. Another positive thing to note is that my skin no longer has that weird "sheen" to it that it had when my dehydration was at its worst. It actually looks moisturized. This bullshit is frustrating, but I need to resolve this issue before tackling my acne again. >_> I've learned my lesson, folks. I gently "exfoliated" my right cheek with a damp cotton pad and some blackheads came out. Gross. They make my pores look ginormous. I'm not sure how many more weeks/months it's going to take for my skin to reach a point where I can begin to actually exfoliate again, but when that time comes, at least I'll know what my skin can tolerate. I would love to start off once every 2 weeks to begin...and work my way up to once a week. But that's just me thinking ahead. I still have a long way to go.

unsure.png Hopefully when the irritation dies down, my scarring begins to heal as well! All of these issues are related to one another...once I solve one, the rest will fall into place...but I would love to help speed up the process internally.

I'm looking into adding some more supplements into my regimen....am I obsessed? Yeah, probably. So far I'm interested in Neocell Super Collagen Type 1 + 3, Neocell Fish Collagen + HA, and a hyaluronic acid supplement (still searching for one). I want to start taking these ASAP while my scars and skin damage are still relatively new, so there's a better chance for a full recovery.

Edited by KissDontTell

Ive read through some of your posts and totally understand the constant obsessing about your skin all the time. It's like this with me aswell and its constantly in my mind, worrying about how I look, What foods to eat, scared to put things on my face im just thinking about how horrible my face looks all the time .

Thanks for recommending that moisturizer to me and I think im going to buy it and just start putting it on because my skin is just getting worse all the time with me just leaving it been dehydrated all the time because im so scared of blocking up the pores in my face more. Its just madness how it can take over your life ent it? =/

Ive researched everything so much as soon as I hear of a possible downside to something it just makes me extremely scared to try anything so I end up doing nothing and it just gets worse =/

Hopefully you start getting some luck with your skin soon and everything turns round for you because I can totally relate to having your skin rule your life and solving this problem will mean we can all go about our lives been more pleased with out appearance. Obviously apperance's shouldn't matter in life but to a lot of people, including myself in this, they matter loads and it can really destroy your confidence / personality when you feel that people are judging you on your skin.

Some of the things you write are hilarious by the way, lmaooo. Just remember to try and feel good about yourself even with skin problems and they may not be anywhere near as noticable to other people as they are to you, I bet you look beautiful anyway.

I wish I could follow my own advice and not feel so self conscious about my skin all the time =/

Anyway im just going on and on now but just try and be happy and have a good life and hope your skin gets better soon =) and ill let you know if I try anything that works for my skin.

wink.png

Edited by Need Solutions

Ive read through some of your posts and totally understand the constant obsessing about your skin all the time. It's like this with me aswell and its constantly in my mind, worrying about how I look, What foods to eat, scared to put things on my face im just thinking about how horrible my face looks all the time .

Thanks for recommending that moisturizer to me and I think im going to buy it and just start putting it on because my skin is just getting worse all the time with me just leaving it been dehydrated all the time because im so scared of blocking up the pores in my face more. Its just madness how it can take over your life ent it? =/

Ive researched everything so much as soon as I hear of a possible downside to something it just makes me extremely scared to try anything so I end up doing nothing and it just gets worse =/

Hopefully you start getting some luck with your skin soon and everything turns round for you because I can totally relate to having your skin rule your life and solving this problem will mean we can all go about our lives been more pleased with out appearance. Obviously apperance's shouldn't matter in life but to a lot of people, including myself in this, they matter loads and it can really destroy your confidence / personality when you feel that people are judging you on your skin.

Some of the things you write are hilarious by the way, lmaooo. Just remember to try and feel good about yourself even with skin problems and they may not be anywhere near as noticable to other people as they are to you, I bet you look beautiful anyway.

I wish I could follow my own advice and not feel so self conscious about my skin all the time =/

Anyway im just going on and on now but just try and be happy and have a good life and hope your skin gets better soon =) and ill let you know if I try anything that works for my skin.

wink.png

Aww thank you so much for the super nice message. If only you knew how hard this made me smile. tongue.png

Yeah, definitely start using a moisturizer! It might seem like your pores are getting more clogged but you can fix that later. TRUST ME, it's practially impossible to treat all your skin issues at once. I tried to do that and I fucked over my face. -_-

I've really been making an effort to stop obsessing over my skin. School just started this week and I'm realizing that there are quite a few people my age with acne and scars, and they all seem really happy, outgoing and very friendly. And I'm just here thinking that, you know what? You don't need to have perfect skin to lead a normal and happy life. Life still goes on. Obviously I want clear skin, but I'm not going to mope around and be depressed while waiting for that to happen. What's the sense in that???

I'll try to be more positive about my skin, but you have to promise that you'll do the same. I know that you'll find a routine that works for you, it just takes time. wink.png I'm always here if you need any kind of support. n_n

September 9

I'm back, after an awesome first week of school! It's been roughly 2 weeks since adopting my new "super simple" regimen of only moisturizer, sunscreen, and (occasionally) witch hazel. So far, so good. My skin looks and feels less dehydrated and irritated. I don't want to speak too soon because it's only been a few weeks, but I'm sticking to this until I'm 200% confident that my skin is ready to be reintroduced to other products. I can't believe that I'm not using a cleanser on my super gross, oily skin. It's surreal. I also just finished my period and I'm shocked that my face didn't explode. Any ladies reading this, please look into Estrosmart Plus supplements for hormonal acne and other PMS symptoms. It might just work for you.

Anyway, what else has been going on....I've been eating a lot of "outside food" lately, which I try not to do because I don't know what's being put it in & how it's going to affect my skin. This is what acne does to you, you second guess EVERYTHING. glare.gif There's a Jamaican/Caribbean food place by my school, which is definitely the best option when you compare it to the Pizza Pizza, McDonald's, and other gluten loaded foods also available. I'm trying not to make it a habit though because the food is crazy expensive and being a Jamaican, I have access to make this stuff at home.....so yeah. I also had some shawarma from some pita place, but it was nowhere as delicious as the shawarma in my neighbourhood. Soooo fucking good, oh my goodness. I've also been eating a lot of curry lately! I just cooked some curried fish actually, which is SO YUMMY. My cooking is pretty amazing, not even going to lie LOL. I know that herbs and spices are anti-inflammatory and awesome for acne, so I always make sure to use a lot of seasonings when cooking. Curry seasoning is packed full of anti-inflammatory goodness (turmeric, cayenne peppers, coriander, etc etc) so you just can't go wrong! And of course, fish is also good for you as well. I love food, seriously.

I bought more alpha lipoic acid, but this time I decided to be more money smart and I purchased the bottle of 120 250mg capsules. This makes so much more sense than buying a bottle of 60 100mg capsules, because if I'm taking 2 of those a day (200mg), then it's only lasting me a month... as opposed to taking 1 250mg capsule a day, which will last me 4 months. *my math skills are absolutely horrible but I'm pretty sure this is correct* So yep, my dosage has now been increased to 250mg. Apparently ALA helps to heal acne scarring? I have never heard of this until recently, but if that's true then I'm going to make sure I take this shit every single morning without fail. I'm still taking my zinc and Vitamin C as well.

Anyhoo, I have homework to do...I'll be back later on in the week~