Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I read this in the paper yesterday and the story really moved me. I'm not posting this to make the point of "look how much worse it could be compared to what we are dealing with", its more to make the point of how much a person's attitude and perspective impacts how they deal with adversity. There are so many threads here about how depressed many of us get because of acne problems, acne scarring, etc. and how much many of us have allowed it to bring us down and rule our lives.

I really admired this girl's positive attitude and strength and how she refuses to let her horrible abuse or her extensive scarring keep her from living her life and making a difference. I hope someone else here is inspired by reading this story too.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/03/3744495/s...l#disqus_thread

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/02/3744055/t...rylink=misearch

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Definitely inspirational. Her optimistic attitude seems so contradictory to what I'd think it would be, after all that she suffered. Amazing that she has forgiven them, and doesn't let it stop her from living life. The pictures of the plank, tools, and the story of the busted/sown/busted/sown lip really made me feel uncomfortable, she's such a strong young woman. With such strong drive like that, I look forward to what she'll accomplish.

Too much to read. But maybe I'll read it later. I looked at the pictures, and wow. That's some scary shit. But I definitely agree, her attitude is quite breathtaking. It's definitely an attitude I've attempted to grab onto many times but have failed. Although I think I'm mostly there now. Yes, my acne and the marks I have left behind from it are quire horrible to me, but it shouldn't be keeping me from doing things I love. Especially with friends who already don't care about my skin! And her scars look significantly better now that she's older, which clearly shows that while it may be bad for a while, things are not always going to remain the same.

Reading it now. That's messed up, especially with how the organizations and schools just shrugged it off. Like, wtf.

I know. She actually posted in the comments section of the article about how CPS just didn't do anything. They were called in more than once, but she said that CPS would come, do nothing and then they just got beaten worse after. She said they learned to just stop calling. I know that CPS is overloaded, but I can't understand why someone didn't see the injuries on this girl - teachers, social workers, somebody.

Definitely inspirational. Her optimistic attitude seems so contradictory to what I'd think it would be, after all that she suffered. Amazing that she has forgiven them, and doesn't let it stop her from living life. The pictures of the plank, tools, and the story of the busted/sown/busted/sown lip really made me feel uncomfortable, she's such a strong young woman. With such strong drive like that, I look forward to what she'll accomplish.

I thought the same thing. I can't imagine not having anger or hatred toward someone who did such horrible things to you. But, I guess if you hold on to all that hate, it only hurts you and holds you back.

I also found it really interesting that she has no plans of having plastic surgery to fix any of her scarring. She sees the scars as a reminder of what she was able to survive.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Yeah, that sucks.

Here's a couple of things to think about though, they only showed one clip, one interview. Say you were interviewed about your acne. And your struggles etc. What would you say? You would probably say stuff like, it's a struggle, but I try not to let it hold me back from doing what I want to do. It's a battle every day but I keep moving forward. It was just one interview. If I were interviewed once about my acne etc, I would most likely say positive things. She has to think about it, she went through a lot of crap, but you know, you can't let the past get the best of you. But here's the thing, our acne doesn't "go away" like her parents did. She's got her scars, and knows what caused them. On the the other end of things we get acne and don't know what's causing our disorder. Some people's faces are severely scarred here and it happens just going about an every day life.

Think about it. If the ghost of acne came up to you said, your acne is now over. You are left with acne scars etc, but it's over. How would you feel about yourself? *Big gasp* sigh of relief. I'd feel secure. Scars fade in time. However, we're just sitting here, and acne is striking us. And when it doesn't strike we know it will eventually. Imagine her parents as our acne. Imagine us as her. Her parents are walking around with her and following her around wherever she goes. They strike whenever they want, randomly, it could be anywhere, at the movies, in our sleep, etc. We don't know how to ward the parents off, some things we do just make them more angry and they increase the beatings times 2 or times 10 if we do try something. And her parents won't die. The only time her parents die is when you die. There's no hope unless some scientist somewhere discovers a cure. And the chances of that are same with anything, take cancer. What are the odds of cancer being cured in the next 5 years? Next ten? Next twenty? Answer is it's not happening.

Acne is pretty terrible condition. Incurable degenerative disease really.. This video didn't inspire me at all. Show me a guy plagued with horrific acne that keeps picking up chicks and being a rock star. That would inspire me. This doesn't.

As I said in my original post, this wasn't intended to be a comparison of whose suffering is worse (although I can't imagine most people here being able to honestly say that what they have experienced is worse than being tortured and horrifically abused as a child).

It was about how people deal with whatever adversity comes into their lives - any adversity. Yes, we can all be depressed about having acne or scarring and spend all our time wishing things would get better or be different, what it would be like if we never experienced acne. But is that worth stopping your life for or spending most of your time feeling miserable about? How does that make things better? I mean this girl could spend all her time thinking "why me" and about how she might look today if she hadn't been savagely abused - which would just leave her angry and depressed. I think attitude and perspective is very important.

So you said this:

"Acne is pretty terrible condition. Incurable degenerative disease really.. This video didn't inspire me at all. Show me a guy plagued with horrific acne that keeps picking up chicks and being a rock star. That would inspire me. This doesn't."

Picking up chicks and being a rock star? Glad to know that you are focusing on what's most important in life. And why does someone else have to suffer the same exact thing as you (acne) in order to be an inspiration for dealing with adversity?

A lot of her adversity is gone though. It's over for her. Maybe if she was living a happy life while getting beaten. Right now we're the ones beaten, and still getting beaten, and will always be getting beaten. Her problem is over. Ours is not. Or ever will be.

This doesn't help my cause.

But I'm still mind-boggled, puzzled, how some people in this world can have such bad luck. I hope god is with her.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

@fakename are you kidding me! Have you ever been kicked in the face with a steel toed boot or had your scalp pierced? That's nothing compared to having acne. At least acne can be treated with medication or by changing your diet, etc. No one said that you had to be inspired by the story or the video, but you are acting really pathetic. How could you compare the severity of this situation to a 'rock star' who gets laid by hot 'chicks'? There is no comparison. That was really selfish of you to say something like that. Acne is just acne. It could be so much worse. I know that it affects you emotionally, physically, and mentally. It is very traumatizing. I experienced it for several years.

There's no hope unless some scientist somewhere discovers a cure.
Edited by Sima

A lot of her adversity is gone though. It's over for her. Maybe if she was living a happy life while getting beaten. Right now we're the ones beaten, and still getting beaten, and will always be getting beaten. Her problem is over. Ours is not. Or ever will be.

Lol really? REALLY?

Thank you for sharing, Willow! She is an inspiration to me. Attitude is everything.

You're welcome! Glad you found it inspiring too. The story has been on my mind ever since I read it. I really feel like it had a very positive impact on my own perspective on things.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Ah well. At least some people can take something from this story! I mean, I understand the total despair you can feel from acne, almost feeling like "you know what, I'd so take being abused or being in a wheelchair forever over having acne," because I've pretty much been there. It's about overcoming that.

I think its a despair you can feel from almost anything bad that happens to you. Its very hard to make that mental shift that brings you out of that mindset. I mean, we only have a certain amount of control of what happens to our skin - much of what happens is beyond our control though. You can't help being acne prone, or make acne scars disappear no matter how hard you wish. The one thing you can change though is how you think about the problem and how much you let it interfere with your life. That is one thing that we do have control over. Its definitely not an easy place to get to though.

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about "acne is worse than what she went through" and "it has to be the same thing to inspire me" I didn't say any of that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...niel-Lynch.html

This is a story about a beautiful girl who had her face disfigured when her boyfriend threw acid in her face.

She is constantly in the news and on TV pioneering and championing beauty from the inside.

She makes me feel ashamed of myself for being so concerned about my looks. When we are old none of us have our looks any more, all we are left with are the relationships we have forged over the years and the marks we have made on the world...

Edited by abigailwheeler

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...niel-Lynch.html

This is a story about a beautiful girl who had her face disfigured when her boyfriend through acid in her face.

She is constantly in the news and on TV pioneering and championing beauty from the inside.

She makes me feel ashamed of myself for being so concerned about my looks. When we are old none of us have our looks any more, all we are left with are the relationships we have forged over the years and the marks we have made on the world...

I think these kinds of stories really help give some perspective. And once again, I think it shows that while many bad things that happen to us are not within our control, how we cope with it is within our control and how we think about it and how we live (or don't live) is very much up to us. Thanks for posting the story!

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about "acne is worse than what she went through" and "it has to be the same thing to inspire me" I didn't say any of that.

What you said was this:

"Show me a guy plagued with horrific acne that keeps picking up chicks and being a rock star. That would inspire me. This doesn't."

Which says that you are looking for inspiration from someone who suffering the exact same way you are suffering.

And your first post basically says that her problems aren't so bad because they are over, but your acne problem is worse because is ongoing. So, yes - you did make a comparison between her trauma and your problems.

I think these kinds of stories really help give some perspective. And once again, I think it shows that while many bad things that happen to us are not within our control, how we cope with it is within our control and how we think about it and how we live (or don't live) is very much up to us. Thanks for posting the story!

Well said. :nod: I think seeing one's problems, whatever they may be, in perspective is very important indeed. I can't agree more.