Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Again!

Starting a 3rd Course Mid-July

My story:

I have suffered from acne from age 15 to my current age of 29. I have tired everything under the sun including my diet. Nothing works! I first went on Accutane in 2005 for 5 months at 80mg/day. I had a great experience. Dry skin and so fourth. Although, I did have blood in my stools once. I never remember having an outbreak after starting. I believe I was starting to clear up after a month and was completely clear shortly after. I was acne free for about 1 year after stopping treatment. Because I had such a great experience and outcome, I decided to go back on it in December of 06. This time I was on it for 5 months also. My dosage was 80mg/day for 2 months and then 120mg/day for 3 months. I ended May 2007. Again, I had a great experience, which was very similar to my first treatment. I was completely clear till about January 2010. At first it wasn't bad, but every month it got worse to the point where I am now, which is very severe, cystic acne that just gets worse by the day even with being in Doxycycline for over 9

Before when I had gone on accutane, I was never scared of it. I'm not sure why. Maybe because my dermatologist said I'd be fine or maybe because I was young and immature and never did research. Either way, this time-I'm terrified! Most likely because I came on here and started reading about women going completely bald! And well that's the one thing I believe, that would be worse than this acne, which is literally ruining my quality of life. I did talk to my dermatologist about my fears and she said that usually how a paint reacts to accutane in previous treatments is how they will react again. I asked her about the hairloss. She said she has never had a patient go completely bald, some had hair thinning, but it all grew back when done with treatment. I will be seeing my dermatologist on July 13th, so I should be starting no later than the 15th-Hopefully! :)

For those of you who have already read this, I just moved it to accutane logs-a better forum. :)

Okay, so I am a pretty healthy person as a whole. I am gluten free and I have been into eating healthy for many years now. For instance, my husband and I only eat organic, (even before it became the "in" thing to do) and I mean everything. I try to make sure that I eat loads of vegetables and fruit-being organic it gets quite pricey! I take vitamins that have been third party tested, which means I pay a pretty penny for them, but I feel it is worth it. I take a vitamin D, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamineral, Lemon water, probiotics and enzymes with every meal. I also take Bromelain, inflammatone and vitamin C for inflammation in the body. All of our toiletries are organic or at least all natural. We only use non-chimical cleaning products in my home. I also work-out regularly. Along with all this, I have eliminated many foods such as dairy and others things in hope of finding a cure for acne to no avail.

Despite all of this, I still have acne, which is why I have decided that accutane is right for me. We can only rely on all-natural things before it is time to turn to medicine. I still do believe in eating as healthy as possible, so I have been consulting with my Natropathic doctor to help lessen any side effects that I may get with being on Accutane and also just to be as healthy as I can be while on it. So, for anyone who is interested I am going to list everything I will be taking while on Accutane and I will definitely keep everyone updated.

So, here goes my long list:

"Thorne Research" Basic B-Complex (1 a day)

"Mega Food" Blood Builder (1 a day-it"s an Iron Supplement, but from real food sources)

"Thorne Research" D-1,000 (2 a day)

"Ultimate Flora" 50 Billion, !0 Probiotic Strains (2 a day)

"Pharmax" Finest Pure Fish Oil-liquid (2 tsp a day)

"Nature Made" Liquid Vitamin E softgel (1 a day)

"Intergrative Therapeutics, INC" (1 with every meal-it's enzymes)

"Vitamineral Greens" (1 tsp on bad days and 2 tbs on good days mixed w/lots of water)

"Thorne Research" Cal-mag citrate powder (1 scoop every night before bed and this is when I take my 2nd probiotic)

I take these together twice a day: (for inflammation in the body)

"Thorne Research" M.F. Bromelain (1 pill)

"Inflammatone" (2 pills)

"Thorne Research" Vtamin C (2 pill)

"Gaia" Ashwagandha Root (1 pill-This helps with a healthy immune & stress response)

For External:

"Systane" Eye drops for eyes (If & when needed)

"California Baby" Calendula Everyday Lotion (every morning-head to toe)

"Sanitas" Milk & Honey Body Butter (every night-head to toe)

"Weleda" Calendula Oil (I will add this to my body butter at night if I feel I need it)

I will be testing out many chapsticks, so not sure what I will love yet!

For hands:

"California Baby" Calendula Cream

Face:

"Mychelle" Cranberry Cleanser for night, since it takes off my make-up

"Juice Beauty" Cleansing Milk for morning since it's very gentle and hydrating!

"Weleda" Almond Moisturizing Cream for sensitive dry skin

Jojoba oil-whichever one is on sale (at night)

In the sun:

"Mychelle" Sun Shield SPF 28 Coconut for (face and neck)

As far as the body goes, I use whatever natural brand that's on sale

Okay, I am done! I have no idea if this will help anyone, but I hope it does!

Edited by Again!

Okay, so I am a pretty healthy person as a whole. I am gluten free and I have been into eating healthy for many years now. For instance, my husband and I only eat organic, (even before it became the "in" thing to do) and I mean everything. I try to make sure that I eat loads of vegetables and fruit-being organic it gets quite pricey! I take vitamins that have been third party tested, which means I pay a pretty penny for them, but I feel it is worth it. I take a vitamin D, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamineral, Lemon water, probiotics and enzymes with every meal. I also take Bromelain, inflammatone and vitamin C for inflammation in the body. All of our toiletries are organic or at least all natural. We only use non-chimical cleaning products in my home. I also work-out regularly. Along with all this, I have eliminated many foods such as dairy and others things in hope of finding a cure for acne to no avail.

Despite all of this, I still have acne, which is why I have decided that accutane is right for me. We can only rely on all-natural things before it is time to turn to medicine. I still do believe in eating as healthy as possible, so I have been consulting with my Natropathic doctor to help lessen any side effects that I may get with being on Accutane and also just to be as healthy as I can be while on it. So, for anyone who is interested I am going to list everything I will be taking while on Accutane and I will definitely keep everyone updated.

"Mega Food" Blood Builder (1 a day-it"s an Iron Supplement, but from real food sources)

"Thorne Research" D-1,000 (1 a day)

"Pharmax" Finest Pure Fish Oil-liquid (1 tsp a day)

"Vitamineral Greens" (1 tsp on bad days and 2 tbs on good days mixed w/lots of water)

I squeeze 1/2 a lemon in hot water every morning-to cleanse the liver and this is when I take my 1st probiotic)

"Thorne Research" Cal-mag citrate powder (1 scoop every night before bed and this is when I take my 2nd probiotic)

"Inflammatone" (2 pills)

"Thorne Research" Vtamin C (1 pill)

For External:

"Systane" Eye drops for eyes (2 times a day?)

"Weleda" Calendula Oil (I will add this to my body butter at night if I feel I need it)

For hands:

Face:

In the sun:

Wow that is a lot of stuff! I am planning on taking glucosamine for sure (the non-shellfish kind...I am allergic!) but that's it for now. Although if lemon water cleanses the liver I will probably do that also. I am still thinking about what i will use on my face. I absolutely hate Cetaphil so that's out. I have a bunch of samples from my derm that I am going to try, and then some from Sephora as well. I also am considering Purpose face wash and maybe that Aveeno calming one. I am more unsure about moisturizers..I've never in my life had dry skin so I am not really sure how to handle it or what would be too much, etc...haha.

"Thorne Research" D-1,000 (1 a day)

"Pharmax" Finest Pure Fish Oil-liquid (1 tsp a day)

I squeeze 1/2 a lemon in hot water every morning-to cleanse the liver and this is when I take my 1st probiotic)

"Inflammatone" (2 pills)

"Thorne Research" Vtamin C (1 pill)

For External:

"Systane" Eye drops for eyes (2 times a day?)

For hands:

Face:

In the sun:

Wow that is a lot of stuff! I am planning on taking glucosamine for sure (the non-shellfish kind...I am allergic!) but that's it for now. Although if lemon water cleanses the liver I will probably do that also. I am still thinking about what i will use on my face. I absolutely hate Cetaphil so that's out. I have a bunch of samples from my derm that I am going to try, and then some from Sephora as well. I also am considering Purpose face wash and maybe that Aveeno calming one. I am more unsure about moisturizers..I've never in my life had dry skin so I am not really sure how to handle it or what would be too much, etc...haha.

Yeah, I know-hehe! :) I'm sure I am totally going over board, but oh well. Lemon water does cleanse the liver which is why I am definitely going to do it while on acutane to help with my blood work. The two things I really think are important would be the probiotics and the fish oil.

The whole dry skin thing-trust me, you wont even believe it's your skin! :) I did develop a mild rash on my 2nd course from my skin being too dry and that's why I am kinda going overboard with the lotion. My derm was the one who told me to put lotion on twice a day. I do wonder if the reason for my side effects in the past being so mild, was because of my crazy lotion routine. If so, then it's worth doing it again.

8 days left! :)

Hey babe!

Good luck on ur course, and def keep in touch!

My acne was quite similar to urs back in feb of this year.

I never dealt with acne really, prior to this...

U can check out my log if ud like my whole sad story, lol

Its very comforting to me to know there r other adults dealing with this. Often times I get pretty lonely and sorta use this as an excuse. I'm happy to hear uv got a husband to help support u!

Lots of love

Crystal

Xoxoxo

Hey babe!

Good luck on ur course, and def keep in touch!

My acne was quite similar to urs back in feb of this year.

I never dealt with acne really, prior to this...

U can check out my log if ud like my whole sad story, lol

Its very comforting to me to know there r other adults dealing with this. Often times I get pretty lonely and sorta use this as an excuse. I'm happy to hear uv got a husband to help support u!

Lots of love

Crystal

Xoxoxo

Ah, thanks Crystal! I just love this site and all the encouragement we get. I have read many of your postings, but I will have to swing over to your log.

When you say that you had similar acne to mine, was it as bad. And regardless, how is your acne doing now? How's the scaring? Scaring is really what I am currently stressing over, even though I know that does no good. Thanks.

Id say yes, pretty close, urs is maybe a little worse. Mine was like an infection that just spread out of control. I had a ton of clogs and id pick, it was literally a nightmare. Makes me sick to think back to it honestly.

I had too many active zits to count, and the cysts... oh lord those hurt and would last forever.

I was actually improving before tane, mostly I figure bc I quit erythromycin and bcp. I think the bcp made me worse tbh. I am doing much better now, I still look about like the last pics I posted. As far as scarring, ya I'm scarred.

I'm ok with it tho, I just want the tone even. I found that picking does not scar me, but leaving a big deep zit just sit and sit does. I guess I'm diff then most ppl on here in that regard.

I have never dealt with anytthing as hard as this mentally, but its sooooo much better than it was. I know in a couple more months I will be satisfied. For now tho, I still breakout. I have a new active every day for aa week, that time of the month ;) but I did go almost two weeks and no actives... amazing really, until u get a new one, booo, lol

Once the major infection is controlled it gets so much better. But u know that, uv been on tane before. Most of my clogs r going too, but I still have some.

I just want u to know I'm here for u, as a fellow 29 year old w/ bull shit acne ;)

I know uv got support @ home and that's great, something I do not have. I am here if u ever need anything!

Crystal-

I wish that you had more support at home. Makes me sad to read that. I will add that as much as my husband does try and support me, it's not enough. I still feel very alone at times. I think because, no one really understands our pain like us fellow acne suffers. And also, I think he is getting extremely tired of listening to me rant and rave constantly about acne this and accutane that. Hehe!

Anyways, I hope that life is slowly getting better for you. Life sure has it's sucky moments, but hopefully very soon you will have some happy times back in your life.

Woo found your log! :) I think i gave up on my log and just posted depressing posts that probably that know one was interested in haha..

I cant wait for you to finally get started.

mini xxx

Id say yes, pretty close, urs is maybe a little worse. Mine was like an infection that just spread out of control. I had a ton of clogs and id pick, it was literally a nightmare. Makes me sick to think back to it honestly.

I had too many active zits to count, and the cysts... oh lord those hurt and would last forever.

I was actually improving before tane, mostly I figure bc I quit erythromycin and bcp. I think the bcp made me worse tbh. I am doing much better now, I still look about like the last pics I posted. As far as scarring, ya I'm scarred.

I'm ok with it tho, I just want the tone even. I found that picking does not scar me, but leaving a big deep zit just sit and sit does. I guess I'm diff then most ppl on here in that regard.

I have never dealt with anytthing as hard as this mentally, but its sooooo much better than it was. I know in a couple more months I will be satisfied. For now tho, I still breakout. I have a new active every day for aa week, that time of the month ;) but I did go almost two weeks and no actives... amazing really, until u get a new one, booo, lol

Once the major infection is controlled it gets so much better. But u know that, uv been on tane before. Most of my clogs r going too, but I still have some.

I just want u to know I'm here for u, as a fellow 29 year old w/ bull shit acne ;)

I know uv got support @ home and that's great, something I do not have. I am here if u ever need anything!

I Support you Crystal babe our message marathons everyday :) xxx

Ah, glad you foun me! Yeah, I've never blogged before, so we'll see how good I'm at it. I suppose it's good even if it's just for yourself to have a place to vent. You'll have to let me know if it's utterly boring and depressing. :) By the way, I know you have some free time on your hands, so swing over to accutane logs forum and go to kernel..panic's blog. Trust me, it's worth your time. Start from the beginning. She is super funny. There's a lot of swearing though, just warning you. I'm on page 8-it's an old blog.

I feel like I've been on acne.org all day. Having a smarphone really makes it so I am always on here. :)

I Support you Crystal babe our message marathons everyday :) xxx

Ah......I can feel the love! ;) looks like I have some good gals on here.

Good luck on your course! There's a lot of support on here. I think the majority of us are women in their 20s!

Edited by pinkstarlett

Thanks! I know, it's pretty cool that there's a bunch of us. ;) I bet your getting pretty excited that your almost done with your course.

when do you start?! should be any day now, eh?

Yes, thanks for asking! I see my derm tomorrow and will get confirmed Thursday, so I'm hoping I will be taking my first pill Thursday night. 2 more days...........ahhhhh can't wait!

when do you start?! should be any day now, eh?

Yes, thanks for asking! I see my derm tomorrow and will get confirmed Thursday, so I'm hoping I will be taking my first pill Thursday night. 2 more days...........ahhhhh can't wait!

Are u starting babe???

I am soooo excited for u!

Lots of love,

and of course a little chuck couldn't hurt.......

:chuck:

Thanks for thinking of me Elle! And yes I did-swallowed my first pill at 7:30pm. I am so very excited. 40mg taken twice a day, so a total of 80mg a day. I'm wondering if I will experience the IB and side effects sooner due to the high dosage.

omg you are beautiful!!!! have any of the side effects started? keep us updated. you can do this. your skin might get worse at first but then it will clear up. but you know this, you've taken accutane before. i'm excited for you!

Day 5

Thanks Elle and Julia for asking about me. I haven't been around due to just a hectic crazy schedule. I am absolutely exhausted right now as I'm writing this-soooo tired. I have been getting about 4 hours of sleep the past 4 nights (I know, what a way to start accutane) and I just got done working a 12 hour work-day. Ugh!

Anywho, quick update. So, I am on day 5 at 80mg a day and really feel no different. Yes, I am thirsty all the time and I swear I drink on average at least 6 liters a day! I'm really not exaggerating. I use this huge 1.5 liter water bottle that I refill, so I know. I do know that I am a person who already drinks way more water than everyone else so I am not surprised. My lips are a little drier, but not bad yet, especially considering how bad I know they are going to get. I put lotion on every night and morning, so if my skin is dry I can't tell, which is fine with me. I do not have any other side effects and at this point feel no different.

As far as my mood goes, I'm happy. It was weird because I was so nervous before I went on accutane, but right before I started I had this excitement and joy come over me. I am almost happy, I would say.

My skin is sooooo much better already, it's almost unreal. I started on a Thursday night and I noticed a big difference Saturday morning. Yes, I have red scar marks absolutely everywhere, but the inflammation was almost gone. The majority of my gazillion cystic zits had shrunk to the point where they didn't hurt anymore. The trade off is my skin hurts really bad, because it's so sensitive. I have had about a dozen new zits since I started. That is definitely not an IB since I could wake up to about a half a dozen new ones every day! I am not getting my hopes up. At this point I am calling this the calm before the storm............scary!

Omg babe what a difference you look amazing and its only 1 week. Im so happy for you

Heres me month three and still look like moon face, haha. You will clear in no time!! xxxx

Omg babe what a difference you look amazing and its only 1 week. Im so happy for you

Heres me month three and still look like moon face, haha. You will clear in no time!! xxxx

Thanks love! Yeah, I'm happy with the results thus far, but i'm trying my hardest not to get too excited. I feel like any day, I am going to wake up to the worst IB ever! It's also hard to believe that all those red marks will go away.