Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey! Well first I think I should tell you about my skin... I've had mild/moderate acne since I was about 13 and I did just about every OTC treatment I could get my hands on, all of which did nothing except irritate the heck out of my skin... So eventually I went to a dermatologist and was put on retin-a, duac, and doryx and that just irritated my skin even more and didn't help it... around this time my skin was ALWAYS and I really do mean ALWAYS red... and OILY OILY OILY OILY OILY super oily! It was also flaky at the most inconvenient times... so then I switched over to only using differin at night because my derm said it wouldn't be as irritating... yet my face was still ALWAYS red and my acne didn't improve... I was also taking generic doxycycline at the time... I then asked for accutane (because obviously nothing was working) but my derm said NO! because i didn't have severe acne... so I made another appointment cause the retinoids had caused my face to be constantly sunburned, and i went in to my appointment today and the derm that had said no to me being on accutane was on maternity leave and i saw the other derm in the practice and i told her everything I'd done and she was like "well how do you feel about accutane?" and in my head i was like "FUCK YES ITS ABOUT TIME"... so she told me the side effects, and she was super chill about it which i thought was cool, and because i leave for the beach tomorrow I'm supposed to take that week to think about it (even though i've wanted this for about a year) and then when i get back i'm supposed to call her with my decision then i'll go and get blood work and get the prescription... so I guess i'll post when i go and do that... I just wanted to start this log tonight because i'm exited! So again... if you didn't wanna read all that just read this: I've got mild/moderate acne that's been SUPER PERSISTENT and i start accutane in a week...

Ok... So I still haven't started yet (I'm still on Vacation) but I'm making the appointment to get the blood work done and I'll probably start a couple days after I get back (today is monday and I get back on thursday) so yep... Just wanted to give you an update with that... ALSO I was wondering... If I start when I get back (middle of July) Will I be clear by the time school starts (about the middle of August)... ALSO I was wondering if anyone who has ever taken this has any suggestions... Like for a good moisturizer and maybe suggestions for eye drops or a chap stick or something? Also if anyone did this in summer, how did you avoid the sun? Cause there isn't any way that i'm going to stop going outside... So like will swimshirts and sun hats help me? Also any sunscreen recomendations? (It would really help if the sunscreen was water proof) Also... I Don't really wanna be pale going back to school so if anyone could recomend a non-comendongic self tanner that won't turn me orange that would be awesome :D

Ok so i got back today, and i'm going to get my blood test tomorrow... Then once my derm gets my results she'll write the prescription! I'm EXITED!! especially since when my mom picked me up from the airport today (I'm a teen) one of the first things she said was "Yikes, your face" haha yep... I broke out BAD yesterday with like 10 whiteheads (but they're little...) around my mouth which is eww one of the WORST places to break out... ugh I'm nervous about the IB for this... but oh well! it will all be worth it! *knocks on wood* I'll post tomorrow after the blood work is all done with... Also since no one is replying to the questions I'll tell you what I'm gonna use... Ok so for lips I've got myself some aquapor or however you spell that... and i'm ALWAYS gonna carry some MEDICATED chapstick with some SPF... As for eye drops i'll just carry visine unless i find something else... and as for sunscreen... yikes i'm worried about that one..... I'm gonna get a couple bottles of that new neutrogena 100 SPF water resistant stuff that claims to be waterproof... And i think i'm gonna invest in a swimshirt and I'm gonna have to learn to wear hats (I'm really not a hat person)

Thanks (: Good luck to you too @DestinyJade ! Ok.... I just got back from my first blood test! so yay! i'm actually starting soon! does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the derm to fill the prescription after the tests? Cause i thought it would be today but my mom was like "you know it might take a few days" and ugh i really don't wanna wait a few days i wanna start ASAP! but yet, blood test one is DONE and hopefully i'll be on the pill in the next couple of days

Well they have to have some time to get the results of your test first.. Have to make sure your liver enzymes are good and all that jazz:) that might take a day or so.. Can your derm fill your prescription, or are you only referring to him writing you one?

umm I remember her saying that as soon as she gets the results she'll write the prescription and call us with the information like when it will be ready, then we'll have to go pick it up at the pharmacy... oh and i know that to get the pills i need the ID card, but do I need to pick it up and have the card with me, or can my mom pick it up with my card?

I did my bloodtest first thing monday morning and got the call from my derm tuesday afternoon. got my pills tuesday night. i think it just depends how busy your derm is. my derm called it into the pharmacy, but, i had to answer the ipledge questions before the pharm. could do anything with it. so make sure you do that or they cant even work on filling it. i didn't need my card cuz they said they already had my number for ipledge, but, im not sure if that is normal or not.

Ok cool i'll tell her! And I still haven't gotten the call that i can pick it up but i think it's cause i got the tests on a friday and the lab and my derm don't work on the weekend... so hopefully i'll get it monday or tuesday at the latest (: Also something that i thought was funny happened... Ok so i was in the pool and my brothers friend was next to me (and i guess my mom told his mom i was going on accutane and his mom told him) and he went "Hey it looks like your zits are already going away" and i was like "excuse me?" and he was like "I heard you were going on that medication! my dad went on it too" and i was like "umm thanks (: but i'm not on it yet..." and he was just like "ohhh...." haha but i actually have been using old max clarity that i have left over and that stuff has really killed A TON of the breakout i just had! but the only complaints are that it's really drying and it dosen't do crap to prevent new zits from busting in... So yep! i guess i'll post when I actually start popping the pills!

Good luck! I'll be starting soon as well. Hopefully this week. Although I haven't been on the drug, my head is a library of Accutane knowledge so if you need anything let me know. I as well am going to have an Accutane log so I am going to have to compare mine with yours! Keep us posted.

Ok... So awesome! well my derm called yesterday saying that the pharmacist should have the prescription and so I went to the pharmacist today with my ID card all exited and they had absolutely no record of me... so awesome! (sarcasm) so we called my derm and they were like "ok well we'll call them" so i'm gonna call the pharmacist first next time! (I'm actually going to tag along with my dad while he goes grocery shopping tonight and try and see if they know me now) so i guess if i get the pills tonight i'll tell you! but if not i should have them tomorrow!

Ok so i got the pills! yay! i'm on Amnesteem 40mg! so awesome! I just popped my first pill and i'm happy! I've obviously got no side effects yet cause i just took it like literally five minutes ago... so Just figured i'd say i'm started! also while i was at the pharmacy i picked myself up some super sunscreen, one of those "intensive healing" moisturizers for super dry skin (and it has SPF which i thought was awesome), and some vitamin e cause i've read in multiple forums on here that it's fantastic.... so since i already had eaten and i wanted to start i took the first pill with a go-gurt (cause you have to take it with food) and a full bottle of water! i've decided that i'll take the amnesteem with dinner and the vitamin e with breakfast! so yay! i'm super exited! when i took the pill i was nervous but now i'm just exited! :D:D:D:D:D

Ok! Day 2! here we go! today was interesting... first off i'm gonna ask if anyone knows if its safe to use advil or ibuprofen... cause for some reason i was under the impression that taking those was a NO NO but today i got a killer headache and downed 2 advil (which did nothing) then a little later an ibuprofen (which finally got rid of it) idk i guess the headache was a side effect (Cause i know it wan't from dehydration... I downloaded an app to keep track of my water intake and i entered my weight and it gave me my daily reccomended water intake and i then told the app i was pregnant and breast feeding and all that and i ended up with double what they told me originally and i drank 100% of that today) but ya... Also i ran 2 miles today and normally when i run my skin gets SUPER oily but today it was dry... that was weird but it might have just been that i was swimming before and the pool drys out my skin... but ya! I'm in a super good mood today (even though i waited 2 hours at the DMV only to fail my permit test :P but whatever IDC cause i still get 2 more trys and i don't have to wait in line the next time) hmm also my skin feels SUPER smooth today (probably cause it's my time of the week to shave it... i'm only 15 so i shave once a week :P but it feels good) and i have no initial breakout to report of... yet.... *knocks on wood* but ya... So far so good... i hope i'm not jinxing things....

Day 3!! ok so i for like yesterday and today i have eaten SOOOOO MUCH is a change in appetite a side effect? cause i've got that... Hmm i got this hard- under the skin zit on where my nose meets my face and it hurts when i touch it... but hmm and a whitehead under my nostril that hurts if i crinkle my nose... but thats all thats new! and my zits that i've had seem to be drying up quick! so no dry skin or chapped lips or anything yet... i did have dierhea today which was eww and i wasn't gonna post that but it happened so i'm gonna post it... i think it may be because i'm drinking 2x the amont of water "reccomended" for me but whatever i feel fine now! hmm i really am hoping that those 2 new zits aren't the start of an IB... do you think it's too early for that? idk... Edited by This Kid

hmmm for some reason my day 3 log posted twice... so i'm editing the second one to say it posted twice....

Edited by This Kid

I've seen the IB come differently for everyone! It seems the average is between like 6-10 days from starting the pill so it could be the IB.

Day 4 ok! So it's day four... And today i had no side effects! It was lovely! Hmm that's really all I have to say... Hmm i think I might be starting an IB which I'm really not to thrilled about... I'm getting a quite a bit more white heads.... Ugh I really don't wanna get that bad... But the actives I had when I started are really drying up which is nice! Hmm that's really all I have to say... I guess I'll have to post tomorrow

Day Five and Six! ok well because i didn't post yesterday i'll combine yesterdays post with today... so yesterday (day 5) i was very active and because of that i'm very sore... thats really all I had to report EXCEPT i got a head ache so i took an ibuprofen then it didn't go away so i took 2 more (it was one pack with 2 pills in it so in total i took 3) and then i drove like half an hour and i felt HORRIBLE i was dizzy and kinda loopy and i STILL had the headache! but it eventually went away after like an hour and i was totally fine (actually i was really good) the rest of the day.... AND AS FOR DAY 6... wow i'll take the 6th pill tonight with dinner... its my dads birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! and it's noon of day 6 so i still have a while to go before the days over but i don't have any side effects yet *knocks on wood* (this is around when i got that awful headache yesterday).... Hmm i'm kinda upset because i woke up this morning with 2 new big white heads (and like a couple small ones that you can't really see unless you're up in my business) and i have a HUGE cyst on my chin that hurts pretty bad if i touch it... also i remember posting about a hard pimple under my skin where my nose meets my face and thats still there and i'm pretty sure its getting worse... so awesome! (sarcasm if you couldn't tell) but yeah... idk if this is a normal break out or my dramatic horrible IB... I'm actually hoping its the IB just so i can get that done with and move on... And i figured i'd add in some good news... well not good news just a positive.... ok well i was out really late last night and it was so amazing not to have to worry about applying all my perspiration cremes (that did nothing) and then having to moisturize and i just had to wash my face when i got home, then crawl into bed and fall asleep... Also i'm still not really drying out... like i said in the beginning i was active a lot of yesterday and usually when i'm active and sweaty my face gets really oily... so i was hoping that because i've been on this for almost a week now that i wouldn't get oily... but i still did... but i actually didn't care as much as i normally do because i know that soon i will be drying out and i won't ever have to worry about oily skin again (hopefully)... also my lips still aren't getting chapped... for anyone thats been on this when did you start drying out and getting chapped lips? Edited by This Kid

Hey,

I'm on my 6th day too. I started drying out really noticeably last night - my skin is flaky and drying out. My chapped lips are getting more chapped as the days go on...probably started day 3. Also, I have a rash on my forearms and top of hands...they are more like small, unnoticeable bumps but they are soooo itchy. Have you had that??

Yikes... I'm still not Drying out that noticably and I haven't had a rash at all... Although my face has been really itchy a couple times

Ha! I love comparing our logs! I experienced dry lips, well...fairly dry lips around day four but it really didn't feel like much. Its day six for me now and I am at the stage where I know I will be using chap stick very, very soon. Keep us posted.

Yikes... I'm still not Drying out that noticably and I haven't had a rash at all... Although my face has been really itchy a couple times
Edited by Polyspast

Ha! I love comparing our logs! I experienced dry lips, well...fairly dry lips around day four but it really didn't feel like much. Its day six for me now and I am at the stage where I know I will be using chap stick very, very soon. Keep us posted.

Same for me! My face has been quite itchy! It sucks with bad skin. Its just my lips that are beginning to dry out.

haha i love comparing too! like i really do! hmm i'm starting to get worried that i'm not drying out... i mean around this point most people are drying out or at least starting too and i'm still as oily as ever... hmm maybe i need to get bumped up to more than 40 mg....

Day 7 Yay! thats officially one week on the pill! I'm exited! Side Effects: ok well since day 2 i've gotten pretty bad headaches pretty much every day... (except today!!) they feel like dehyrdation headaches but i've been drinking a ton of water so i'm saying they're a side effect... also i've been pretty sore and started having back problems today, but that could be because i'm painting my room and have had to bend over to do that... hmm i'm STILL NOT DRYING OUT which is really obnoxious (haha i'm at the point where i actually want dry flaky skin) but seriously i'm worried things aren't working because from what i can gather from other logs people are usually at least starting to dry out by this time... idk... Also today i took a bath (because i thought it would help my back, which it actually did!!) and when i got out i looked in the mirror and my face was actually the same color as my body!!! to me that was an AMAZING feeling!! haha i'm smiling as i write this (: but seriously ever since i started using retin-a and differin my face has been like RED or PINK while my body has just been skin tone! and to see my face actually the same color as my body for the first time in at least 6 months was really an amazing thing for me! I really can't even tell you how much i love not having to put on all these different irritating cremes that just mess me up more than they help! ah! idk i'm having mixed feelings about this... oh and i think i'm getting my IB because i broke out on my forehead pretty bad (and i like don't break out on my forehead) and i also scratched my back today and found tiny pimples... and i've never broken out there before... so hopefully after i get over this break out i'll be done breaking out (: ugh i don't wanna be too optimistic because i'm scared i'll jinx things :P

Ok well in my last post i was super happy cause my face wasn't red and i guess i spoke too soon because i woke up this morning and BAM my face was just as red as ever! gosh i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE this! i'm kinda depressed right now... i guess ever since i got acne i've had a really red face, not just since i started retin-a and all that... hmm i really hope that when the acne goes away because of accutane that the redness will go away because i honestly don't see the point in being clear if my face still looks like crap.... sigh... depressed right now... also i broke out MORE which is also making me upset... sigh... I cannot even imagine what it will be like to have clear skin because i don't even remember the last time i had clear skin... it was when i was a little kid! Yikes... thats actually kinda scary! I CANNOT remember a time when i ever looked in the mirror and looked at my skin and thought "i look good"... i mean when i was little i had little kid skin and that was lovely but i never started paying attention to my skin untill i got acne.... Ugh when i'm done with accutane and have clear skin i'll never take it for granted again! i promise... hmm this was just a post on my thoughts now... i guess this can be my Day 8 post unless i get some side effects later on and want to share those...