Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I remember reading that eating a clove of raw garlic a day can really help clear up breakouts. Has anyone had any experience with this, or is it just some BS tale I happened to stumble upon online? Thanks!

I take 2 or 3 cloves a day with meals that definitely do good for my skin. People have said that sulfur containing foods like garlic, onions, tumeric etc. are generally good for acne. I read somewhere here once that after cutting/dicing/chopping onions and garlic, you should leave them for 10 minutes for enzyme reactions to occur before cooking them. I just throw garlic into my meals raw.

Oh yeah garlic is huge. I'm a big believer in a weak liver being a really big cause for a lot of acne sufferers. Which is why over eating, not getting enough sleep, not treating your liver right all results in acne for many. Garlic and onions are amazing for detoxing the liver. As well as hot water with lemon.

Foods containing significant amounts of sulfur (garlic, onions, eggs, artichoke, sprouts, broccoli, etc.) tend to be good for the skin overall and helps with cellular metabolic function. It's found in the body in very significant amounts as well. Sulfur is also partially necessary to continuously produce Collagen so it's very important to skin and joint health.

Even Proactiv has that sulfur mask thing which is supposed to be really effective.

Edited by chunkylard

I take 3000mg of MSM a day, which is natural sulfur, definitely helps my skin, ever since I started taking it, it seems that any acne I do get, heals much faster, perhaps because of the collagen creation mentioned above^^^?

Ok so now that I'm trying to work it into a daily routine, how much should I take? Would starting out with one clove be enough? How much do I need to see a difference?

I'm not aware of any rules. 2-3 cloves, an onion and 2 spoons of tumeric a day do wonders for me. Probably more than I need, but they're all damn fine ingredients.

Guest davidtheskinking

Garlic is great! the great thing about it is that it kills the bad bacteria in your body that causes acne but it doesn't kill the good bacteria (probiotics) like anti-biotics do, they just kill all the bacteria which is actually not good.

I'd recommend continuing to take that!

Good luck!

David