Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick question: is it ok to "overwash" my face? When I say overwash, I'm talking about approximately four times a day using a salicylic acid cleanser. I don't even really mind if it won't IMPROVE my acne, as long as it doesn't have a negative effect on it. Washing it this much just makes me feel clean and refreshed.

I have moderate to severe acne and oily skin.

Edited by VanillaLove

4 times a day is too much. especially with a salyclic acid cleaner. You shoudnt be using that more than twice a day. Water on the skin messes up the ph balance as it is alkaline & your skin then has to recover from this, therefore you are giving it no chance to normalise itself so your acne will probably get even more angry (& your skin may appear reddish, indicating you are either over washing or using too harsh ingedients).

I don't think it's a good idea either. If you've really got moderate--severe acne, washing your face 4x a day will likely irritate it while stripping its barrier (possibly making it harder for your skin to heal and function) especially if you're already treating your acne with topicals.

Ok, thanks guys. I thought it might be as much, but just wanted a second opinion. I'll try washing less excessively and see what happens. :)

Ok, thanks guys. I thought it might be as much, but just wanted a second opinion. I'll try washing less excessively and see what happens. :)

Good luck!

Yes too much, especially if you are applying something on it afterwards like BP. I assume you're just using the wash though.

Unless you're skin is all super oily or sweaty in the middle of the day I would just stick to 2 times.

Edited by wham