Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let me start by saying that we are all different, and I fully realize that what is working for me may not work for others. Let me also say that two weeks ago I started a number of supplements as a last-ditch effort before going back on antibiotics. So at this point I have no idea what is actually working for me, BUT, I'd rather be clear and sort through that later. ;>)

My backstory: Moderate to severe acne has been a battle my entire adult life. I'm 31 and my real battle started when I went off the BCP at age 22. The ONLY times my skin has ever cleared was while I was on the pill and when I was pregnant. Other than that, it's been a fight.

As of the past few months, it's been severe. Anywhere from 8-10 large, painful cysts at any given time, mixed with smaller "regular" sized pimples. New breakouts crop up every day for me. It's painful, it's ugly, it's humiliating, it's high-maintenance..... I'm sure most reading this forum can relate.

So like I said, two weeks ago was a last ditch effort for me when I started a couple of supplements. Here's what I'm doing/taking right now and I am darn near 100% clear (still got lots of red marks... luckily for me, most of these will fade over time. Scarring is usually minimal for my skin/acne type):

Pantothen (essentially a B-complex that is heavy on the B5): 4x/day

Saw Palmetto: 160mg 2x/day

Vit D3: 1000 IU 1x/day

Zinc: 50mg 1x/day

Fish Oil: 1200mg 1 or 2x/day

Routine (both morning and night):

Wash with Hibiclens Antimicrobial Wash

Lather on Dan's BP

Lather on Dan's moisture (sometimes I'll use sunscreen instead)

Like I said, for the supplements, who can know what's working. I wasn't about to try everything separately and wait around for things to not work (we all know that that's usually the case...) I actually had a doctor's appointment yesterday. I made it last week with the full intention of getting a script for antibiotics. Instead I was able to just go consult with my doc about the supplements I'm on and get her take on the safety and such.

In any case, I shall keep moving forward with this magical combo of treatments that are literally working miracles for me. Once I've been clear for a while, I'll drop a supplement one by one to see what's actually doing the trick. Oh, and also, if it helps to know, my skin-type is SUPER OILY. And part of my success over the past two weeks has also meant a significant oil reduction for me. Less oil AND clear skin. I'm very encouraged.

Blessings to all who read, and hopefully my journey can be of help to someone else out there!

Would you consider going on BCP again? or maybe some other knd of hormone ..Spironolactone?

Just asking because you said it was theonly thing that worked for you....

Of course not everyone wants to be on BP their whole adult life. Or maybe you want more kid or have medical issues being on BC.

I started taking spirulina(whihc is a blue-green aglae) I know sounds confusing all these 'spiro' words! But I think its helping my skin heal faster.

Good luck!

Would you consider going on BCP again? or maybe some other knd of hormone ..Spironolactone?

Of course not everyone wants to be on BP their whole adult life. Or maybe you want more kid or have medical issues being on BC.

I started taking spirulina(whihc is a blue-green aglae) I know sounds confusing all these 'spiro' words! But I think its helping my skin heal faster.

Good luck!

I would never go on BC again. Several reasons for my decision:

1) It caused me medical issues. I was on 4 different BCP's within 2 years and during that course of time the synthetic hormones caused me severe migraines with neurological effects that actually mimicked a stroke! After I had to have a brain MRI due to the severity of the migraines, my doc told me I'd be crazy to mess with my hormones synthetically again.

2) I just don't believe BCPs healthy for our bodies and I kinda wish I had never taken them.

3) I may want another kiddo at some point, so would rather not be on BC (even though we're not actively TTC right now).

4) I really wanted to find a solution for my acne that didn't depend on a prescription of any kind. The idea of finding a winning combo of supplements and regimen appeals to me more than being on BC (or spiro).

Good luck!

1) It caused me medical issues. I was on 4 different BCP's within 2 years and during that course of time the synthetic hormones caused me severe migraines with neurological effects that actually mimicked a stroke! After I had to have a brain MRI due to the severity of the migraines, my doc told me I'd be crazy to mess with my hormones synthetically again.

2) I just don't believe BCPs healthy for our bodies and I kinda wish I had never taken them.

3) I may want another kiddo at some point, so would rather not be on BC (even though we're not actively TTC right now).

4) I really wanted to find a solution for my acne that didn't depend on a prescription of any kind. The idea of finding a winning combo of supplements and regimen appeals to me more than being on BC (or spiro).

ah same with me...I cant take bc because it made me kinda psychotic/zombie-like and also not good for various other reasons. Bad blood pressure ad all that. Some people tolerate them better than others. In your case its wise NOT to go the hormonal route then.

Well then next is topicals and or antibiotics. Have you tried BP/salicylic acid/retinoids?

Have you removed specific foods from your diet? A lot of people have allergies that manifest as skin problems/acne. Wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, nuts etc. For me the best thing I did was cut out concentrated sugar. It helps with inflamation so much.

Not that I dont eat natural sugar but getting rid of junk food/cakes/especially soda and candy has helped my skin a lot.

Hope this helps! not trying to say I know it all but for me sugar is the devil (pity I like it so much lol)

Good luck!

ah same with me...I cant take bc because it made me kinda psychotic/zombie-like and also not good for various other reasons. Bad blood pressure ad all that. Some people tolerate them better than others. In your case its wise NOT to go the hormonal route then.

Well then next is topicals and or antibiotics. Have you tried BP/salicylic acid/retinoids?

Have you removed specific foods from your diet? A lot of people have allergies that manifest as skin problems/acne. Wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, nuts etc. For me the best thing I did was cut out concentrated sugar. It helps with inflamation so much.

Not that I dont eat natural sugar but getting rid of junk food/cakes/especially soda and candy has helped my skin a lot.

Hope this helps! not trying to say I know it all but for me sugar is the devil (pity I like it so much lol)

Sorry of course youre on Dans Bp I see> It works well for me but some people are sensitive to it so its not for everyone.

ps give the bp a bit more time and if it doesnt work in about 6 months maybe give retinoids a try. Also make sure youre not using too much to irritate or too little as not to be effective. Difficult, I know!

Um, my entire post was about the fact that I'm clearing! So what I am currently doing is working.... including Dan's BP. ;) Not looking to change things up at this point. Diet has never ever helped my acne or made it worse. I eat very healthy, but that's a lifestyle choice in general. Does not affect my skin as best as I can tell.

congrats on getting clear skin!

if you want to drop the supplements eventually and keep your skin clear, try fasting. coupled with a healthy diet, fasting will keep your skin clear bc it allows ur body to get rid of all the built up toxins that cause acne. I do it, and I dont use any skin care products and the only supplements I take are a daily multi-vitamin and fish oil (1000mg). I dont even have to take the supplements to keep my skin clear; I just take them to balance out my diet and they give me better focus too. btw, if you do fast you can also stop paying for all those face products too. they are so freakin expensive.

any questions just ask or read my blog. I had bad acne too, didnt clearup until i fasted. look into I promise its worth your time.

-james