Notifications
Clear all

OK girls(and guys)...what shampoos are you liking?

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/06/2011 9:26 am

Ive been forever switching my shampoo/conditioner because, either:

a) it works great for my hair , but I suspect it breaks out the skin on my hairline/back of neck . Even if I rinse myself off thoroghly, it doesnt seem to matter. I suspect its is the "laureth/lauryl sulfates". Ugh.

or b) it doesnt break me out but it does no good to my hair! I have very thick wavy hair which needs a lot of conditioning, humectant properties. See my dilemma?:-(

Have to say, I do like the whole Wen idea (all natural with cleansing oils) but its ridculously expensive.

Anyone have suggestions or comments on this, thanks.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 07/06/2011 9:30 am

store own brands usually have the least chemicals which therefore might be less irritating.

They aren't as conditioning but Moroccon oil and coconut oil are pure and awesome for your hair (although it doesn't repair damaged hair as my hairdresser tried to tell me. it's dead cells, you can't magically repair it you nobbin!)

MemberMember
(@clarky2)

Posted : 07/06/2011 9:39 am

well i'm a guy, but I like the Organix brand shampoo (it's sold at Walmart), and Aveda products for anything that's not shampoo/condiitoner

MemberMember
(@annamoyer)

Posted : 07/06/2011 10:43 am

When I had long hair, I did co-washing which worked really well. I have very fine oily hair so at first I thought it wasn't for me, but my hair was less frizzy and more manageable after the first week. I would take a really rich conditioner, saturate my hair in it, scrub and pile my hair up on my head. Then I'd continue to shower as normal and then rinse for a looong time. I think the conditioner can remove scalp oil and dirt just as well as shampoo without being as drying to the hair. Just to be on the safe side though, I did use shampoo once a week. I imagine Wen works much the same way.

Now, I have a short pixie cut, so my hair gets oily faster. I also started jogging in the morning before I shower, so I like to use shampoo to cut through the sweat.

I am still looking for a good gentle shampoo without any SLS, if anyone has some suggestions.

MemberMember
(@desiangel)

Posted : 07/06/2011 11:03 am

The first thing i do in the shower, is apply shampoo

Pantene's Nature Fusion (i love the smell and shine)

or Tresemme's Volumizing Shampoo

Then i use body washes/scrubs after i rinsed the shampoo, to help wash away the shampoo residues aswell. For this reason, i dont really worry about what kind of shampoos i use, but i do not use conditioner, because i feel like it is oil based. Since i already have oily hair, there is no need for me to use conditioner.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/06/2011 7:45 pm

store own brands usually have the least chemicals which therefore might be less irritating.

They aren't as conditioning but Moroccon oil and coconut oil are pure and awesome for your hair (although it doesn't repair damaged hair as my hairdresser tried to tell me. it's dead cells, you can't magically repair it you nobbin!)

lol true Im a hairstylst, so I really should know more about this subject! Those are natural ones at least.

I heard good things about Moroccan oil...eh, coconut, Im afraid Id be tempted to eat this stuff (I am big on pina coladas!)

😉

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/06/2011 7:46 pm

When I had long hair, I did co-washing which worked really well. I have very fine oily hair so at first I thought it wasn't for me, but my hair was less frizzy and more manageable after the first week. I would take a really rich conditioner, saturate my hair in it, scrub and pile my hair up on my head. Then I'd continue to shower as normal and then rinse for a looong time. I think the conditioner can remove scalp oil and dirt just as well as shampoo without being as drying to the hair. Just to be on the safe side though, I did use shampoo once a week. I imagine Wen works much the same way.

Now, I have a short pixie cut, so my hair gets oily faster. I also started jogging in the morning before I shower, so I like to use shampoo to cut through the sweat.

I am still looking for a good gentle shampoo without any SLS, if anyone has some suggestions.

Makes sense (co-washing). Ill bet the pixie is cute on you.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/06/2011 7:48 pm

The first thing i do in the shower, is apply shampoo

Pantene's Nature Fusion (i love the smell and shine)

or Tresemme's Volumizing Shampoo

Then i use body washes/scrubs after i rinsed the shampoo, to help wash away the shampoo residues aswell. For this reason, i dont really worry about what kind of shampoos i use, but i do not use conditioner, because i feel like it is oil based. Since i already have oily hair, there is no need for me to use conditioner.

I soooo wish I didnt have to use conditioner. If I leave my hair dry as God intended...without any styling or products...I feel like there is a sheep on my head. lol

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 07/07/2011 1:36 pm

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

MemberMember
(@alex-w)

Posted : 07/11/2011 7:32 pm

I have oily skin and scalp, and have been using matrix biolage scalp therapy shampoo for normal to oily hair for about 3 years. It is the only shampoo i'v found that does the job without over drying hair and scalp, or causing dandruff. ( and I've tried many. I even made my own shampoo which didn't work! It gave me so many flakes.) matrix also has a detangling solution for the oily prone, which I use on occasion to help with the frizziness that comes with waves and curls. The bottle is kind of small, but you only need a tiny bit compared to conditioner. I have had trouble finding the shampoo in stores and salons the last couple times I needed more, but you can get it online at amazon.com, I like to get the large bottle. Saves money in the long run, plus amazon gives free shipping on orders $25 and up. You'll spend it if you get the detangling solution.

I hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@squee)

Posted : 07/12/2011 3:38 pm

I really like Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner. :) It's sulfate free (and organic, I don't know if that really makes any sort of difference) if that's what you're interested in. The majority of my hair is pretty damaged (dyed it like every 2 months for almost 1.5 yrs straight) and I love how soft it leaves my hair. My mom swims a lot and hates how it leaves her hair and I got her into this shampoo/conditioner too. :P And my hair doesn't get oily as fast...I can go at least 3 days without washing it, sorry if that grosses you out. Usually I wash every other night though because if I get sweaty, I can't not wash my hair, it makes me feel dirty.

I've tried the Organix line (was ok, the coconut one smells sooooooooooososososo good though) and some of the Burts Bees lines (was ok at first, ended up hating it after a few months). I like the Giovanni better than both of those.

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 07/12/2011 6:50 pm

I'm off shampoo. It's been about a month.

I use baking soda with water.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 07/21/2011 7:56 pm

It's not a shampoo/conditioner, but I used a deep conditioning treatment with argan oil in it the other day and it's awesome. :D I can't remember the brand, but there are lots of deep conditioners with argan oil in them. Once I get home I'll get the name for it. My skin is so godawful that I can't tell if something breaks me out or not, but this makes my hair look amazing. Very shiny and soft, and my hair can get really brittle, it's pretty delicate.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/21/2011 8:33 pm

It's not a shampoo/conditioner, but I used a deep conditioning treatment with argan oil in it the other day and it's awesome. :D I can't remember the brand, but there are lots of deep conditioners with argan oil in them. Once I get home I'll get the name for it. My skin is so godawful that I can't tell if something breaks me out or not, but this makes my hair look amazing. Very shiny and soft, and my hair can get really brittle, it's pretty delicate.

hey yes I have heard of that...think its from Mococco. And theres macadamia Nut oil too.

How much do you use, size-wise?

I dont know if it would break me out...but well theres only one way to find out right?

I found a cheap knock off of Wen(Sallys Beauty sells it called Hair One)

It works pretty nice, natural and doesnt break me out so far as I can tell.

Well G at least your hair is beautiful now! Im sure youll clear up soon<3

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/22/2011 7:06 pm

thanks for responses

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/25/2011 1:57 pm

do you remember which brand you like?

there are so many....

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 07/25/2011 7:04 pm

hey yes I have heard of that...think its from Mococco. And theres macadamia Nut oil too.

I dont know if it would break me out...but well theres only one way to find out right?

I keep forgetting to check the brand! D'oh. It comes in a little teal tub with a brown lid. It cost me an arm and a leg. I basically slather it on so my hair feels well coated in it and tie my hair back into a dodgy bun so it doesn't really touch my face anyway. I have fairly sensitive skin but I haven't noticed any detrimental effects. It smells pretty good too. :D

Thanks Amara. I'm trying to grow my hair long. So hard resisting the urge to cut it all off!

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/25/2011 7:13 pm

I keep forgetting to check the brand! D'oh. It comes in a little teal tub with a brown lid. It cost me an arm and a leg. I basically slather it on so my hair feels well coated in it and tie my hair back into a dodgy bun so it doesn't really touch my face anyway. I have fairly sensitive skin but I haven't noticed any detrimental effects. It smells pretty good too. :D

Thanks Amara. I'm trying to grow my hair long. So hard resisting the urge to cut it all off!

Hmm I think I could recognise that if I look it up (I remember some kind of teal bottle).

hey me too--Ive been trying to grow out my hair for years! I always had long hair until I cut it when I overcolored it..since then I have always given in because I just cant let it be...

Wanna make a no-cutting hair pact till October? its a start

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 07/25/2011 8:47 pm

Hmm I think I could recognise that if I look it up (I remember some kind of teal bottle).

hey me too--Ive been trying to grow out my hair for years! I always had long hair until I cut it when I overcolored it..since then I have always given in because I just cant let it be...

Absolutely. I need to get my ends trimmed, I will get that done next week. I say we make a no cutting pact 'til Christmas. ;) I mean substantial cuts. Trims are necessary for split ends. :D

When I was 14 I had curly hair down to my waist, but I was 14 and thought curly hair was crap so I had it chemically relaxed... the whole thing went wrong and I had to cut it off up to my ears. :( At the moment it's about four inches past my shoulders, longer than I've had it for a long time. :D

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/25/2011 10:01 pm

Absolutely. I need to get my ends trimmed, I will get that done next week. I say we make a no cutting pact 'til Christmas. ;) I mean substantial cuts. Trims are necessary for split ends. :D

When I was 14 I had curly hair down to my waist, but I was 14 and thought curly hair was crap so I had it chemically relaxed... the whole thing went wrong and I had to cut it off up to my ears. :( At the moment it's about four inches past my shoulders, longer than I've had it for a long time. :D

Its a deal!

I just had my hair trimmed a few weeks ago and am finally happy with it. OK Im not cutting it til Christmas and see how it goes.

At the moment my hair is kind of bob-y if that makes sense. Ill send you a pic so you can tell. I have naturally wavy too but generally straighten it which doesnt help lol. This is cool you can be my "anitpodean sister"--I never had one :-(

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 07/25/2011 10:28 pm

Its a deal!

I just had my hair trimmed a few weeks ago and am finally happy with it. OK Im not cutting it til Christmas and see how it goes.

At the moment my hair is kind of bob-y if that makes sense. Ill send you a pic so you can tell. I have naturally wavy too but generally straighten it which doesnt help lol. This is cool you can be my "anitpodean sister"--I never had one :-(

Dealio! Christmas it is. I am on a mission.

I used to straighten my hair with the flat iron every day. Then I went to my hairdresser and she said I was straightening it so often that the ends of my hair looked like they had been poked into a space heater and burned or something. :( So now I only straighten it when I'm going out or feeling particularly gross about myself. For work I just toss it into a bun and pin my fringe (bangs?) back. I also don't wash it very often anymore, whereas before I was washing it every day.

MemberMember
(@cottoncandi)

Posted : 07/26/2011 3:04 pm

I have tried expensive shampoos and conditioners but I always go back to Herbal Essence and Aussie. I love them both. They make my hair soft and all the varieties smell soooooooo good, way better than expensive brands.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 07/26/2011 8:09 pm

I have tried expensive shampoos and conditioners but I always go back to Herbal Essence and Aussie. I love them both. They make my hair soft and all the varieties smell soooooooo good, way better than expensive brands.

I love Herbal Essences. :D I love it like the ladies on the ads but less vocally. It smells so nice! I don't know why I don't buy it more often. I only wash my hair twice a week so it doesn't matter so much what I use, my deep conditioner and leave-in treatments seem to do a nice job of keeping my hair shiny (it's pretty oily right now though... ew).

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 07/27/2011 10:19 pm

Sigh, Ive tried both of them they smell nice but I think they break me out :-(

I seem to be sensitive to things with /laurel/laureth sulfates that kind of thing.

Id like to just be able to buy reasonable priced shampoo instead of this specialty stuff lol.

MemberMember
(@cottoncandi)

Posted : 07/28/2011 7:33 am

Sigh, Ive tried both of them they smell nice but I think they break me out :-(

I seem to be sensitive to things with /laurel/laureth sulfates that kind of thing.

Id like to just be able to buy reasonable priced shampoo instead of this specialty stuff lol.

L'Or©al Everpure is sulfate free and stuff, have you tried it? I don't think it's too expensive.