Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fruitloops

Revlon colorstay? thoughts?

I picked this up in ivory for oily/combo skin yesterday. After looking at all the colors they had, I thought I would atleast be buff, but I guess I'm paler than I thought xD.

I'm normally not a foundation gal, I've only tried two others and both were too dark (go figure) and not enough coverage. My acne is pretty under control, so I thought I'd be safe trying this foundation to cover up some of the flat, left over acne marks. But I'd like to know what you guys thought of it? Is the coverage enough to cover up some fading red acne marks, and does it last as long as it says? Also, I'm usually not one to break out from makeup as long as it's washed off well, but I heard this stuff is a pain to wash off so, any advice of how to get this stuff off completely? Thanks all, just want some general opinions on this foundation as I haven't used it yet and want to know what to expect.

Oh, also, I plan on using this tomorrow on a 5-6 hour 4th of july boat party type thing. Probably not getting in the water, but who knows. I guess I'll take before and after photos and post them on here, although this stuff is probably going to melt off anyway.

Edited by Fruitloops

Is ivory really that much lighter than buff? I wear buff at my palest and I'm pretty pale imo - I just thought ivory was more pink while buff was yellow. Could be that it's lighter though! Anyway, I do believe that Colorstay oxidizes, meaning it gets darker as it sits on your skin so this may be yet another foundation that ends up being too dark.

Personally, I love Colorstay. Sure, there are probably better foundations out there but for its price, staying power and coverage I think it's great. I think if your red marks aren't fresh ones, when they're at their darkest, Colorstay should be able to cover them. Something that works great for me is dabbing it on areas that need more coverage with a slightly moist sponge. To be more detailed, I use rosewater (tap is fine) in a spray bottle and use two spritzes on the sponge and foundation. I wipe it on and then go over it and dab, then, move on to another area of your face. Once you're done covering your face, go back to the first area you worked on (say it was your left cheek) and dab the sponge, without adding more foundation, over the red marks. This works for me. Try to keep the foundation light, the more you use unnecessarily, the cakier it will look.

If I use it lightly with a coating of powder (I use mineral foundation for this, Meow Cosmetics to be exact!) it lasts me practically all day. I have oily skin so I do have to blot off the oil about half way through but it still looks great.

The one downside is that, yes, it's hard to remove. I use olive oil, any oil of your preference should work fine. It removes all makeup very well. I follow that with a cleanser but that's optional I guess.

I have mostly just red marks at the moment so what I do is mix it with moisturizer and massage it onto my face and use powder over it. The coverage is a little lighter but it's still pretty effective, especially for general redness. It also makes application easier cause Colorstay dries quickly, so it requires a fast hand. That's why I spray water onto it when I use it straight.

Good luck with it =]

Edited by NessaVéneanár

Yeah, it'll provide enough coverage. I like using my mac foundation brush with that one. The one thing I hate about colorstay though, is that it feels a too heavy on my face. Maybe that other chick's sponge application method would be more suitable for it if you're gonna be wearing it during a hot day outside.

name='NessaVéneanár' date='Jul 3 2011, 07:36 PM' post='3114750']

Is ivory really that much lighter than buff? I wear buff at my palest and I'm pretty pale imo - I just thought ivory was more pink while buff was yellow. Could be that it's lighter though! Anyway, I do believe that Colorstay oxidizes, meaning it gets darker as it sits on your skin so this may be yet another foundation that ends up being too dark.

You're right. It isn't that much lighter, just pinker.

Edited by Vampireninja09

That's interesting, that it's the same shade, lightness wise. It just looked so off in the bottle that I assumed it was too dark for me. Ivory is actually a touch too light for me, and maybe too pink? But it oxidizes in an hour or two and fits my skintone close enough. Still deciding if I'm going to return it and try to find a better skintone match.

I didn't have a chance to take pictures, but I applied it with my fingers then buffed it in with a sponge. Liked the finish, looked great from a distance of a few feet but up close it was fairly noticable and -almost- cakey. But, I might have put on too much, so idk. 5 hours later it was kinda melting off, but it still covered everything and it looked pretty good from a distance. It settled into the laugh lines around my mouth quite a bit, but I guess I could avoid putting foundation there.

I have yet to find out if this could be affecting my break outs. I'm going through the normal "time of the month" breakout, so if a new zit pops up I'm not going to be blaming this foundation. Also, this stuff wasn't as difficult to take off as I expected. Granted, I was sweating and what-not for a few hours, so that might have helped.

So overall, I'm liking it. A little unfair of me to try out a new foundation for a 5 hours, scorching hot boating day.. but it did hold up. I probably won't try doing a full face of makeup on a day like that again, but for school I'm definatly going to wear this stuff.... if it doesn't break me out.

Edited by Fruitloops

That's interesting, that it's the same shade, lightness wise. It just looked so off in the bottle that I assumed it was too dark for me. Ivory is actually a touch too light for me, and maybe too pink? But it oxidizes in an hour or two and fits my skintone close enough. Still deciding if I'm going to return it and try to find a better skintone match.

if youre still thinking about returning the color you have now and getting a new one, i SERIOUSLY suggest you go here:

http:// www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix

its called the foundation matrix and it goes by mac's makeup shades (you know, NC20 or NW45, etc.)

if you know what foundation color you are for mac (i just figured mine out via their foundation finder which is on their website, its really simple to use and actually pretty fast and accurate)

so anyway, the foundation matrix, i swear to god its a life-saver :) it helps me with my year-round foundation color matches haha

and i actually use revlon colorstay too. i love it but i agree, its not exactly a 100% non-transfer formula, but it gets the job done. i happen to be 240 sand beige at the moment (mac's NC 25/30-ish)

by the way, you sound as if youve got warm undertones rather than cool (which is why youre foundation is looking too pinkish on you) so when you use the foundation matrix, you need to select warm tones rather than cool tones.. because warm undertones are usually warm/more neutral than cool tones (in my experience anyway)

well, i hope you enjoy using your new revlon foundation :) just try it out for a couple more weeks or maybe even a month and see if you like it or want to switch it with a different brand.. have a great rest of the summer :)

Edited by natalie.tweeter

The coverage isn't bad, although it doesn't really cover red marks. I have to follow up with powder or mineral foundation (powder). It breaks me out like crazy though!

The coverage isn't bad, although it doesn't really cover red marks. I have to follow up with powder or mineral foundation (powder). It breaks me out like crazy though!

[/quote

Do you recommend that foundation for my skin if i have acne and very oily skin?

I'm looking for a foundation that can resist the sweat!

it's summer time and i sweat a lot and my makeup non lasts =(

But i don't wanna more pimples =S

thanks for the advice

quotes aren't working for me :(

seventengirl - I've done the "festival test" with Colorstay haha. I wore it to a music festival last year on a day when it was 35 degrees (if you've ever been to a festival I'm sure you know how sweaty you can get in the mosh pits!). Surprisingly, the foundation stayed put, despite being hosed a few times. So yes, it lasts well. It's probably one of the best drugstore foundations you'll find. BUT for people with oily skin, liquid foundation in general is a bit risky. Unless you know how to apply it properly it can look very fake and will become oily after a few hours. You might want to find a good powder to apply over the top and blot whenever you start getting oily.

Makeup will always aggravate acne. There's nothing you can do about that. Just make sure you remove all traces as soon as you get home and only wear it when absolutely necessary. Let your skin breathe sometimes.

Hope this helps :)