Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
millefeuille

Something interesting about oils and skin sebum!

I'm creating some of my skincare products with natural ingredients because I believe natural is cleaner and you can relief many many skin problems only with natural ingredients. Now, I'm looking forward to create all my skin and hair care stuff. But before to make some new thing, I do further research about the ingredients I want to use, and looking around, I've found this that can be as useful as interesting:

Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that the sebaceous glands use as a normal component of sebum. Essential fatty acids are required by the body and most people are more familiar with linoleic as omega 6 oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil, evening primrose oil, or a number of other terms. Essential fatty acids are very powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Subsequently, sebum made with linoleic acid is actually calming to the skin and follicles.

Modern foods have avoided essential fatty acids in favor of "designer" lipids like trans-fatty acids and research has found links suggesting that trans-fats may break down the body's supply of beneficial essential fatty acids. When linoleic acid is not available in the skin, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid and this form of sebum is irritating to the skin. It promotes blockage that causes blackheads, whiteheads and acne. Some scientists have suggested that sebum produced with oleic acid is drier, firmer and therefore it promotes blockage within the follicles, such as blackheads and whiteheads.

Due to low consumption of essential fatty acids or high consumption of trans-fats or hereditary factors that frequently involve digestive enzyme issues, some people have systemic deficiency of essential fatty acids and linoleic acid. This condition becomes a driving factor in acne and other skin problems.

Happens that the sebum of people with oily to very oily skin types is high in oleic acid, and as noted above, this can be a problem.

Why oils are necessary? When treating acne, usually people layer many drying and irritating products and moisturizing is needed. Instead of choosing any regular moisturizer, would be a better choice an oil high in linoleic acid to avoid overdrying and to balance skin sebum. Oils are also healthier and cheaper than any other moisturizer and feed the skin with very needed essential nutrients and antioxidants. Also, the oils high in linoleic acid are often the so called "dry oils", which are known to be very light, fast-absorbing and non-comedogenic.

Why jojoba oil is not the answer? I've read in somewhere here and in some other places too, that jojoba oil is the best to use as a moisturizer for oily and acneic skin types because it's the most "similar to sebum". But looking closer at its fatty acid composition, this oil contains almost a 5.0% of linoleic acid and a 11.2% of oleic acid. This is why I've also read in several places that many people had problems with jojoba oil and some other prefer not to use it in their oily skins.

Oils with the right balance of oleic/linoleic acids:

- Hemp Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 10.71%, Linoleic Acid - 56.48%. This is definitely my favorite oil. It's incredibly softening and moisturizing and I never had any problem with it. Contains some other essential fatty acids but it's especially rich in linoleic acid.

- Evening Primrose Oil: Oleic Acid - 7.0%, Linoleic Acid - 74.2%. Very good for people with very oily and clogging-prone skin types.

- Wheat Germ Oil: Oleic Acid - 12.1%, Linoleic Acid - 58.4%. Not suitable for people with gluten allergies.

- Pomegranate Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 6.2%, Linoleic Acid - 7.1%. This is the second of my favorite oils, while the fatty acids balance is more suitable for a person with combination/oily skin type, this particular oil is really high in Punicic Acid, which is mostly found in pomegranates. Punicic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid or omega-5 fatty acid which is highly antioxidant and skin regenerating and used during the day can control UVA and UVB damage. I love to mix it with hemp oil for use as a day moisturizer.

- Borage Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 17.9%, Linoleic Acid - 38.8%

Remember that the secret is choosing the right oils with the right balance of fatty acids. Avoiding oils or using constantly oil-free products can cause you problems like an imbalance on skin sebum and also, depriving the skin of so needed essential nutrients. Some of these oils can be used on foods to balance the skin sebum from inside, they're also, very good on treating cholesterol problems.

Hope this helps.

Sources:

Skintactix: Acne & Essential Fatty Acids

Mountain Rose Herbs: Carrier Oils

Future Derm: Spotlight On: Pomegranate

Edited by millefeuille

natural isnt always better there are plenty synthetic ingredient that are safe on skin and plenty of irritating natural oils.

Yeah, that's a common thought, but I believe it's just ridiculous. Most of the times, I've read in several places that natural isn't always better and they place as an example poison ivy. Something funny because poison ivy is never an ingredient in natural skincare products, would be smarter to use as an example some ingredient that it's very common in natural skincare. On the other hand, there is formaldehyde, which is obviously known as a carcinogen, and besides what people say, everything you put on your skin is absorbed and goes to your bloodstream, so you can accumulate an interesting amount of formaldehyde through the years. And guess what? they do use formaldehyde and if not formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing ingredients. The point is, natural skincare doesn't use poison ivy, but the guys at the regular skincare do use formaldehyde in their stuff. Oh, but everything is fine and their stuff is better than natural stuff. Do you see my point?

All this reminds me to the movie Erin Brockovich.

Besides, the skin healers are always natural. I believe all that of "natural isn't always better" it's just a marketing strategy. Everthying was fine, and they were the big boys at the cosmetic industry, until natural cosmetic appeared, you know...

Edited by millefeuille

There are actually a lot of natural ingredients that are used in skincare products that are more likely to cause issues on the skin than there are man-made ones that do the same. The reason is because there is a much higher chance of those naturally-found ingredients posing a sort of allergic reaction to the skin, irritation and such. There are actually a number of oils that are not recommended for skincare use if the skin is sensitive. An example of a common ingredient: sea ingredients. Ingredients from the sea are far more likely to be irritating and comedogenic than a lot of other ingredients. Such examples would be certain clays, algae (especially red apparently), and seaweed. Even sea water can potentially be problematic. Another example for oils would be nut oils, primarily walnut and hazelnut. These are both oils I've read are not advised for use if the skin is sensitive, especially around the eye area. I mean, could you use another example that isn't formaldehyde? That's generally not a commonly-found ingredient in skincare products, although found in nail polishes.

Basically, you cannot say that all-natural ingredients are completely better/safer than all man-made, cosmetically tested ingredients, and vice versa. It depends on the individual's skin. I personally handle man-made ingredients better than natural ones. So yes, natural is NOT always better. Did you know that there are actually a lot of companies that just recently got fined for labeling their products as organic and natural when they weren't? Two examples are Kiss My Face and JASON's.

So basically, your argument is just as biased as someone who would 100% argue against natural ingredients. Your views are too biased for me to really take them in without feeling like you are attacking me/others.

I'm not attacking you/others, when I made this post, these two first responses were inmediately against it, so you can't tell me this when you and the other response started this.

Talking about irritation, you can look closer at the same AHAs, Retinols and acne drugs. I've read a lot here about people talking how acne drugs dried and ruined their skin, how AHAs and retinols made their skin red, thinner, itchy, how Benzoyl Peroxide burned their faces and even they ended with darker skin. Even, Benzoyl Peroxide is a problematic stuff for who cares about the skin because is known that causes free-radical damage and free-radicals are one of the causes of skin cancer.

I've never said natural is better/safer, I've said to me is cleaner and initially I was talking about the skin sebum, I've said I make my own skincare, but that's a personal stuff, nor you or other person need to tell me if it's better or not. My post was an advice and if you don't want you don't have to take it seriously, I don't really care.

Another thing I believe, is why man would do something better than nature when after all, we are the ones who are messing up the planet, all that is happening is because of us. And why a cleaner diet free from synthetic or processed foods (just like some ingredients in skincare) is better when our skin is just an organ as the ones that are inside us.

Finally, I don't care about what other companies do, I don't use their products as I don't use regular products, that's why I do my own skincare, but what I've said it's the truth and if that happens is because they're just taking advantage of the "natural" and "organic" terms as it almost doesn't exist regulations in the cosmetic industry.

Edited by millefeuille

Based on my own experience, I feel its all about what works for our own skin is the best for us. I guess OP is just saying that this has worked for him/her,so he is sharing it with us. And i think its great. Whoever wants to take his suggestion can take it, others can just ignore...

Also, what Ashley is saying is not wrong, not all natural products are safe to use. Some of them really clog the pores, which further destroys the skin..Same is the case with man-made as well, some are good, some are bad.

So basically, its all about finding the right one that works for our own particular type of skin. For ex, urine therapy has shown wonders for some, I mean some of the people I know have got permanently cured skin and natural 10 year old skin by using urine therapy, but for me, it worked for sometime, it worked wonders actually, and then took the negative path, call it purging or whatever. I dont know, but I left it. So basically, what may work for one, may not work for other. Even if you read the posts from the most experienced people, you will realise that water-only worked for some, and gave negative effects for many. So basically whether its water, yogurt, any oil, turmeric, fulers earth, emu oil, BP, pro-active, DKR, BC, Accutane, etc etc, you name it..If it works for one, its not guaranteed it will work for everybody.

So I guess, its all about trial and error..And I appreciate people posting their experiences here on this website..But again, our posts shouldnt be biased enough to misguide people, and should be informative enough to help people who's skin type matches ours. Our posts should also mention our skin types, our old experiences, etc, etc.. Our posts should also not be such as people may think we are trying to sell something...

One more thing I would like to say, the amount of pimples I had before I visited this website were very less compared to what I have now, I am not trying to offense this website, I am sure it has helped many, but what I am trying to say is, people should be more informative rather than, ok "here is the cure to acne", "I cured my acne in 3 weeks", "Finally cured in a month", "natural ingredients are the best", "DKR is the best", "pro-active is the way to acne free", "zinc is the way to acne free skin", I hate these posts now. Because after reading them, I would just start doing that, and end up irritating my skin more, causing more blemishes eventually. It is impossible to cure acne in a month, or even in 2 months. The re-generation cycle of our body is 6 months, so it should take a skin approximately 6 months to show actual results..

I guess everybody should have their own personal log, where they should mention what all they do, what all they have been doing since they started getting acne, they skin type, and be as informative as possible. I appreicate ashley that now she has her own log, which has detailed information like what all she did since a year and all, which is helpful for others now.. And same thing for the OP, even though I appreciate your advice for us, I would advice you to be more informative, less biased and make your posts an advice rather than imposing your ideas on everyone since some of us may get misleaded. Although I am strong now not to use anything on my face except water, there are many others who are still in their initial phases and get biased, so beware...