Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madcow

can retin a cream help prevent new scars from forming?

I have some indented scars on my cheeks, which I know will now be difficult to get rid of. However I also have some new red marks which will likely form into indented scars. Is it likely that retin a cream can stop these indented scars from forming in the first place? The problem is that my Dr says to wait a few months to see if they go away, but I am afraid that if I wait a few months it might be too late and the red marks will have already formed into indented scars (this is what has already happened in a few places, but I don't want more), so can retin A actually prevent scars from forming, if you start using it early enough

nope, probably better not to apply retin a until it is fully healed for the same reason that people using retinoids should not undergo abrasive procedures

Edited by Brawn

Since you have indentions, I don't know if RAM is going to be able to help you. For scars like I have (surface scars on my cheeks, no indention and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation; redness), it helps. My scars have REALLY been improving as of late thanks to RAM (I've been using it for 16 + weeks so it's about time my scars start improving). But, if you wish to still go the RAM route, get the highest dousage possible (0.1 %).

Edited by Kody_R_F

Since you have indentions, I don't know if RAM is going to be able to help you. For scars like I have (surface scars on my cheeks, no indention and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation; redness), it helps. My scars have REALLY been improving as of late thanks to RAM (I've been using it for 16 + weeks so it's about time my scars start improving). But, if you wish to still go the RAM route, get the highest dousage possible (0.1 %).

whether using the highest dose will produce better results is debatable. There is a study that shows that 0.05 tretinoin produces the same results as 0.1 but with less irritation.