Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Again!

Starting a 3rd Course Mid-July

I just posted this on Eva's log and realized that I should also update my log with the same info. Here it is:

I believe that I have finally found the correct primer for my skin that will not cause skin issues. I have used it the past couple of days now and love it. Maybe other primers can do a way better job, (ones with emollients will always be better at their job but for us acne sufferers emollients spell bad news for our skin) but for the sake of my future skin, I'm very happy with it. It is "Smashbox" Photo Finish Hydrating. It's oil-free and has nothing in it that will cause breakouts or irritation. They have one exactly like this that has vitamin c in it. I opted out of it due to being on accutane-I don't want to irritate my skin. I will most likely switch to that one when done with accutane.

As far as the make-up goes....I have bought "Bobbi Brown" Oil-Free Even Finish Compact Foundation. I love it! (If you have been reading my log, you know that I bought this awhile ago and had gotten the wrong color. Well, I finally got the right color, so I can judge it fairly now) It feels wonderful on my extremely dry skin. But, it does not have that great of coverage, so unfortunately I am saving it for when my skin is a little better in like a month or so? Which means, I am still on the lookout for one that will give me great coverage and one that will be the one I use when I'm off of accutane that will not cause breakouts. I have an appointment late this afternoon at the "Giorgio Armani" counter to try their compact pressed foundation. It's quite pricy, but has gotten great reviews. It is oil-free and is great for all skin types. I really think that this one may be the one! I will keep you posted. Wish me luck!

Edited by Again!

Hi Again,

I am definitely definitely keen to know about a good foundation and pressed powder. I am not using any makeup at all. Just the moisturiser and jojoba oil. My skin is really irritated at the moment even if i wash with tap water. I have actually started skipping face wash cuz it just hurts. I so want to get a nice foundation and powder. I tried so many but all makes my skin look so flaky and I prefer to leave my skin as it is. There are so many red marks and the new ones now so I want something to cover up atleast when I am going out. Please do let me know when you try them on.

Have you tried, bare minerals? I heard its good and I was checking their skin primer which prepares your skin before you apply foundation. I am thinking to give it a go.

Also, what do you think we (acne suffrers and accutane users) shud prefer , powder foundation or cream foundation??

I tried clinique cream foundation but dint like it and returned it later.

keep us posted....

Best !!

Hi Again,

I am definitely definitely keen to know about a good foundation and pressed powder. I am not using any makeup at all. Just the moisturiser and jojoba oil. My skin is really irritated at the moment even if i wash with tap water. I have actually started skipping face wash cuz it just hurts. I so want to get a nice foundation and powder. I tried so many but all makes my skin look so flaky and I prefer to leave my skin as it is. There are so many red marks and the new ones now so I want something to cover up atleast when I am going out. Please do let me know when you try them on.

Have you tried, bare minerals? I heard its good and I was checking their skin primer which prepares your skin before you apply foundation. I am thinking to give it a go.

Also, what do you think we (acne suffrers and accutane users) shud prefer , powder foundation or cream foundation??

I tried clinique cream foundation but dint like it and returned it later.

keep us posted....

Best !!

Ugh! I can really relate to the painful cysts all over the face. I have read a few of your posts, but I don't think you mentioned what dosage your on and for how long. I'm just curious.

Okay, so I am really happy with my appointment yesturday at the "Giorgio Armani" counter at Nordstroms. Your gonna kill me though, cause I'm at work and I can't remember the exact names of my products that I ended up getting. I'm working really late tonight also. Stay tuned, because I won't forget to post them-I promise!

Let me first start out by saying, I am not rich and in fact it makes me sick that after all this time and research I have put into all of this, that I have picked pretty much the most exspensive brand-I mean seriously! Absolutely absurd-so ashamed of myself! So, please no judging. ;) Isn't crazy what acne does to us!?!

So, now that that's out of way.......I had the best lady at the counter! She was awesome! She had many friends and fellow make-up artists who have been on accutane, so she was very knowledgable with what we accutane users have to deal with, which was nice. She somehow was able to make me feel comprtable to the point where I actually let her take off my make-up in public! Now, if you know me-I don't go out in public without make-up-seriously never!

She first put their pressed powder foundation on. Pressed powder foundations always tend to have the most coverage, but are not the best for dry skin. I know that, but am desperate for coverage. She matched my skin to the perfect color and let's just say that that has never happened before. This was actually one of the main reasons for me trying Armani-they get rave reviews for having the best true to skin colors. I believe that they have even had awards for their foundations for the past 10 years!

I was really pleased with how I looked when she was done. I had mentioned how I would love to try their liquid foundation when my skin is clearer. She said, "Really? Well, let's start over and try it." I told her how I thought that liquid never gave as much coverage and how I really have no idea how to use it. She said that their foundation is very much a buildable liquid foundation. Omg, was it! She showed me how to do it and everything. Surprisingly, very easy! She said that as my skin got better, that I souls be able to use less and less. The bottle was I believe $59. I know! But I'm sorry-it's so worth it. I will keep everyone updated on how long it lasts me. I used it this morning and I swear I felt like crying. I am very pleased. I rationalize the price a little in that there is no need for setting it with a pressed powder and all other brands always say you need to. So, that's a plus.

One more thing. I also ended up buying their primer-$56-I think. I know-again, pathetic! It too was awesome. When she did one side of my face, (I couldn't see) she kept saying how surprised she was in how it immediately helped with calming down the redness. So, when she did the other side, she had me watch and it did-I was sold. What a sucker I am!

I also bought the pressed foundation powder, so I could have something to carry with me in my purse. The liquid foundation has a 14 hour life, so it shouldn't need to be touched up during the day, but I still feel better knowing I have something if need be. Another $59 later. Ugh! Well, even though I'm poor now, I'm very happy. I really can't stress that enough!

I hope that this does help you. Oh, and they have samples if you want to try it first. And if you but it at a place like Nordstroms-you can return anything, anytime. Not sure if you have a Nordstroms where you live.

Xoxoxo

Zumzumkhan-

Sorry, I just saw how ridiculously long of a reply I just made. Sorry if I bored you to death! As you can see, I am very enthusiastic about my find. ;)

Looking good! :clap:

If it carries on, be perfect in 4 months time. Fingers crossed! Can understand wanting to skip right to the end, but I bet the victory will be even sweeter when it finally does come! :D

Edited by PaulH85
Looking good! :clap:

If it carries on, be perfect in 4 months time. Fingers crossed! Can understand wanting to skip right to the end, but I bet the victory will be even sweeter when it finally does come! :D

Thanks Paul! And I sure hope your right.

You're looking wonderful girl, I'm so glad for you!

Thanks Clare!

You know what I was thinking? How horrible my skin looks in my last pictures and how many compliments I'm getting. It's funny, cause only us acne sufferers can understand that with skin that still looks bad-we know that it could be worse and have had it worse. Not sure if I made any sense. Thanks again-means a lot.

I wish I could see your progress. You should pm me your pics if you don't want to on here.

Thanks Clare!

You know what I was thinking? How horrible my skin looks in my last pictures and how many compliments I'm getting. It's funny, cause only us acne sufferers can understand that with skin that still looks bad-we know that it could be worse and have had it worse. Not sure if I made any sense. Thanks again-means a lot.

I wish I could see your progress. You should pm me your pics if you don't want to on here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll be putting on makeup and thinking wow, not bad at all! And then I realize most people don't have any acne and I'm thrilled with only a few compared to several spots. Hehe, oh well, it still feels great to look in the mirror and feel content and not wanting to cry. :) Ahh, I haven't even taken any pictures. I don't even want to take pictures because I know I'll just cringe and feel 100x worse about my progress. Honestly, I take my showers at night and don't even look in the mirror the whole rest of the night because that is when my skin is the most red and no makeup. That's how insecure I am about all this mess! So glad it's getting better though ... I could do without the redness covering my face though!!

Thanks Clare!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll be putting on makeup and thinking wow, not bad at all! And then I realize most people don't have any acne and I'm thrilled with only a few compared to several spots. Hehe, oh well, it still feels great to look in the mirror and feel content and not wanting to cry. :) Ahh, I haven't even taken any pictures. I don't even want to take pictures because I know I'll just cringe and feel 100x worse about my progress. Honestly, I take my showers at night and don't even look in the mirror the whole rest of the night because that is when my skin is the most red and no makeup. That's how insecure I am about all this mess! So glad it's getting better though ... I could do without the redness covering my face though!!

As always, it's nice to know that I'm not alone and that I'm not some weirdo. :angel:

DAY 31

So, I haven't really updated for awhile, so I felt it was time.

As you all know, my side effects have all pretty much vanished, except for my dry lips. As nice as this sounds, it sucks because I feel like my progress has also vanished along with the side effects. I really just can't wait till this Tuesday when I see my derm, so I can get back on my full dose.

I have my good days and then I have my bad days. Yesterday I was feeling really happy about my skin and then today I just wanted to cry. Right before logging on here, I was washing my face. All I could do was just look at all my imperfections. It makes me feel so sad. All I see is the damage that has been done and I somehow am not able to look past it. I wish I could remember if it was this bad before my prior course, so I would feel better, but I don't and that's so frustrating.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about: When I look at my face I don't just see red marks that are leftover from past pimples. I see all these pin needle red dots in all my pores. Does that mean that those will turn into permanent indented scars for life? Errr-all of this is just so maddening! I am so sick of obsessing over everything.

I know exactly what you mean - they look like enlarged pores because of the gunk that was stretching them out before. I don't think this is scarring. I have noticed a few on my cheeks below my eyes. I've noticed that they decrease in size over time, and a few of mine have vanished completely. They are almost perfectly round - not like an ice-pick scar. This is why I think they are only stretched and will eventually go back to their normal size.

This is what I do: I wash my face in the shower at bedtime. I tone and moisturize without looking in the mirror at all. I know this sounds ridiculous but it really helps me a.) avoid picking and b.) becoming really discouraged with all the redness/PIH covering my face. In the mornings I do my makeup and try to make that the only time I look in the mirror (unless of course I'm at work and have to clean up the flakes). Try not to look in the mirror right now because everything is still in the progress phase and it's only going to make you feel worse. Trust me this really helps. The past few days I haven't picked or scrutinized my skin in the mirror and I have seen a HUGE improvement.

DAY 32

Thanks Clare. Yeah, I really, really hope your right. I am really just so sick of all my obsessing. It makes me feel like I'm crazy or something. :( I love your helpful hints about not looking in the mirror except when putting make-up on. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to control myself. It's almost like I expect to find my face completely perfect one day or something like that.

I forgot to mention this yesterday. I was mowing the lawn for a couple hours and had completely forgot to put sunscreen on. Well..........I didn't burn. Yeah, I know that was stupid of me and I consider myself lucky, but yeah! I even got a little tan-nice.

And for those that are interested, I have an update on my make-up. I have been using it for a few days now and am loving it. It makes my skin feel like it's not so dry and flakey. It somehow melds into my skin and gives it a dewy look that looks really natural. The only thing I think that I will do differently is get a powder to set it. I was told that I didn't need one, but I personally would like one. I said that I would tell you guys the exact names of the Armani make-up. They are: "Lasting Silk UV Foundation," "Fluid Master Primer" & "Lasting Silk UV Compact Foundation."

Ahhhhhhh, 2 more days till I see my derm. What is up with us acne sufferers and counting?! I mean it seems like I'm always counting the days for some reason.

any scarring?

I would say no-so far. I need to heal more to see what damage I have. If there is scarring, I'm thinking it would be fixable with microdermabrasian (however you spell it) peels or laser. I have posted pictures if you want to look. The last ones I posted this last Thursday. Let me know what you think. I have lots of red marks everywhere!

Whoo-hooo, I am officially a veteran member. Wow, I feel soooo special. :D

So, I just had to post this. A few weeks ago I had like hundreds of little tiny and almost invisible bumps all over my chest. Well, they are all gone and my chest is soooooo smooth. I seriously can't stop touching it. (I know that sounds bad, heads out of the gutter) If this is how my face is going to be, life is gonna be nice. :cool:

I know exactly what you mean .. sometimes you feel good but when all of a sudden you look at your face and you think when this all be over....

Thank you so much for posting sucha detailed response on foundation. I need to book an appointment with them. and I would definitely wana test so I can see how good they are :)

I guess , we are at a point where we can spent anything to make our skin look better. Trust me , before going on accutane I have spent tonz of money on every single thing I cud. That had chinese herbal medicines , creams, gels and what not.

I hope accutane will do its job.

The question u asked regarding my dose. So this is my 2nd course and I am on 2nd month on 40mg throughout. 50mg was very harsh for me during first treatment hence I was put down on 40mg. The derm said this time its for six months and I hope and pray that these six months will be enough to get rid of this acne forever.

and I wish the same for every single one of u here..

xxx

DAY 31

So, I haven't really updated for awhile, so I felt it was time.

As you all know, my side effects have all pretty much vanished, except for my dry lips. As nice as this sounds, it sucks because I feel like my progress has also vanished along with the side effects. I really just can't wait till this Tuesday when I see my derm, so I can get back on my full dose.

I have my good days and then I have my bad days. Yesterday I was feeling really happy about my skin and then today I just wanted to cry. Right before logging on here, I was washing my face. All I could do was just look at all my imperfections. It makes me feel so sad. All I see is the damage that has been done and I somehow am not able to look past it. I wish I could remember if it was this bad before my prior course, so I would feel better, but I don't and that's so frustrating.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about: When I look at my face I don't just see red marks that are leftover from past pimples. I see all these pin needle red dots in all my pores. Does that mean that those will turn into permanent indented scars for life? Errr-all of this is just so maddening! I am so sick of obsessing over everything.

Hey Again,

But why two foundations?? and how you use them ? can u please tell.

DAY 32

Thanks Clare. Yeah, I really, really hope your right. I am really just so sick of all my obsessing. It makes me feel like I'm crazy or something. :( I love your helpful hints about not looking in the mirror except when putting make-up on. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to control myself. It's almost like I expect to find my face completely perfect one day or something like that.

I forgot to mention this yesterday. I was mowing the lawn for a couple hours and had completely forgot to put sunscreen on. Well..........I didn't burn. Yeah, I know that was stupid of me and I consider myself lucky, but yeah! I even got a little tan-nice.

And for those that are interested, I have an update on my make-up. I have been using it for a few days now and am loving it. It makes my skin feel like it's not so dry and flakey. It somehow melds into my skin and gives it a dewy look that looks really natural. The only thing I think that I will do differently is get a powder to set it. I was told that I didn't need one, but I personally would like one. I said that I would tell you guys the exact names of the Armani make-up. They are: "Lasting Silk UV Foundation," "Fluid Master Primer" & "Lasting Silk UV Compact Foundation."

Ahhhhhhh, 2 more days till I see my derm. What is up with us acne sufferers and counting?! I mean it seems like I'm always counting the days for some reason.

@ zumzumkhan-

I have two different foundations because I want them, not because you have to. One is my liquid that I use in the morning. The other is a compact foundation that I carry in my purse. Haven forbade I be without make-up just in case!!! Haha. And, yeah only people like us would be willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money on make-up. I too have wasted thousands over the years on products, doctor visits and such. Pathetic!

Yeah, I paid $59, but I'm not surprised that it's more money in the UK. For whatever reason, that always seems to be the case. My suggestion would be to figure out what color you are, get samples and decide if you like it. If you do, then order it online like at amazon or something like that. I'm sure that there is other foundations that are just as or almost as good. I chose this based on reviews and awards. I has been rated the best for 9 years standing!

I'm pretty open, so feel free to ask whatever. ;) I wish you the best! I sure hope that thus is the last course for the both of us.

Hello "Veteran" Again! Enjoy it while it lasts :D

Oh, I will! And thanks for the respect..........so how much longer for you?! ;) hehe

Hello "Veteran" Again! Enjoy it while it lasts :D

Oh, I will! And thanks for the respect..........so how much longer for you?! ;) hehe

A little less than a month...roughly.

Edited by Polyspast