Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abigailwheeler

Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Partners and your acne

Ive been reading yahoo answers. EVERYONE says the same thing.

Confidence, personality, sense of humor, and what's inside

Type in "girls dating guys with acne" in google. This is if your a guy.

It's really not fair to anyone, to just throw around cliche's like that. Confidence cannot compensate for flawed attributes. Yahoo answers is notorious for giving out bad advice and the politically correct response is always "Confidence, personality blah blah" to convey a false nobility that they don't really have. It's all in fact a fallacy. If we're going to be honest here, in most cases, if you don't pass the screening process (surface aka "shallow" attraction) your odds are already severely hampered, if not completely annihilated. There are of course some exceptions, but that's all they are, exceptions. If people were more honest with themselves and others, more people would have closure and take the ACTUAL necessary steps required, to improve their chances of finding a partner. Human behaviour is contradictory to the human mind. It would be wise to learn based on people's actions, rather than their words.

If you want the hard hitting truth, search through a few forums where the main focus isn't to make someone else feel better. Where they can bare their fangs without remorse and then you will see how shallow we really are.

Edited by Lee1234

It's really not fair to anyone, to just throw around cliche's like that. Confidence cannot compensate for flawed attributes. Yahoo answers is notorious for giving out bad advice and the politically correct response is always "Confidence, personality blah blah" to convey a false nobility that they don't really have. It's all in fact a fallacy. If we're going to be honest here, in most cases, if you don't pass the screening process (surface aka "shallow" attraction) your odds are already severely hampered, if not completely annihilated. There are of course some exceptions, but that's all they are, exceptions. If people were more honest with themselves and others, more people would have closure and take the ACTUAL necessary steps required, to improve their chances of finding a partner. Human behaviour is contradictory to the human mind. It would be wise to learn based on people's actions, rather than their words.

thanks for bursting my bubble.

I do apologize. It wasn't my intention to do so, but the honest truth is confidence IN ADDITION to other assets (be they looks, money etc) is what will highly increase your odds. There's something called the "Halo effect" where people perceive attractive people to posses traits that they don't really have (Humour, generosity) and this perception allows people to (subconsciously) sympathize with them more and be more forgiving when they make a mistake. Think of it this way, a girl will see a handsome man approaching her as bold and brave. That same girl will view an ugly man approaching her as annoying and troublesome. It's sad and a difficult pill to swallow, but it's not fair for people to lie about things like this.

I do apologize. It wasn't my intention to do so, but the honest truth is confidence IN ADDITION to other assets (be they looks, money etc) is what will highly increase your odds. There's something called the "Halo effect" where people perceive attractive people to posses traits that they don't really have (Humour, generosity) and this perception allows people to (subconsciously) sympathize with them more and be more forgiving when they make a mistake. Think of it this way, a girl will see a handsome man approaching her as bold and brave. That same girl will view an ugly man approaching her as annoying and troublesome. It's sad and a difficult pill to swallow, but it's not fair for people to lie about things like this.

Yeah, but if that same handsome guy bumps into her and doesn't apologize then he will be reduced to an asshole in spite of his looks. If the unattractive man does the same, then an asshole as well. But if the unattractive guy were to smile and apologize, then he would be in much better standing than the attractive asshole. At least, that's my view on it.

Yeah, but if that same handsome guy bumps into her and doesn't apologize then he will be reduced to an asshole in spite of his looks. If the unattractive man does the same, then an asshole as well. But if the unattractive guy were to smile and apologize, then he would be in much better standing than the attractive asshole. At least, that's my view on it.

Yes, I would expect as much. However, whom had the greater advantage, initially?. Psychology says that unattractive people (in general) are given a shorter leash to work with, so to speak. I'll try to stay out of this thread though, I don't think my idea of advice is very welcome.

Yes, I would expect as much. However, whom had the greater advantage, initially?. Psychology says that unattractive people (in general) are given a shorter leash to work with, so to speak. I'll try to stay out of this thread though, I don't think my idea of advice is very welcome.

No, I think you're right. It would be naive to think that personality overcomes all, but I just think that the initial attraction is just that.

It's all about the pheromones anyways!

No, I think you're right. It would be naive to think that personality overcomes all, but I just think that the initial attraction is just that.

What is a pheromone?

What is a pheromone?

pher·o·mone

   /ˈfɛrəˌmoʊn/ Show Spelled[fer-uh-mohn]

noun Animal Behavior .

any chemical substance released by an animal that serves to influence the physiology or behavior of other members of the same species.

It's a scent specific to the individual that lets mates know immune system compatability etc.

Totally un-related to acne and it's affect on appearance smile.png

Hm. Of course, finding a person physically attractive is important AT FIRST. But, really...having compatible personalities is the most important thing.

But! Let's remember that physical attraction is highly subjective. Anyone can be incredibly beautiful/handsome in the right person's eyes. :) And honestly, personality that is conveyed and perceived is more than half of what causes that attraction. A "gorgeous" guy can be totally ugly if his personality is. It's true.

So, there's no real reason to be arguing about whether physical attraction matters more than personality. They're both important and they're both highly varied depending on the person. So, let's keep the love alive and remember that someone out there thinks you're ABSOLUTELY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON ON THE PLANET. I promise. :)

I've been with my girlfriend for over 2 1/2 years (since our senior year of high school). However, we ended up doing long distance for a year because I went to school in Northern Cali and she stayed in Southern Cali. When my break out occured, we were close to the 1 year mark, and I was so devastated by the change in my appearance that I would act like a total tool and be a bad boyfriend. I would do these things not because I didn't care about her or loved her, but because I didn't feel good enough for her anymore. She's so pretty and lovely, that I didn't want her to end up with a monster like me. :/ I ended up leaving school and my scholarships behind after my first year because the acne was just TOO bad, and I had serious concerns about my physical and especially mental health (I was losing it). Since my girl friend and I were long distance, and after a while I refused to Skype with her (imagine that! and she still stayed with me), she hadn't seen how bad my skin was. I saw her a few days after arriving back home and she kissed me and hugged me like I had never changed. Even though I was covered in cysts and the ugliest looking acne I had personally ever seen, she still loved me unconditionally. Not long after I came back my face started clearing up. Within a couple months back at home, all of my major acne was gone. Now, a year after my return back home, I am completely acne free. She touches my face and wants to cry sometimes because of how handsome I've become. I was depressed for 6 months at one time, and now I'm the happiest guy in the world. If it wasn't for my girlfriend, I don't even know if I'd be alive to post this (sad to admit, but it actually had that effect on me..) Her love and support was the only thing that gave me hope and is what I believe helped clear my face up (with the help of DKR, of course lol). if you have a serious acne problem, and have someone like my girlfriend in your life, cherish them and let them know that their support means the world to you. Also, if you know anyone with a serious acne problem, lend them support. Show them that it isn't the end of the world. Tell them you love them no matter what.That's what my girl friend did, and I will always love her for it. Thanks for reading my story and I hope it helps some of you out. :)

I'm posting this link to my gallery in case any of you want to see exactly what I went through and how much I have changed over the course of 15 months. I hope my story gives people hope and reminds them that their loved ones love them for who they are, not how good looking they are or how many pimples they have or don't have on your face.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/gallery/album/11993-the-regimen/