Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys, so this is not completely acne related, but has anyone experience anxiety symptoms and panic attacks? i'm having one right now, in fact on average i have one once a day some times they are more severe than others.

My anxiety disorder has many triggers, but i guess the one that relates to this forum is an fear of being disfigured by a medical procedure. I think i have body dysmorphia. When i'm anxious, skin picking helps calm me down.

i hate this, all i want to do is be able to sleep.

I went through a time in my life where I was having panic attacks nearly every day for a few months. It was during my Junior year in high school and it was brought on by being forced to confront certain phobias over and over again. I eventually had a massive panic attack and ended up in the ER, only to be told by the doctors that they didn't know what was happening. I decided to do their own job and self-diagnosed myself with panic disorder. It was pretty obvious once I read other peoples' experiences and the symptoms. But it was one of the worst experiences of my life... the other horrible experiences being later panic attacks XD

Anyway, I refused to go on drugs and just accepted my symptoms as being harmless. I even tried to trigger a panic attack on my own time just so I could become more familiar with the physical feelings and associate them with harmless effects.

I have severe anxiety that branches down to Derealization and Depersonalization which makes reality distorted and I feel out of body. It's not really all from acne, but my triggers are drugs and caffeine/stimulants.

Currently i'm on Ativan (benzodiazapine), but I hope to use safe alternatives later on such as 5-HTP, GABA and Valerian Root.

Edited by psycho

Yep, I definitely do. When I go out in public, I'm always paranoid that people are staring at my face (I have moderate acne BTW). For example, today, me and my mom went to a pizza place to get some food. We had to walk in and order and wait for the pizza to be ready. There was about 5 or 6 other customers in there. So, all I did once we walked in until we walked out, was put my hands over my eyes so I couldn't see anything. Why? I don't want to SEE people looking at my acne. It's really fucking embarrasing knowing people are staring at your acne and knowing their judging you based on it. To be honest, I'm just really ASHAMED of myself because of acne. When I think about when I used to have CLEAR skin prior to when I turned 16 (when I hit puberty preety damn hard; I'm 18, male if your wondering), it just makes me want to throw up. It's really depressing. I used to have SOME confidence in myself prior to acne, but ever since I started getting it, I have had absolutely no confidence in myself and I no longer have any self esteem either. Acne has taken all that away from me. I'm an average looking guy and I know I could be getting girls right now if it wasn't for my acne. But acne always holds me back and what girl wants a guy with acne all over his face? None of them. I'm fucked for life. Sorry for the rant.

Yep, I definitely do. When I go out in public, I'm always paranoid that people are staring at my face (I have moderate acne BTW). For example, today, me and my mom went to a pizza place to get some food. We had to walk in and order and wait for the pizza to be ready. There was about 5 or 6 other customers in there. So, all I did once we walked in until we walked out, was put my hands over my eyes so I couldn't see anything. Why? I don't want to SEE people looking at my acne. It's really fucking embarrasing knowing people are staring at your acne and knowing their judging you based on it. To be honest, I'm just really ASHAMED of myself because of acne. When I think about when I used to have CLEAR skin prior to when I turned 16 (when I hit puberty preety damn hard; I'm 18, male if your wondering), it just makes me want to throw up. It's really depressing. I used to have SOME confidence in myself prior to acne, but ever since I started getting it, I have had absolutely no confidence in myself and I no longer have any self esteem either. Acne has taken all that away from me. I'm an average looking guy and I know I could be getting girls right now if it wasn't for my acne. But acne always holds me back and what girl wants a guy with acne all over his face? None of them. I'm fucked for life. Sorry for the rant.

I feel ya. I hate how I always rant on and on to my best friend about my acne since she doesn't have any but still. It always feels good to just let it out there. But don't let acne control your life.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Hi guys, so this is not completely acne related, but has anyone experience anxiety symptoms and panic attacks? i'm having one right now, in fact on average i have one once a day some times they are more severe than others.

My anxiety disorder has many triggers, but i guess the one that relates to this forum is an fear of being disfigured by a medical procedure. I think i have body dysmorphia. When i'm anxious, skin picking helps calm me down.

i have been suffering from insomnia since 2 years ago. at the same time acne broke out. i m afraid of ppl looking at my face. i am more afraid of looking at face. i suffered from anxiety while trying to sleep and thinking of my face.

mee too. i am only 18 and i wan to have a normal sleep. i hate going to sch for 2 reasons: bad sleep and bad face.

i have been taking reshi supplements and it seems a bit better nowadays.

SRSLY I noe how u feel. i am feeling the same things as you. i hate going out with my frens with them looking at my face. it is srsly damn damn ..... . i hate sch.

i tend to like dark places so that my face won look so bad. i am now suffering from chronic insomnia due to my acne. i am even hospitalised for my insomnia. Up to now no 1 noes that the true reason is due to my acne. I am really tired.

now, i go out alone. moives alone, dinner alone, exercise alone. i love to be alone. i will read and copy down the bible. it feels good for your spiritual and mental health.

If only we were frens,then maybe it would be better.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I kind of did. I was the exact same way in the picking apartment.

Adding more fats to my diet like cold pressed olive oil.

Getting more sun every day.

Taking full spectrum digestive enzymes. and getting off gluten and lactose. And anything at all you might be allergic too even to the slightest extent.

Getting bpas out of my diet.

Changed my thoughts.

ect

has all made me chill as an ice cube.

Edited by AthleticHunta

My brain to your keyboard. I'm sick of living like this. I'm constantly in fear and sick to my stomach, then I just break down at least once a day. I'd say as far as severe-I-can't-breathe-I'm-going-to-die things go... that happens about once a week.

At night when I go to sleep and I'm half awake... I feel angry. To the point where I want to hurt someone or something. I hate my self for having acne and feel so much anger against my sister that has perfect skin. So much anger. It's terrible. Now I'm on spiro and it's honestly helping, but it puts me in a terrible mood! I stay locked in my room cry and all emotional all the time. But i continue it because it's helping so much

I just finished my senior year of high school, and it was terrible for me emotionally. There was so much pressure- applying to colleges, applying for scholarships, interviewing for scholarships, playing tennis and doing well, and, of course, making superb (not good, not great, but SUPERB) grades in 5 AP classes and 3 honors classes so that I could graduate as valedictorian. I had "freak outs"- meltdowns with tears and the works- in the middle of class when I would make a B or lower on a test, or at home while studying. Plus I was self-concious about my weight and my acne.

My parents bore the brunt of it. They took me to a psychologist, who suggested that I might have generalized anxiety disorder, but most likely was not fully able to handle the enormous amount of pressure that I was putting on myself. I never followed up, because I didn't want to have to go on any medication.

I started journaling my feelings, and I also started having more fun. I reconnected with girlfriends for dinner and movie nights and sleepovers. I exercised every day, and ate healthier. I finally found a routine that cleared up my acne. I told myself that, even if I didn't graduate valedictorian or salutatorian, it would be OKAY. My choice college (a very prestigious Southern state university) accepted me early, and I was a semi-finalist for a full-ride scholarship that the school offered. I relaxed about studying- I still studied, but not into a frenzy. And guess what? I still made great grades, and I actually DID graduate valedictorian, although by that point it wasn't a big deal to me.

TL;DR.... Long story short: don't take yourself too seriously! Love yourself for who you are, be healthy, work hard, but have fun and RELAX! Life is too short for anxiety. Now, I just have to get through my freshman year...

i use to get anxiety out in public too, but i realised its better if you stick it out and keep your head up, if your the kid thats staring at his shoes to hide his face people are going to walk all over you, im not going to lie even though i do this some people still comment about my face but i just tell them straight out that im breakin out a bit and they usually drop it after you explain. and dont think girls arent in to you :naughty: bc of your acne, beleive me i thought the same i thought that no guy would want to be with me bc of my face- its turns out a lot of guys liked me but i was never really approachable bc of my low confidence i would avoid talking to them if they came up to me. if you stay home or go out you'll get hurt either way staying home=depressed, going out= people say sumthin about your acne, dont be afraid to go out, i was but not anymore, fuck you acne you dont completely control me!!!- sorry i got a little ranty myself:)

i get anxiety from what i have lost to my acne. myself. completely. and the only person that understood me. it's cost me so much out of life, and now i am starting to try to rebuild myself from scratch. a sense of not knowing who you are anymore is a scary thing. there is little hope in my cup, but i'm holding on to it.

Wow, as someone who's been dealing with severe anxiety for years and years, I have to say it's kind of comforting to see so many people come forward and talk about their own anxiety. Anxiety can be such a lonely thing to deal with. It's nice to know there are other Orgers that understand : )

I have issues with anxiety. I took Zoloft for it last year, but I decided to stop taking it after a couple of months because I didn't want to experience withdrawal symptoms. I am a worrier by nature and get angered pretty easily. Sometimes, I try to ignore the fact that I'm a critical person naturally, but I think that it's just the way that I am. I am a really kind person and always find time to help others out, but I do know that deep down inside me, there's an angry person that I haven't confronted. My mom tells me I need to calm down and that I am "an angry person", but it's so hard for me to believe considering I have been used to calling myself a good girl all my life. I'm not sure what to do, but I can be nasty to other people when I want to be (very rarely, but it happens). I have a hard time tolerating stupidity and have high expectations for myself and expect the same out of others.

Edited by Sima

I used to have pretty big anxiety issues too. But I got rid of them a long time ago. For me the answer was using various forms of meditation. :nod: I'm not referring to sitting down, closing your eyes and going "Oooooooommmmmmmmmmm" but other forms which sort of resemble what people would call CBT. If y'all haven't looked into any of that I can recommend it as it can be an effective manner to get rid of your anxiety problems for good.

I also suffer from GAD, and acne definitely makes it worse. I'm on Xanax, so it's hard for me to experience a panic attack but I have also lost sleep over acne.

My best advice is to make it appear less hopeless. If you see a shrink, talk to him/her about it, and try to open up to the people you trust that acne can feel traumatic. Even if they don't do anything, it helps just to get it out of you.

Peace!