Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaizen08

Body Acne or a form of Folliculitis, please help with treatment! (Pics provided)

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in these forums. I wish I had been here sooner, because I've had this problem for as long as I can remember, and definitely my entire adult life. I apologize for the length of this message, but I feel it may be necessary. For the past 10-15 years, I was extremely prone to acne to my entire body. Growing out of my teens, my face acne cleared up, and for as long as I can remember, acne on my chest, back, and upper arms have persisted. I feel these have gone away, but left very distinct scars that are difficult to see unless you look for them closely. But I come to you with an even greater problem.

Probably for the last 5 years, I've been having scattered acne over my chest, stomach, back, and upper arms (pretty much my entire upper body. I continued to get a lot of residual scars throughout the years, as I just simply tried the over the counter meds with salicylic acid. About a year ago, I had to undergo a surgery on my chest area, and me being a rather hairy guy, had to have it all off prior to surgery.

As the hair came back weeks and months down the line, i kept getting a lot more pimple-like blemishes on my upper body, most notably my chest and stomach. I continued to use the usual treatments to no avail. I had gathered way too many scars, which you will be able to see in the pictures below. 6 months ago, I saw a doctor about it, and he had declared that it was folliculitis and prescribed me a strong antibiotic. During and immediately after the antibiotics, I noticed a slowed occurrence and growth of these pimples, but they slowly kept coming back every now and then. I'm currently trying to deal with the scars while using a strong topical antibiotic on any new ones that may pop up.

I will be providing pictures. Hopefully someone may be able to help me out with my problem. It has prevented me from living a normal adult life. I can't remember the last time I took my shirt off in public (unless I was forced to...I am in medical school and sometimes we are supposed to give each other superficial physical examinations for practice..doing something as simple as these gives me major anxiety). I don't think I've actually been able to have a "summer experience" if you know what I mean. Any opinions, whether it be professional or regular, are appreciated, thank you.

post-153790-1309929957_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929969_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929979_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929989_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309930000_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309930012_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929957_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929969_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929979_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309929989_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309930000_thumb.jpg

post-153790-1309930012_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaizen08

It's hard to tell apart Body Acne from Pityrosporum Folliculitis. That's why it is commonly misdiagnosed.

Have you tried any PF Washes? Want some suggestions?

Here are a few common over the counter products used to treat PF;

• Head and Shoulders
  • Nizoral Shampoo (1% Ketoconazole)
  • ZNP Bar
  • Salicylic acid
  • Selsun Blue Shampoo

I'm next going to post some variations of how to apply some of these products.

• Apply onto skin, wash off
  • Apply onto skin for 5 - 7 minutes, wash off
  • Apply onto skin, get out of shower, let air dry

I want to also point out that if it is appearing by the stomach area, it could be a form of folliculitis, as acne is usually affecting the upper chest.

Ok that really helps, thanks! What exactly is a PF Wash? Is that what you've described above? Also, how long should I be undergoing this type of treatment?

Edited by kaizen08

Ok that really helps, thanks! What exactly is a PF Wash? Is that what you've described above? Also, how long should I be undergoing this type of treatment?

The products listed above are used against PF. I wouldn't know exactly how long the treatment should last you, as we are all different.

Ok makes sense. One last thing I just realized. Ever since I was younger, I seem to be prone to fungal infections. When I was younger, I used to have a bad case of dandruff, which we now know is due o a fungal infection of the scalp. In the past, I've also had to deal with athlete's foot and recently jock itch, which were both also fungal related infections. Does that mean that I may be more susceptible to fungal infections in general, and so this is most likely a case of PF? Would it be logical to make that inference?

Seems logical to me. If you are more prone towards fungal infections then I see why not with PF. Give some of these products a try, you might be surprised with the outcome :)

I notice from the last 3 photos, that you are still shaving your body. Have you tried allowing your body hair to grow, to see if it helps reduce new spots forming?

Shaving your body hair so close to the skin could be causing a shaving rash/razor burn.