Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karenelizabeth11

Okay to tan (naturally)?

Hello all, I'm new to this board but I have been reading the posts for months. A couple months ago, I stupidly decided to stop using moisturizer and it resulted in a horrible break out in random spots on my face-places I had never broken out before. Anyway, my left cheek got the worst of it. However, I snapped back to my senses and started using a moisturizer and now I only have 1 active pimple on my left cheek, but I have plenty of red marks.

post-153823-1309986818_thumb.jpg

I started using tamanu oil and I'm going to begin using ACV soon. However my real question is- is it okay to tan? I've spent the past few months avoiding the sun, but now my face is at least 2 shades lighter than my body. I would really like to tan my face and chest naturally (wearing SPF of course), and I was just wondering if this would have any adverse effects on my PIH?

post-153823-1309986818_thumb.jpg

There have been others on the board which have said that the sun or tanning has prolonged the healing process for their red marks. On the other hand, someone like myself had found this method beneficial, as it had masked the marks.

So far from my experience I hadn't noticed any darkening or fading complications from doing so, and I plan to keep on being in sun exposure throughout the summertime.

Having applied an SPF is a smart idea, and the choice is really up to you.

Edited by psycho

On the other hand, someone like myself had found this method beneficial, as it had masked the marks.

So far from my experience I hadn't noticed any darkening or fading complications from doing so, and I plan to keep on being in sun exposure throughout the summertime.

How much SPF do you wear? Also, how long do you stay in the sun for? Thank you for your help.

On the other hand, someone like myself had found this method beneficial, as it had masked the marks.

How much SPF do you wear? Also, how long do you stay in the sun for? Thank you for your help.

I'm not going to go into detail because everyone is different on how they react towards the sun. A low SPF preferably to prevent sunburn and anywhere around 30 minutes to an hour daily.

It makes sense that a tan would conceal red marks pretty well.. because it does. However, I am pretty sure the sun darkens the marks. It is not a good idea to tan in the sun if you have active acne and/or red marks on your face. If you wish to lighten the rest of your body so that your face matches and isn't 2 shades lighter, I recommend buying Likas Papaya Soap and using it every time you shower. This soap has been around for a long time and is a staple in Filipino women's skin care routine. It has won many awards too for its powerful skin lightening properties. The soap will cost $3-10 depending on whether or not you can purchase it in a local store or if you have to order it online. It will also dry you out when you use it. It won't dry you out to the point in which you are flaking, but your skin will feel a little tight so it is advisable to follow up with a moisturizer (which you have no problem with, because you do that already!)

If you wish to lighten the rest of your body so that your face matches and isn't 2 shades lighter, I recommend buying Likas Papaya Soap and using it every time you shower. This soap has been around for a long time and is a staple in Filipino women's skin care routine. It has won many awards too for its powerful skin lightening properties. The soap will cost $3-10 depending on whether or not you can purchase it in a local store or if you have to order it online. It will also dry you out when you use it. It won't dry you out to the point in which you are flaking, but your skin will feel a little tight so it is advisable to follow up with a moisturizer (which you have no problem with, because you do that already!)

Wow this soap has great reviews! I'm just wondering if it would be okay to use on my face too? I know that would be opposite of me getting a tan but all these people claim it brightens their skin as well as lightens it...

If you wish to lighten the rest of your body so that your face matches and isn't 2 shades lighter, I recommend buying Likas Papaya Soap and using it every time you shower. This soap has been around for a long time and is a staple in Filipino women's skin care routine. It has won many awards too for its powerful skin lightening properties. The soap will cost $3-10 depending on whether or not you can purchase it in a local store or if you have to order it online. It will also dry you out when you use it. It won't dry you out to the point in which you are flaking, but your skin will feel a little tight so it is advisable to follow up with a moisturizer (which you have no problem with, because you do that already!)

Wow this soap has great reviews! I'm just wondering if it would be okay to use on my face too? I know that would be opposite of me getting a tan but all these people claim it brightens their skin as well as lightens it...

It's all up to you :)

Yes, it is fine to use on your face. It is just a bar soap that can be used for face and body. I bought two bars and plan on cleansing in the morning and in the evening. I have pictures of my red marks, so I will keep you updated. I hope I see results soon. I'm so tired of these little marks all over my face. I have no more acne left, but these marks never go away. They're haunting me :(

Yes, it is fine to use on your face. It is just a bar soap that can be used for face and body. I bought two bars and plan on cleansing in the morning and in the evening. I have pictures of my red marks, so I will keep you updated. I hope I see results soon. I'm so tired of these little marks all over my face. I have no more acne left, but these marks never go away. They're haunting me :(

Yes I would love to hear your updates :) I plan to buy a couple of bars too. Aww I totally know how you feel. I feel like my red marks are holding me back from so many things and I just want them to be gone. :( We can get through this! :)

I hate laying in the sun or being in the sun for that matter

but i would of thought tanning would help with marks.

Yes I would love to hear your updates :) I plan to buy a couple of bars too. Aww I totally know how you feel. I feel like my red marks are holding me back from so many things and I just want them to be gone. :( We can get through this! :)

Fortunately, mine have faded a lot within the past year. I took Accutane as well. Mine are not that noticeable, but they are still there. I've been using the soap for 2 days now. No noticeable difference, yet, but I know that it takes at least 6 weeks of using any product to see results.

I hate laying in the sun or being in the sun for that matter

but i would of thought tanning would help with marks.

Yeah, you would think that it 'helps', but it only works temporarily. It's just a mask. Eventually after skin flaking off naturally and with exfoliation, the tan goes away and you run the risk of having your marks darkened by the sun. I am really dedicated to protecting my face from the sun because I don't want to get sun spots or more freckles. Sun spots are difficult to fade.