Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my first post on this website ever :D I am so happy I finally decided to make an account on here. This post is long, but please take the time to read it! It has good stories and lessons.

Before I get to my discussion let me introduce myself. My story: I am a 15 (16 in 2 months) year old girl, going into the 11th grade. I have had acne since..oh I don't know...8th grade? I have only had acne for 3 going on 4 years, but it seems like my whole life. I can't even remember what it was like to have clear skin. Currently I am using the DKR. I have used every face product brand out there, Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Burts Bees, Proactiv, some other face wash (I dont know the brand I bought it online). I've also used tazorac, differin, and gone on antibiotic pills. I have tried multiple products from each brand and the one that has worked the best so far is proactiv and DKR. I prefer DKR because my face isn't as dry and I feel like all proactiv wants you to do is buy their product. Acne has affected me in so many ways. I used to spend days in my room just watching tv doing nothing. I was so ashamed of my face. I hated sleep overs and going swimming. I used to sleep in my makeup at the sleep overs, and not get my face wet swimming. Makeup became my biggest crutch ever. That's what I want to talk about.

If you have acne then chances are you use makeup. If not, I applaud you :clap:. That takes some serious guts. Here is my makeup story: ever since I started getting acne I relied on makeup. Never left the house without it, ever. Swimming, sleepovers, whatever it may be I wore it. I was always the girl in the pool who turned her head away when people splashed her, for fear of messing up her makeup. You know that game when you sneak up behind someone and they cover your eyes? One of my guy friends did that to me and I got so mad at him :shock:. I was like stop your gonna mess up my makeup around my eyes, and ran into the bathroom! I always carried foundation to school, and in between classes I would run into the bathroom and apply more makeup. By the way the makeup I use is bare minerals matte. If I was running late for school I would apply my foundation on the way to the bus stop. I was obsessed! My makeup craze got so bad when one day I looked in the car side mirror to check my makeup. BAD decission. Car mirrors are the worst to look in, as they make you look horrible! Especially if you have acne! I then became obsessed and constantly reapplied makeup.

Then my makeup life changed. I was in Florida last week and got such a bad sunburn on my face. I didn't put any sunscreen on my face for fear I would break out. Well sure enought my face burned, and to prevent it from getting worse the next day I put sunscreen on my face. Well, my fear came true I broke out from it. I ended up with an acne covered, red, peeling face that was leaking some clear liquid due to the severity of my sunburn. Being the makeup freak I was, I instantly began slapping on the makeup. Obsessing over my skin! The makeup of course looked horrible because of my peeling and leaking face. So I just decided to stop wearing it for the rest of my vacation, no makeup for 7 days.

I felt so self conscience! I wanted to cry at times. When taking pictures I told people to zoom out on the pictures so my face wasn't so zoomed in on. My makeup mask was gone, I was totally expossed :(

Thank god for that! By the end of the trip I couldn't beleive how makeup had negatively affected me! This whole time I thought it had been helping, when in reality it was just hurting me! I loved getting ready in the morning! It was so quick: get dressed, do my hair, leave! It took 15 minutes! Before I would spend just an hour on my makeup!I realized people still talked to me even when my acne (and at the time GROSS sunburned face) was showing! It was amazing! Like wait your still talking to me even when I look like this? And by the last day of the trip I actually felt pretty with no makeup on! What!?! :dance:

Now lets talk :) This is what I realized. Most people with acne have little confidence, if any. So us girls (and guys too) slap on the makeup to hide the acne. It's like a mask, but underneath the mask is still an unconfident person. This has got to change! You need to be confident with your plain self first, then add the makeup! It's like when building a house you need a strong foundation first, then you can add the other stuff. Well, the foundation is your confidence, and the other stuff is your makeup. You can't add the other stuff onto a cracked foundation, it may last for a while but then it's going to break. And during vacation I broke. Now I'm rebuilding my confidence (foundation) by learning to love myself without the makeup and then adding it. It sounds crazy, but it works. Just try going makeup FREE (not a little, FREE) for two weeks. Thats my challenge to you! Just 14 days! I think at the end you'll find what I am saying is true. I am currently on my 3rd week of going makeup free. And my skin is actually clearing up faster without all the makeup :dance: Plus I am much happier now that I am not constantly worrying about how my makeup looks!

Now I want you to post your story of makeup. Do you wear it? How does it affect you? Are you obsessed? If you don't wear makeup tell us your story too!

And last question, are you gonna take my challenge?? :D I have a friend doing it and her face cleared up!! Her skin looks much better :dance:

I want to leave you with one final thing. If you do try and go makeup free and you feel your confidence lowering I want you to think do I want to show my true natural self? Or be faked up caked up in make up? I say that saying all the time: Faked up caked up in makeup. It helps me :lol:

Edited by We are in this together

You're annoyingly right in the fact that skin would do better without make up. I wish I could ditch it, but ... I don't have the guts.

For some of us, make up gives us the confidence to go out in the day. Without it, we're even more self-conscious of our skin. I'd love to strip the make up away and build up my confidence from there, but I don't know if I would be able to do it. It's a big step.

Kudos to you though for achieving it! :clap:

You're annoyingly right in the fact that skin would do better without make up. I wish I could ditch it, but ... I don't have the guts.

For some of us, make up gives us the confidence to go out in the day. Without it, we're even more self-conscious of our skin. I'd love to strip the make up away and build up my confidence from there, but I don't know if I would be able to do it. It's a big step.

Kudos to you though for achieving it! :clap:

Oh trust me I never would have stopped wearing it if that whole freak sunburn situation didn't happen. I know stopping using makeup is hard. And I'm not saying you have to stop. Just temporarily stop, or even just reduce the amount you use. What do u currently wear?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Nice :D Although I went makeup-free for uh.. well a year now (actually since 2009, but I didn't have skin issues again until 2010) and my confidence was still shit. It only improved when I improved my acne. So now I'm actually leaving the house as a choice. Today is my first venture, going to the gym! I'm hoping my old gym crush is there, since I do feel way better about my skin despite the red marks. But I realize that hte red marks are just marks, and it doesn't matter that they are there.

Ya I currently have 3 white heads on my face, and lots of red marks (which are fading). I mostly used makeup for red marks, but then that caused me to break out. But ya you're right they are just red marks! Good job for going make up free :clap: Any advice about helping me stay makeup free?

I'm using Dermablend but I'm thinking about switching it because it's quite heavy. I have actually cut down on the amount of foundation I put on, and it makes me feel more natural :dance: plus now I don't go ape when someone touches my face, because wearing less make up means it's harder to rub off.

I'm using Dermablend but I'm thinking about switching it because it's quite heavy. I have actually cut down on the amount of foundation I put on, and it makes me feel more natural :dance: plus now I don't go ape when someone touches my face, because wearing less make up means it's harder to rub off.

Haha ya I did freak out when someone touched my face when I used to wear a lot of makeup. Thank god my friends loved me enough to put up with me yelling at them for touching my face :razz: But well thats good you have been cutting down on makeup :clap: it takes a lot of courage! I have never heard of dermablend; I use (or used to use) bare minerals matte. I liked the coverage, but I'm still experimenting with if it breaks me out or not.

I'm 22 and have been makeup free my whole life, with almost zero confidence. Only recently have I purchased makeup (only light powder and concealer) and I feel better about my appearance when I wear it. I don't know why I was so anti-makeup before. I have moderate acne too! I got sick of looking at it and purchased some makeup. If I didn't have acne, I wouldn't wear makeup. I am so glad you have confidence without it though. :clap:

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I'm 22 and have been makeup free my whole life, with almost zero confidence. Only recently have I purchased makeup (only light powder and concealer) and I feel better about my appearance when I wear it. I don't know why I was so anti-makeup before. I have moderate acne too! I got sick of looking at it and purchased some makeup. If I didn't have acne, I wouldn't wear makeup. I am so glad you have confidence without it though. :clap:

Ya I love being makeup free. But we all have our own cup of tea. The only problem I have with makeup is must people hate themselves without it, and like themselves better with makeup. This isn't right, you need to love yourself without makeup then add it in as a confidence booster. If all you are wearing is light powder and concealer then you are fine. That's not too heavy. As long as it doesn't look fake and caked on. When school starts back up again I probably will go back to a light powder, but now I know if I wake up late and don't have time to put makeup on I'm not gonna die. Where as before I probably would have skipped school :lol:

I actually love being makeup-free, but I also love the art of makeup. So I dislike foundation for how it feels, but still love wearing eye and lip makeup. Which I'll start wearing again in the fall for school unless I'm too lazy to put it on in the morning :D And now I actually don't feel the need to wear makeup when I am with family or friends, or something simple like shopping.

I love being makeup-free too, and would feel comfortable about if I didn't have very red marks on my face. When my acne isn't that bad and I don't have very red marks I don't wear makeup. I dunno, I just feel better when I put some concealer on my red spots to hide them, makes me feel less like people are staring.

Nice :D Although I went makeup-free for uh.. well a year now (actually since 2009, but I didn't have skin issues again until 2010) and my confidence was still shit. It only improved when I improved my acne. So now I'm actually leaving the house as a choice. Today is my first venture, going to the gym! I'm hoping my old gym crush is there, since I do feel way better about my skin despite the red marks. But I realize that hte red marks are just marks, and it doesn't matter that they are there.

Ya I currently have 3 white heads on my face, and lots of red marks (which are fading). I mostly used makeup for red marks, but then that caused me to break out. But ya you're right they are just red marks! Good job for going make up free :clap: Any advice about helping me stay makeup free?

Yeah I just have red marks and uneven texture on ym cheeks that bothers me. I am no longer concerned when I get a few pimples, although I don't love it!

Hm, I dunno. When I went makeup-free, I did have red marks, but not that bad. For a few weeks I felt like everyone was staring at me and judging me. But a friend basically said "well you look the same" and so I started to feel better. Eventually, those glances no longer felt like stares and then felt like normal glancing-at-someone-passing-me-by glances (even though they were exactly the same as they'd been weeks earlier). And I just felt happy not wearing it! I guess it's just a time thing. You have to decide to feel a certain way about yourself, and eventually, if you stick with it, it becomes a permanent fixture. Like my nose, I used to hate it because of the large lump. And now I think my nose looks really good on me! I would originally try and never let people see me from angles or the side, and now I actually never think about it. Happened with my chest as well, I used to hate my small boobs, but then eventually I loved them. Seeing the girls in my 10th grade gym class hold their boobs up with the back of their hands when doing laps helped ;) I think it's all about finding that thing that changes your mind set, and making sure your mindset doesn't revert.

Funny you mentioned how you used to hate your nose, because up until a month ago I hated mine too! I guess I just realized I'm my biggest critic. I've only ever gotten compliments on how pretty I am from other people, yet I pick out the ugly things about me. I have come to the realization I gotta love myself :wub: Thanks for the advice though! I'm gonna try and stay makeup free (with the exception of eye makeup) until school starts (2 months). Then I might just add some powder. Although I really don't want to... :think:

I also want to add something, I hope I didn't offend anyone that does wear makeup. I'm not trying to say you aren't a confident person or anything like that. I am just pointing out that SOME people with makeup are simply using it as a mask. And deep down they don't like themselves without makeup. That is how I was. I really didn't mean that makeup is bad or anything. Just wanted to say that ;)

Edited by We are in this together

I stopped wearing makeup several months ago. It's an awesome feeling. I still have a couple red marks, but they are fading. I don't even bother with liquid foundation or concealer anymore. I only wear eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. I think I look better without makeup than I ever did when I actually wore it. I could never blend it correctly. I always thought it looked fake on me.

I stopped wearing makeup several months ago. It's an awesome feeling. I still have a couple red marks, but they are fading. I don't even bother with liquid foundation or concealer anymore. I only wear eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. I think I look better without makeup than I ever did when I actually wore it. I could never blend it correctly. I always thought it looked fake on me.

Good for you!! :clap::dance: Ya I only wear eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara now too. Ya I never could get my makeup to blend either! In some spots it looked orange, and others cakey. But I figured that was better than showing my bad skin. Now I realized it wasn't better, and that my skin actually looks ok. I was just so used to it with makeup that when I didnt have it on, I felt my skin looked bad. Only now I realized it actually looks fine :D

I would get comments from relatives and even the cashier at Wal-Mart telling me that my face didn't match my neck. My face would always be lighter or darker no matter how much I blended. It was such a hassle. I think that all the makeup I was wearing in the amount that I used was actually aggravating my active acne. I'm a perfectionist by nature and it freaks me out to think that there could possibly still be a layer of foundation 'stuck' in my pores that would only cause me to break out more.

I think makeup can contribute, of course. But for those who are acne-prone, there can be several factors.

I've been wearing makeup for a loooong time, probably regularly since I was about 14 or 15. I thought my skin was horrible and it had to be covered and I begged my mom to let me wear it, looking back... it was soo mild and I shouldn't have worn any. As they say, hindsight is better than foresight. Anyway, in the past 10 years, I've had periods of clear skin and acne all while wearing makeup. For the past 4 years, my acne has been mild to moderate but stubborn. Also the same time I started to develop (or became aware of) a hormonal problem. I am now slowly clearing up again and I wear makeup whenever I go to school, work, etc. (At least 4-5 days a week). Sure, makeup may not help, but if it's washed off thoroughly and applied with clean tools it can be a non-factor. That's my opinion anyway.

Do you have issues with melting makeup, Nessa? I'm just curious because you wear liquid foundation 4-5 days a week. Do you have to use a primer underneath your foundation, too?

Do you have issues with melting makeup, Nessa? I'm just curious because you wear liquid foundation 4-5 days a week. Do you have to use a primer underneath your foundation, too?

I've never really found primers to make a significant difference in the longevity or appearance of my makeup. I'm not saying they're pointless but for me, it's just another thing I put on my face that is unnecessary. Mind you, I've only tried three, Monistat Anti-Chafing gel, The Present by Philosophy and I think a Smashbox one a long time ago.

I rarely have issues with it melting because I've pretty much mastered the products I use. Some days I will half-ass the application and it will look worse than usual. I do have to blot oil sometimes but I wouldn't really say that's the same as melting makeup. The key for me is to use as little liquid foundation and powder as possible. I knew someone who would keep putting powder over oily areas and that is what makes makeup melt I believe. Once she applied the powder, she would have to keep doing it throughout the day and her makeup would melt faster and faster. I think too much product mixed with oil, which for many of us is inevitable, is what creates that melty appearance. The more makeup, the more there is that will melt off.

That was a long answer to a simple question, haha, sorry. And I am beginning to think silicones really clog my pores up so that's yet another reason I don't use primers.

I've never really found primers to make a significant difference in the longevity or appearance of my makeup. I'm not saying they're pointless but for me, it's just another thing I put on my face that is unnecessary. Mind you, I've only tried three, Monistat Anti-Chafing gel, The Present by Philosophy and I think a Smashbox one a long time ago.

I rarely have issues with it melting because I've pretty much mastered the products I use. Some days I will half-ass the application and it will look worse than usual. I do have to blot oil sometimes but I wouldn't really say that's the same as melting makeup. The key for me is to use as little liquid foundation and powder as possible. I knew someone who would keep putting powder over oily areas and that is what makes makeup melt I believe. Once she applied the powder, she would have to keep doing it throughout the day and her makeup would melt faster and faster. I think too much product mixed with oil, which for many of us is inevitable, is what creates that melty appearance. The more makeup, the more there is that will melt off.

That was a long answer to a simple question, haha, sorry. And I am beginning to think silicones really clog my pores up so that's yet another reason I don't use primers.

Gosh makeup is such a hassle. I know that for me it took up to 1 hour to do my full makeup routine. I just couldn't master the art of applying a full face of makeup. At least your makeup looks natural, Nessa. Mine was either too light or too dark. I just gave up on it. I'm kind of glad I did.

Ohh, that's a lot of time, I would probably find that a hassle, too! >_< Well, in case you ever wear it again, it does take practice and patience in finding what works for you and finding the right colors takes ages... I found tones that worked for me about three years ago. I was always switching before that and had a lot of bad looks/experiences.

My most basic routine (foundation, powder, bronzer, mascara) takes about 10 minutes, but I do stretch it out. I really am not as concerned with covering blemishes because it's really hard to do that and get a natural look. I just aim to even out my skin tone and covering red marks a bit but they're still visible in person. The only time I spend over 30 minutes is for an event or if I want to do a really good job on my eye makeup

I think the real issue for me was focusing on one blemish and constantly applying more foundation to it instead of focusing on the overall look. I'm convinced that face makeup is not right for me.

My skin actually becomes better during the summer for the reason I wear no makeup. I hardly ever go anywhere, and if I do, I still don't wear it. (Unless me and my friends are taking some fun pictures)

But at school I always put on tons of makeup. But I'm trying to tone it down. To not worry about my acne or my makeup. Ahhhh, that would be nice!

Makeup makes my acne worse. I HATE wearing makeup...so i never wear it. Plus, it makes me feel so fake. Wearing it makes me even more insecure...

No makeup is a nice feeling. :)