Something interesti...

Notifications
Clear all

Something interesting about oils and skin sebum!

MemberMember
(@millefeuille)

Posted : 07/03/2011 10:09 pm

I'm creating some of my skincare products with natural ingredients because I believe natural is cleaner and you can relief many many skin problems only with natural ingredients. Now, I'm looking forward to create all my skin and hair care stuff. But before to make some new thing, I do further research about the ingredients I want to use, and looking around, I've found this that can be as useful as interesting:

Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that the sebaceous glands use as a normal component of sebum. Essential fatty acids are required by the body and most people are more familiar with linoleic as omega 6 oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil, evening primrose oil, or a number of other terms. Essential fatty acids are very powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Subsequently, sebum made with linoleic acid is actually calming to the skin and follicles.

Modern foods have avoided essential fatty acids in favor of "designer" lipids like trans-fatty acids and research has found links suggesting that trans-fats may break down the body's supply of beneficial essential fatty acids. When linoleic acid is not available in the skin, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid and this form of sebum is irritating to the skin. It promotes blockage that causes blackheads, whiteheads and acne. Some scientists have suggested that sebum produced with oleic acid is drier, firmer and therefore it promotes blockage within the follicles, such as blackheads and whiteheads.

Due to low consumption of essential fatty acids or high consumption of trans-fats or hereditary factors that frequently involve digestive enzyme issues, some people have systemic deficiency of essential fatty acids and linoleic acid. This condition becomes a driving factor in acne and other skin problems.

Happens that the sebum of people with oily to very oily skin types is high in oleic acid, and as noted above, this can be a problem.

Why oils are necessary? When treating acne, usually people layer many drying and irritating products and moisturizing is needed. Instead of choosing any regular moisturizer, would be a better choice an oil high in linoleic acid to avoid overdrying and to balance skin sebum. Oils are also healthier and cheaper than any other moisturizer and feed the skin with very needed essential nutrients and antioxidants. Also, the oils high in linoleic acid are often the so called "dry oils", which are known to be very light, fast-absorbing and non-comedogenic.

Why jojoba oil is not the answer? I've read in somewhere here and in some other places too, that jojoba oil is the best to use as a moisturizer for oily and acneic skin types because it's the most "similar to sebum". But looking closer at its fatty acid composition, this oil contains almost a 5.0% of linoleic acid and a 11.2% of oleic acid. This is why I've also read in several places that many people had problems with jojoba oil and some other prefer not to use it in their oily skins.

Oils with the right balance of oleic/linoleic acids:

- Hemp Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 10.71%, Linoleic Acid - 56.48%. This is definitely my favorite oil. It's incredibly softening and moisturizing and I never had any problem with it. Contains some other essential fatty acids but it's especially rich in linoleic acid.

- Evening Primrose Oil: Oleic Acid - 7.0%, Linoleic Acid - 74.2%. Very good for people with very oily and clogging-prone skin types.

- Wheat Germ Oil: Oleic Acid - 12.1%, Linoleic Acid - 58.4%. Not suitable for people with gluten allergies.

- Pomegranate Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 6.2%, Linoleic Acid - 7.1%. This is the second of my favorite oils, while the fatty acids balance is more suitable for a person with combination/oily skin type, this particular oil is really high in Punicic Acid, which is mostly found in pomegranates. Punicic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid or omega-5 fatty acid which is highly antioxidant and skin regenerating and used during the day can control UVA and UVB damage. I love to mix it with hemp oil for use as a day moisturizer.

- Borage Seed Oil: Oleic Acid - 17.9%, Linoleic Acid - 38.8%

Remember that the secret is choosing the right oils with the right balance of fatty acids. Avoiding oils or using constantly oil-free products can cause you problems like an imbalance on skin sebum and also, depriving the skin of so needed essential nutrients. Some of these oils can be used on foods to balance the skin sebum from inside, they're also, very good on treating cholesterol problems.

Hope this helps.

Sources:

Skintactix: Acne & Essential Fatty Acids

Mountain Rose Herbs: Carrier Oils

Future Derm: Spotlight On: Pomegranate

kailssparks, Atn, Lekry and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@atn)

Posted : 12/13/2013 3:46 pm

Hemp seed oil is now my favorite!!!

MemberMember
(@kailssparks)

Posted : 02/13/2014 2:28 pm

This is a very interesting article!

I have hereditary/genetically oily skin, my mother, her sisters, my grandmother, and so on have very oily skin and enlarged pores. Do you believe these oils would work for me?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/14/2014 11:56 am

Great article. High linoleic safflower is supposed to be great for the skin too.

MemberMember
(@bobowang)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:06 am

- Evening Primrose Oil: Oleic Acid - 7.0%, Linoleic Acid - 74.2%.

Evening Primrose Oil is the best then? Has anyone tried this kind of oil to control oily skin problem?

MemberMember
(@naundra)

Posted : 03/18/2014 12:54 pm

I've been using Barlean's Evening Primrose Oil for almost 30 days now to control my oily skin and stop my cystic acne breakouts using the oil cleansing method. My oily skin is under control however I still get breakouts. The breakouts are not as severe or as large. My pores are almost invisible and skin is more radiant and smooth.

MemberMember
(@livefreealways)

Posted : 04/03/2014 6:44 pm

where can you buy these oils and how are you supposed to use them?

do you think these oils help with redness? and is there anyway to make the skin naturally start creating more linoleic acid?

MemberMember
(@rantingraging)

Posted : 12/04/2014 11:26 pm

omg i really wished i've seen this before i jumped on the band wagon and bought jojoba oil for my crazy oily skin hoping it'll dissolve clogged pores and help with my acne. it is now exactly 8:24 at night and i JUST did my OCM with half grape seed oil and half JOJOBA oil!!

I've began using jojoba since last week along with my grape seed oil and rose hip seed oil as moisturizer and my skin has been breaking out like crazy. i swear i've never had such bad acne and i tell you i went through i horrible process in my life that i thought was over.. but nowww again and worse.. i just wanna hide away forever