Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had worked up to using a full pump of BP at night and either 1/2 a pump or a full pump in the morning. I know that Dan says it is important to use the full 3 pumps, but i feel as though my skin is completely coated with just this amount. increasing the amount makes my face super dry and scaly. Do i really need to slather it on? shouldn't it be enough that it's completely covered?

When I started the regimen a couple of years ago, I used the minimum amount I could that would cover my face & neck. That was about 1 & a bit pumps of the old style pumps. With the current pumps, I use 1 1/2 pumps to thinly cover the whole of my face & neck. I never ramped up to using any more, I stuck with that amount & it worked for me.

I did try using more than that once, & it felt very uncomfortable & just seemed to sit on my face, taking ages to dry.

I think it's safe to try it for a little while but Dan really does recommend following the Regimen until you are completely clear, then adjusting amounts of what you use, etc.

It's kind of up to you. You could follow what he says and know you have that to fall back on if it doesn't work ("well I followed the Regimen"), or you could do what you want and if it doesn't work you can always try the Regimen full scale ("I tried using less and it didn't work. Follow the Regimen"). I think it's really a personal preference thing, as I see people going both ways.

Just try using the recommended amount for as long as you can stand it. I used the recommended dose for several months, despite my skin drying out and flaking everywhere in the middle of the day, despite moisturizing. I guess because of my dry environment, hard water, less oily skin due to age, or whatever, the recommended dose was too much. Once my skin flaked off in a few areas leaving raw spots, I kind of figured it was too much. I've been using half the recommended dose ever since. And it works fine.

Your best bet would be to follow The Regimen exactly--including working your way up to and using the full recommended about on BP--until you're staying consistently clear. Then, if you still want to, you can try gradually decreasing the amount of BP you use until you find the minimum amount that you need to stay clear.