Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenEyes33

Camping cleared my skin

I went camping for 4 days over the weekend. When I left I had 3 small spots, and 2 that were on their way out (and were taking weeks to heal)

It was sunny for the first weekend this year here (yay) and I spent lots of time in the sun. Before now, we've literally had 2 days of sun and those were weekdays (I have a cubicle job :( )My face didn't really tan, since I threw on a hat before it did, but my acne completely cleared up. Like, my PIH looked way better, the inflamed old spots were flat, my new spots were dried up.... it looked amazing.

This is the first time my poor skin has seen natural sunlight since last September, and although I did have really good success with diet and D3 supplementation, nothing worked as well as this. I also splashed my face with some ocean water near the end of the trip, but my skin was clearing before that point.

As a side note, I also continued following my diet...probably less veggies than I should have eaten, but mostly eggs, meat, fruit, and nuts. And clams, that we dug ourselves. Oh and some red wine ;) I also walked...a lot. Probably spent 2 hours a day walking on the beach or hiking. Normally I walk about 45 minutes a day and eat more veggies and less meat. I also slept pretty similar to the times that I normally do.

So my question becomes, is natural sunlight better absorbed or better for acne somehow than D3 supplements? Is using a tanning booth rarely, as in 5 minutes twice a month, better for me than relying on the supplements? Or was something else at work here?

I've been nervous to use a tanning bed as I have pale Irish skin, and a history of skin cancer in the family, but as it is right now I'm white as a ghost until July and then the first day of sun I always end up burning. The burning I imagine would be worse for my skin than going tanning regularly but rarely and never burning...or am I way off base here?

Thank you to anyone who listened to my ramble and can offer me a perspective on this!

The sun is far superior to D3 supplements. The sun is probably my favorite thing in the world, since april I've been outside everyday, I'm very tan. My skin looks way better then in the winter. The sun can heal so many things, and when I used to take D3 over the winter I thought it never even did anything. Thank god at the end of the summer I'm moving!! Looking to go Arizona or somewhere around there, I see you live in Canada..ouch haha. I hate, hate hate hate hate the cold. If I could I'd live in Hawaii. 80 year around. Damn lol.

The sun is far superior to D3 supplements. The sun is probably my favorite thing in the world

Word.

You're not the first to mention that camping resulted in clear skin. It happened to me too! I've been getting lots of sunlight, be it directly or in the shade, and it certainly radiates in all the best ways through my skin.

Not to mention being outside 24/7. Which in my experience is a huge factor, it's why for me I try being outside as much as possible. Greeneyes you say you have a cubicle desk job, you problably spent 22-23 hours a day indoors correct? Think about that, your not alone, the majority of people don't even spend 10 minutes outside, always indoors. We ARE animals, we should be outside more then half the day. We are not designed to be stuck indoors with crappy air pollution and toxins everywhere.

Growing up my family went camping ALL the time. When school was out, we'd pack everything up and literally be on the road the entire summer, it was awesome. We had other families who went with us too. But as a teen, I'd get acne through the school year, then once I started camping, bam, a week in I would have clear skin for the summer. Another reason why I can't wait to move somewhere warm. I want to build a screen type room to sleep in, I love sleeping outside, nothing like the great outdoor fresh air and sounds of nature to fall asleep too.

So glad others have experienced this! I've seen people on here say that you only think the sun clears you because you get a tan, but really, my face isn't even tanned...it's just clear!

Yes I spend 9 hours a day inside, and when I DO get outside it's not until 6 pm. Not only do I live in Canada but I live in Nova Scotia which is pretty much the fog and rain capitol of the world. Most weekends aren't even sunny :(

Have either of you thought about using a tanning bed on a regular (but not often or for a long time) basis through the winter? I'm giving it serious thought. I mean, the D3 took me from 70-90% clear (the initial 70 percent was diet alone) but spending time in the sun I am literally 100% right now.

I dont think were designed to be indoors all the time, I just FEEL a million times better outside. I love sleeping outside too! Camping is amazing. 3 more weeks and we're going again. :dance: We went last month but unfortunately it rained the whole time, got down to 0 degrees celcius overnight, and we were on the side of a mountain. No sun!

I am really nervous about ageing but had good results with sun beds before. Going on enough to have an effect on our acne would result in us all looking like a piece of jerky.

I need to quit my job and play outside all day!

I'm glad your skin has cleared :)

I was thinking about buying a D3 supplement in a few days when the hot weather stops, but I'm not sure.

Edited by James Small

I am really nervous about ageing but had good results with sun beds before. Going on enough to have an effect on our acne would result in us all looking like a piece of jerky.

I need to quit my job and play outside all day!

I broke out a lot less with the sun beds before as well. But Im so vain and dont want to wrinkle! I need a time machine so I can try out two different scenerios: 1) tanning in a bed regularly, but not often or for long, and then not burning in the summer sun. And 2) not tanning in a tanning bd, and getting that first sunny day of summer burn every year. Which makes me look less jerky like?

I also just read online though that most tanning beds only have UVA rays, and it's the B rays that have the vitamin d. Gah! Why cant I just live somewhere warm and sunny?!

I'm glad your skin has cleared :)

I was thinking about buying a D3 supplement in a few days when the hot weather stops, but I'm not sure.

It works for me! Not perfectly, but it does. I live at 45 degree latitude though, and apparently anything above 42 degrees is when you basically get no vitamin d from the sun in winter. And winter here is 9 months long haha. Yuck!

..I thought I had it bad. I live in Buffalo NY. Here anywhere from October-April is terrible. In the summer is beautiful, but that is pretty much only June, July, August. Even May and September are sketchy. So I can definitely relate to ya. My mom has always told me I have been living in the wrong climate my whole life. Ever since I was a kid all I loved was being in the sun, and the winter makes me depressed. During the summer I can't believe when I hear "OMG it's way too hot out!!" I laugh and tell them "if I had it my way, it would be 90 all year around.

When I went to vegas, it was 100 out constantly. Me and my cousin peter are so much alike, and we thought it was perfect outside. I just love being athletic and constantly doing something active in the hot sun, it's in my DNA.

But yeah the sun changes my skin texture 100%. Makes it more tough, less oily, gives it a great complexion and tone, not so damn SENSITIVE all the time!! I'm 75% Irish 25% Italian, I seen you said your irish too, so yeah I know what ya mean, us Irish have super duper sensitive skin. Thank god I have italian in me, gives me some skin toughness, and allows me to tan, I'm not one of those irish people who never tan no matter how much sun they get.

As for tanning beds, I honestly did think about it, but apart from being a guy, I could never step into one of those places just because of morals lol. I'd rather find any other way then go to a tanning bed, the long term side effects just aren't worth it as well.

It's not just sun exposure and D, it's the natural circadian cycle that helps. Lots of bright outdoor light which is way brighter than your office or home light, even when you sit in the shade or on overcast days. And it's the lack of artificial light at night.

These improve your seratonin/melatonin levels and cycle for better sleep and all the processes that go on when you sleep. All kinds of things are also timed by the circadian cycle, including hormone production and release.

Edited by alternativista

..I thought I had it bad. I live in Buffalo NY. Here anywhere from October-April is terrible. In the summer is beautiful, but that is pretty much only June, July, August. Even May and September are sketchy. So I can definitely relate to ya. My mom has always told me I have been living in the wrong climate my whole life. Ever since I was a kid all I loved was being in the sun, and the winter makes me depressed. During the summer I can't believe when I hear "OMG it's way too hot out!!" I laugh and tell them "if I had it my way, it would be 90 all year around.

When I went to vegas, it was 100 out constantly. Me and my cousin peter are so much alike, and we thought it was perfect outside. I just love being athletic and constantly doing something active in the hot sun, it's in my DNA.

But yeah the sun changes my skin texture 100%. Makes it more tough, less oily, gives it a great complexion and tone, not so damn SENSITIVE all the time!! I'm 75% Irish 25% Italian, I seen you said your irish too, so yeah I know what ya mean, us Irish have super duper sensitive skin. Thank god I have italian in me, gives me some skin toughness, and allows me to tan, I'm not one of those irish people who never tan no matter how much sun they get.

As for tanning beds, I honestly did think about it, but apart from being a guy, I could never step into one of those places just because of morals lol. I'd rather find any other way then go to a tanning bed, the long term side effects just aren't worth it as well.

We are the same person then! :lol: I just love the heat, and it's horrid here so often! Im 95% Irish and 5% Welsh. I really hit the skin jackpot with that mix. I would love some nice Italian or Greek blood in me. My husband is 90% Scottish and 10% English so even our children will have no hope. I do tan, but for me a tan is everyone else's 'normal', but I also freckle quite a bit. Though the freckles are starting to connect on my arms so yay for a perma tan! :D

I kind of agree with you on the tan beds. I used to use them regularly as a teen, but swore off them two years ago and haven't gone back since. They're definitely addicting. I think I just need to find a way to be outside as much as possible and settle for the pill form of sun.

It's not just sun exposure, it's the natural circadian cycle that helps. Lots of bright outdoor light which is way brighter than your office or home light, even when you sit in the shade or on overcast days. And it's the lack of artificial light at night.

These improve your seratonin/melatonin levels and cycle for better sleep and all the processes that go on when you sleep. All kinds of things are also timed by the circadian cycle, including hormone production and release.

Yes, absolutely! My sleep has gotten much better since I started trying to improve my circadian cycle. I blocked out most of the light in my bedroom at night (I used to regularly sleep with the light on), and I stopped wearing my sunglasses on my drive into work. I also try and open the curtains as soon as I wake up. I find I'm having an easier time waking up at 6:30 (but I think 7-7:30 is when my body LIKES to wake up) and going to bed around 11. I try and get out now for at least 10 minutes of sunlight (sans sunglasses) around 11 am as well.

When camping though I was exhausted by 10:00 and slept well til 7:30. It was great! I found being under the green foliage with the sun shining through really helped relax me, which happened every night at 8-9 pm. Funny how we mess with nature so much, when it can really help a lot.

My friend gets spray tans which she says makes her spots less noticable which thus discourages her from picking...

Personally, fake tan makes me break out AND I am starting to prefer the pale and interesting look :)

Lets say no to jerky faces! I'd rather suffer acne than have premature wrinkles!

PS I am surprised about the UVA/UVB thing with sunbeds, how come people (including me) report success with sunbeds if they don't give UVB? confused.com

is sunlight superior? probably, because there may be more benefits to sun expose then we currently understand besides the production of vitamin d.

another alternate explanation or contributing factor is the a reduction in stress enhanced melatonin production, as stress hormones can counteract and supress melatonin production, which highly benefits the skin and pretty much every cell in your body, its a powerful antioxidant.