Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone,

I'm 21 and all my life I've had relatively clear skin, only a few pimples now and then. All of a sudden in February, my skin broke out pretty badly and its been bad ever since. I tend to get most of them in clusters on my cheeks - big red bumps and whiteheads mostly. I also started getting some on my forehead and a few on my chin, which was weird cos I'd never got pimples there before!

Its really been bringing me down, and I've tried everything - aspirin mask, tea tree oil, rooibos tea, clay masks, new skincare regimens.

I just wanted some advice as to what I could do next, or if anyone could suggest any triggers for it? It really appeared out of the blue and I don't know if it'll get better or if its worth seeing a doctor.

Thanks! :D

Even I didnt breakout until 21. I mean I did get the initial 1 or 2 breakouts before 21, but they were just very small in size and occasional, usually around my periods. Then when I finished my college, and turned 21, I started getting more pimples..But then, I started looking for solutions and all, which aggrevated them more. Are you on any kind of stress or something?? Or did you change your cleansing method recently??

I am experiencing the same thing. I had very mild acne when I was a teenager- usually just a pimple or two on my nose. The rest of my face was clear. I also had very mild acne on my back.

By the time I was 18, I stopped getting the breakouts on my nose and back. I wasn't using any kind of acne treatment at the time. I told myself that having acne and pimples was a phase that every teenager went through so I just let it run its course. The breakouts seemed to stop on their own eventually.

In my early 20s I started getting the occasional breakout on my forehead. This is when it really started to bother me. I couldn't believe I was still suffering from acne at that age, so I started using acne cleansers, scrubs, etc. Now I'm 24 and I have moderate acne on my forehead, cheeks and chin on most days. The breakouts on my nose and back never returned. It boggles my mind that I am getting breakouts where I never had them before. And I still don't understand why my nose and back cleared up on their own and are still acne-free to this day. I don't think my lifestyle is any different from when I was a teenager, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Lately, my forehead seems to have significantly improved. I don't why. I have been using acne cleansers for years and now all of sudden, my forehead is virtually pimple-free.

I bought a bottle of the 2.5% BP from this site and I'm going to give the regimen a chance to clear the acne on my cheeks and chin. I've had success before using a BP face wash from Neutrogena. I'm curious to see how Dan's BP works out because it is a gel you leave on your face instead of washing it off immediately. Who knows? It might work.

If i were you guys i would try cutting out a few different foods. You could start by cutting out all dairy and soy and see where that gets you. Sugar is also a very big culprit. I've cut these out of my diet and noticed a huge change. Even if you've ingested these things before and not broken out, your body changes. I've switched to only letting water run over my face in the shower, and keeping them very short in order to avoid dry skin. Fish or cod liver oil is great to ingest as well, unless your allergic. I like cod liver oil just cause it has the natural vitamin A and D. But yeah, diet can be the difference between having clear skin or having acne with alot of acne sufferers

I'm the same, I've started getting it in places I never used to, like chin and forehead! I've changed to a simpler routine or just facial wash, tea tree oil and moisturiser. If this doesn't work, I'm considering starting Dan's regimen...but I'm not a fan as BP obviously makes me REALLY red and flaky and i don't want to look like that at work lol.

I don't eat dairy foods at all really which is weird, so I don't know what could have triggered it. I' under no more stress than usual, and I hadn't changed my skincare routine at the time.

I'm still considering going to the GP, but I'm unsure of using antibiotics or birth control :S

The exact same thing happened to me at the exact same age.

And let me tell you, the acne after 21 that i faced was the most horrifying, because when you are below 21, people think it may be hormonal change, but when you are above 21 and you get acne, people look at us so differently, which clearly sucks!

Go to the dermatologist!

I really really want to - problem in the UK is, unless your acne is extremely severe, the waiting list to be referred to a dermatologist is very very long (I heard this from a couple of friends). My friend is still on it, after waiting a year :S

The only way to see one immediately is if I go private, which I can't afford! So the only doctor I can see is a GP..but I know he'll just prescribe me antibiotics. I'm a bit doubtful of antibiotics, because I know that once you stop, the acne comes back - is there anyone this hasn't happened to?

Kris2011: its so true! When I was a teen and got the odd pimple, I really didn't care cos most people had it and people put it down to puberty and being a teenager. But now, everyone around me has beautiful skin, and I'm always wondering if they're looking at me thinking 'oh she doesn't wash her face' - I HATE it when family members say that lol!

Even I didnt breakout until 21. I mean I did get the initial 1 or 2 breakouts before 21, but they were just very small in size and occasional, usually around my periods. Then when I finished my college, and turned 21, I started getting more pimples..But then, I started looking for solutions and all, which aggrevated them more. Are you on any kind of stress or something?? Or did you change your cleansing method recently??

I forgot to say, sorry you're going through a similar thing as me. I hope the regimen works well for you!

If it does, let me know how it goes - I was considering starting it, but I'm gonna wait and see how my more simple skincare routine works out first :)

I am experiencing the same thing. I had very mild acne when I was a teenager- usually just a pimple or two on my nose. The rest of my face was clear. I also had very mild acne on my back.

By the time I was 18, I stopped getting the breakouts on my nose and back. I wasn't using any kind of acne treatment at the time. I told myself that having acne and pimples was a phase that every teenager went through so I just let it run its course. The breakouts seemed to stop on their own eventually.

In my early 20s I started getting the occasional breakout on my forehead. This is when it really started to bother me. I couldn't believe I was still suffering from acne at that age, so I started using acne cleansers, scrubs, etc. Now I'm 24 and I have moderate acne on my forehead, cheeks and chin on most days. The breakouts on my nose and back never returned. It boggles my mind that I am getting breakouts where I never had them before. And I still don't understand why my nose and back cleared up on their own and are still acne-free to this day. I don't think my lifestyle is any different from when I was a teenager, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Lately, my forehead seems to have significantly improved. I don't why. I have been using acne cleansers for years and now all of sudden, my forehead is virtually pimple-free.

I bought a bottle of the 2.5% BP from this site and I'm going to give the regimen a chance to clear the acne on my cheeks and chin. I've had success before using a BP face wash from Neutrogena. I'm curious to see how Dan's BP works out because it is a gel you leave on your face instead of washing it off immediately. Who knows? It might work.

Lol previous post was meant to be a reply to you!

Ummm yeah... Same thing for me too!

I'm a 20 year old male and the same thing is happening..

I had mild to moderate acne at times during the my teen years which I thought was normal and figured I would grow out of it. I just thought I had it a little worse than those who had just a few pimples in highschool.

I've tried almost everything from oral antibiotics to creams and topicals and even took the risk to order products such as Proactiv and Skin Id. None worked so at 17 my dermatologist put me on accutane (Claravis). I stopped after 2 months because I saw improvements and no longer wanted the side effects of having dry and cracked lips and dry highs. I was acne free for a few months then it came back worse than ever!!

A year later my dermatologist put me back on the generic accutane Claravis and this time I was only able to complete 3 months out of the 5. I wanted to finish my cycle this time but the timing was bad. I moved to Canada to play Hockey right after graduating High School and therefore I wasn't able to get my prescriptions.

I saw the best improvement this time, I had no acne or oily skin for about 5 months and then it slowly came back again!!! I haven't tried much since, except for some oral antibiotics. I'm 20 now and I'm asking myself, Will my acne ever go away?!!

Anybody that has any remedies or advice or just anything to help, PLEASE DOOOO!!!!!

It's wierd because I only have acne on my face and no where else. Only way to describe my face is, OILY, which I think is a major factor. I am very healthy, I eat healthy, exercise and workout daily, I drink plenty of water, very hygienic.... I do not know what to do. I am thinking about taking accutane (Claravis) again and this time I will make sure I finish the 5 month cycle, but I do not want to take it "again".

Ummm yeah... Same thing for me too!

I'm a 20 year old male and the same thing is happening..

I had mild to moderate acne at times during the my teen years which I thought was normal and figured I would grow out of it. I just thought I had it a little worse than those who had just a few pimples in highschool.

I've tried almost everything from oral antibiotics to creams and topicals and even took the risk to order products such as Proactiv and Skin Id. None worked so at 17 my dermatologist put me on accutane (Claravis). I stopped after 2 months because I saw improvements and no longer wanted the side effects of having dry and cracked lips and dry highs. I was acne free for a few months then it came back worse than ever!!

A year later my dermatologist put me back on the generic accutane Claravis and this time I was only able to complete 3 months out of the 5. I wanted to finish my cycle this time but the timing was bad. I moved to Canada to play Hockey right after graduating High School and therefore I wasn't able to get my prescriptions.

I saw the best improvement this time, I had no acne or oily skin for about 5 months and then it slowly came back again!!! I haven't tried much since, except for some oral antibiotics. I'm 20 now and I'm asking myself, Will my acne ever go away?!!

Anybody that has any remedies or advice or just anything to help, PLEASE DOOOO!!!!!

It's wierd because I only have acne on my face and no where else. Only way to describe my face is, OILY, which I think is a major factor. I am very healthy, I eat healthy, exercise and workout daily, I drink plenty of water, very hygienic.... I do not know what to do. I am thinking about taking accutane (Claravis) again and this time I will make sure I finish the 5 month cycle, but I do not want to take it "again".

Its annoying when you take care of your body and have a good lifestyle and stuff like this still happens :( I don't think I'll ever take Accutane - not sure its even available in the UK cos of the problems associated with Isotretinoin. Maybe you could try more topical stuff like BP or BHA?

For some reason I'm clearing up a bit at the moment - but sometimes this happens and then it all comes back in one go lol. But I have a feeling its to do with the new routine I'm using, plus I've stopped trying random products on my face. Sometimes just leaving your face alone helps.

My skin isn't oily like yours, which is the weird thing - I have naturally dry skin and eczema!

I don't know if my routine will help you, but what I've been doing is:

Morning - Cleanse with Nelsons Pure and Clear wash (I think this is what's helping)

- Apply Body Shop Tea Tree Oil to active blemishes

- (Estee Lauder serum for uneven skintone - you could try Vitamin C e.g. DHC Acerola

- Tropic Skin Revive moisturiser

Evening - Cleanse with Nelsons again

- Apply TTO again

- Apply serum again

- Moisturise with Body Shop Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream

I have been trying so many other routines, but this seems to be working nicely at the moment :)

I had acne in my teens, but just recently I got a major breakout at 23 years old. Your body may be done with puberty, but that does not mean that your body has stopped changing. Your body can only withstand so much of a certain irritant until it reacts badly. The best thing you can do for acne is change your diet: dairy, gluten and sugar will certainly aggravate acne if you are prone to it. Companies who sell acne products want you to believe diet has nothing to do with acne so you will use more products, and doctors will tell you diet has nothing to do with acne because there is not enough evidence to prove it does or doesn`t. I suffered from large cycts and nodules and many small papules and whiteheads. I cut out dairy and gluten and a month later I only have two small whiteheads not visible unless I strech my skin which are left from my last breakout. If you do some research on the Paleo Diet, you will understand that humans are not built to eat dairy and gluten. According to Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution, archeologists have found from ancient remains that early humans, who ate a diet of meat and seasonal fruits and vegetables, suffered from very few diseases, and almost never had acne. You may not believe it, but try it for yourself. You have nothing to lose except your love of foods high in dairy and gluten.

I had acne in my teens, but just recently I got a major breakout at 23 years old. Your body may be done with puberty, but that does not mean that your body has stopped changing. Your body can only withstand so much of a certain irritant until it reacts badly. The best thing you can do for acne is change your diet: dairy, gluten and sugar will certainly aggravate acne if you are prone to it. Companies who sell acne products want you to believe diet has nothing to do with acne so you will use more products, and doctors will tell you diet has nothing to do with acne because there is not enough evidence to prove it does or doesn`t. I suffered from large cycts and nodules and many small papules and whiteheads. I cut out dairy and gluten and a month later I only have two small whiteheads not visible unless I strech my skin which are left from my last breakout. If you do some research on the Paleo Diet, you will understand that humans are not built to eat dairy and gluten. According to Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution, archeologists have found from ancient remains that early humans, who ate a diet of meat and seasonal fruits and vegetables, suffered from very few diseases, and almost never had acne. You may not believe it, but try it for yourself. You have nothing to lose except your love of foods high in dairy and gluten.

I considered the dairy thing, but I don't have any dairy in my diet really :S And I don't have a sweet tooth, so I never eat chocolate or sweets or anything.

It could be gluten...but I don't see why that would trigger things now!