Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
susanliu

Accutane - NHS Log (with pics)

Hi all,

So I finally got my meds the other day, and I thought it'd be pretty cool to make a log of my progress, since I've been stalking so many other peeps :P

Brief history, since you've all probably had something similar, no need to be repetitive.

First had acne at the age of 10 (yes, I had it early). Nothing major, whiteheads and small pustules, but definitely there.

Went to the GP about it seriously at age 13 since it got pretty bad but still no scarring yet, only enlarged pored. Got topical and one of them, Zineryt, worked real good for about a year - I had clear-ass skin during this time - and then my face exploded (at a leisurely pace). I had the worse acne of my life, it was just awful, I had it everywhere and I didn't do anything about it seriously until January of this year - by which time I already had pretty heavy scarring on my cheek area, and around my mouth. It's many ice-picks with some random rolling ones scattered about.

The thing I regret most is leaving it so late, but gotta look on the bright side, at least I'm doing something about it now right?

I'm on 35mg starting and going up to 70mg (full dose) next month for a total treatment course of 4 months.. which I'm thinking is on the short side, so might try and get it extended..

Anyway, enough talking, pictures speak 999 words more no? ;)

post-143798-1309731097_thumb.jpg

post-143798-1309731074_thumb.jpg

post-143798-1309730293_thumb.jpg

The above 3 were actually a 'clear' spell. My face looks a lot worse atm and a while back, but my laptop overheated and died, so those pics are gone too since the motherboard thing just melted. However, #2 shows the scarring/texture somewhat, even though crap camera won't pick up the whole thing

post-143798-1309731184_thumb.jpg

With tinted moisturizer and a flattering light I can look somewhat less hideous, although it doesn't seem by much..

post-143798-1309730293_thumb.jpg

post-143798-1309731074_thumb.jpg

post-143798-1309731097_thumb.jpg

post-143798-1309731184_thumb.jpg

Edited by susanliu

HI!!!

im savannah! YAYYYY ON GETTING ACCUTANE IM NEARING MONTH 4!=D

it will be a roller coaster mate im telling you that but it will be worth it everything will dry up so much quicker andd before u know it you will have the skin you have ALWAYS dreamed of

tip #1use LOTs of chapstick

tip #2 drink plenty of water

tip #3 take accutane with fatty food(healthy fat, this will help it absorb better)

tip #4 wash face with gentle cleanser

tip#5 DONT EXFOLIATE

tip#6 eye drops are a must!

tip#7 good hair conditioner

hope this helped

!!

<3 good luck

!!

hey its me Jeff, ypu posted in my accutane log, im very happy you started accutane! you have a long way to go, but Dont Worry, it will all be worth it!!!

Keep us updated.

-jeffmcfly

Hey girl, you posted on my log so I'm here to check yours out! That's terrible that your acne got out of control like that... I know how that feels. But you're well on your way to clear skin now, and I'll be checking in a lot to see how you're doing! Since we started at almost the same time and we're Asian females, it'll be really cool to follow your progress :) If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh? I'm on 30mg and I'm 125-130lbs, I think I want to ask my derm to go up to 50 or ever 60mg for my second month. Thanks!

hey we have the same last name ! lol

i just want to tell you that your scarring isnt bad at all!

it just looks like a lot of red marks that will fade eventually :D

was it hard for you to convince your derm to give you accutane?

im beginning to get some icepick scars and i dont know if my derm will find that a valid reason to prescribe me accutane.

anyways best of luckk

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you! I will be starting next Friday. I can't wait!I wish you the best.

dollyjoon

hey Savannah, thanks for the tips - I'll def keep them in mind! Although i've broken some of them already :S Also, you're so lucky you're on month 4 already!!! So jealouss

jeffmcfly

ta for the encouragement, I know I have a LONG ass way to go till i get skin anywhere near as amazing as yours, and will do ;)

whateverclever

wow, thanks for visiting back - I'll def be following yours too, we can compare haha, though I'm sure yours is a LOT better than mine, you should post pics, then look back and feel amazing!

Yea, sure. I'm a bit of a heavy-weight though ha, I tell myself it's because i'm tallish.. but really, I need to lose some lbsss so we'll see how that goes on accutane as well.

I'm about 155lbs, so my current dosage is half my full. I think the dose you're thinking of next month sounds about right for you, plus, if you're doing a 6 month course at 50mg, you'll still have more than the recommended dosage/kg. Mine will go up to 70mg, but that's because I weight a lot more ;S All in proportion, right?

regretful

Ha, that's so cool, dya mind me asking what your first name is? What part of China are you/were your folks from? My camera is absolute bull, you can't see it on film, but it's really bad in real life, I'll try and get one that shows it a bit better.

It wasn't hard to convince my derm - he took one look at my face and told me to make an appointment with the nurse and come back, but it was HARD to convince my GP. The way it works in England is, everything, I mean everything, goes through your GP. They have to then make the decision to refer you, or treat you.

Actually, one of the reasons my (3rd) GP actually decided to refer me was because of my scarring from my acne- ice picks and rolling ones as this is what is going to be permanent. Maybe english GPs are just stingy.. but if they don't see signs of permanent, or possible permanent damage they'll try and skimp out (but you normally need to have pretty bad acne, or if not, moderate, but very persistent). It's a good idea to listen to what the derm says though, and then if they don't bring it up, bring Accutane up yourself, and tell them why you want on. But normally they won't prescribe unless you've tried antibiotics and birth control to no effect/little for at least a few months each.

Hope that helps, and good luck and keep me updated!

Again!

Thank you :) Ahhh, that's great news, the sooner you get on, the faster you can kick this!

*phew*

Edited by susanliu

UPDATE - Day 8

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone that's commented, it's really nice to go through this process with other peeps and know I'm not rambling to myself, so thanks for that ;P

Ok, so since day..4, I have been experiencing dryness. Well, not dryness as such, but on my face, I'm still producing oil, but I am shedding like a friggin snake here, seriously, I have to either exfoliate it off (very, very gently) or slather myself in oil/moisturizer.

What I'm finding works really well atm, especially after a shower/bath, when my skin looks like it's falling off, and at night (when I have the time), I wash with cetaphil, gently pat dry, spray on Lush tea tree toner (which really helps even out my skin and feels refreshing, and then.. using about a 1-inch in diameter of bio-oil (or a bit more) and pat gently onto face, then really gently and slowly, work it into my skin, like, everywhere till it is completely absorbed and no longer 'oily' looking.

As you massage, you'll actually feel the dead skin being rubbed/massaged off, and I think it helps keep your pores a bit cleaner as you can feel your blackheads kinda slipping out (yum yum, right), but trust me, it's really helped with the dead, flaky skin and texture - try it out. I think it's because oil is very slippery, so means there is less friction between the pore and the bit of dirt lodged, so it acts much like a lubricant and you end up with a cleaner face. I recommend washing it very mildly first though, with something like cetaphil, just to get rid of some of the grime/sweat and bacteria. I use this method in place of a moisturizer at night. I skip one day and the next, I get a face full of flakies.. even when I use Cetaphil moisturizer.

In the am, I again, wash with cetaphil very gently, rinse off, pat till slightly moist, mist with the toner stuff, and the proceed to slap on the moisturizer, which I mix with spf 30, 50 or 100 sunscreen because boyyy do I go RED without it.. I could almost feel my skin burning the other day, and I had spf 50 on as well.. this coming from someone who never burns, only tans (although, rather slowly).

Also, I don't know how to describe it, but it also feels slightly.. raw. My sunglasses were rubbing against my cheek, and it really started to hurt, even though you couldn't see anything..

My lips have, in the last 3-4 days started to get dry, and the last two days, I can't go without any less than around 6 times a day. Not too bad, but I think it's because before they actually started getting dry, I put it on at night in prep, so they were pretty moisturized to start with. I'm using Blistex MedPlus, really good, no complaints, apart from lack of sun protection.. but i'm not too bothered. And it'd be pretty sweet if it came in tints as well.. but I can't be too picky.

Vaseline didn't do shite on me, it felt oily and rubbed of within 2 seconds, didn't sink in at all, so I wouldn't go there.

My head/scalp has been itching like no-tomorrow. Seriously, I had a little problem to start with, in that I tended to have a really dry scalp straight after washing and as a result; dandruff. But this is just ridiculous. I can't wash it in fear of drying it out further, but I can't deal with this much dead skin coming off!! It's a bloody lucky thing I have long-ass hair that I can just tie up/hides my scalp.

I mean, I brought this coconut shampoo/cond with seems slightly more gently, less stripping, but i still have bad scalp problems!

Anyone got any good recommendations for a really really moisturizing shampoo that cleans your hair well too. I mean, I don't like stripping stuff.. but I hate greasy hair even more. I wash my hair every 3 - 4 days as well, so I know it's not a problem with washing it too often :S Please help...

Also, my eyes have gotten a little more dry, it's only occasional and nothing to really worry about, tbh, I've always had a tiny problem with dry eyes sometimes, especially in the winter, but it seems to have gotten a bit more frequent, no biggy though.

The pharmacist told me to blink more often.. haha, maybe I tend to stare to long :P No decrease in night vision atm, so it's all good :)

One kinda skanky thing is, I seem to be going to the toilet.. slightly more often, and stools are a bit abnormal.. that's all I'm saying. If you want to hear more, feel free to contact me/ask. I just don't want to gross too many people out haha, though I have no problems talking about it. After all, we all ingest, and egest, just another process of the human body..

About inital breakouts/IB, I don't really see too much in terms or more spots. Although, I admit, I have had some pimples on my forehead, although it's not too major, they're kinda under the skin ones, that feel really annoying, but a reasonably invisible from the front view. Also, I've had some breakouts on my lower jaw/cheek area which I think has def got worse, but not too major again, so I'm ok. And they seem to be starting to clear up, which is good, but I'm also red and like an oil slick(because of the moisturizer - and I'd rather be a tad oily than flaky flaky), so it looks quite a bit worse normally when I'm out in the day.

I compensate my mixing some foundation into my moisturizer when I'm at sixth form, so I don't look like a complete freak.. but without makeup, it does look kinda bad... especially since I have some friends with the most amazing skin, and I can see where their eyeballs are focusing on... lol

So yea, that brings you all pretty much up to date!

And as always, pics...

Overall:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0670.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0671.jpg

Scarring:

(look at the dimples, it's hard to spot, but you can see them quite clearly)

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0678.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0680.jpg

I think the reason you can't see them too much in photos is because they're not too deep, but on the shallow side, so don't reflect as shadows as much..

THE JAW/chin breakout!!!

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0691.jpg

Awful pic of me, but you can see the difference in colour between face, and chest. Times that difference by about 5, and it's real life.. this is at night as well, after washing and after it's calmed down a bit

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/a...n/Photo0664.jpg

hi, i still think your pretty, even with acne, your face shape is perfect an have lovely eyes, just a few months youll look perfect-can just imagine it! ill be wqtching this thread, i should be going on accutane in about 6 weeks time through nhs- good luck to you!!

Edited by Reealgood

hey!=]

i want to tell u time flies by so quick of the accutane course soon u will be on 4 months and it will have come so soon

hang in there and u r so beautiful dont let acne get in the way of u seeing that

=]

You are gorgeous, girly!

You're acne is so similar to mine!

My IB was nothing short of tragic. I'm not saying this to freak you out, but prepare you.

I had some horrible false hope that I would just start getting better and that is just not realistic.

BUT - at the end of two months, I have come light years.

Accutane will save us!

I really look forward to hearing about your progress, keep in touch and keep us posted!!

Lots of Love,

Crystal

hiii susan

im not comfortable with revealing my first name here i hope you understand :D

my family speaks canto, not exactly sure from where lol i should ask

guess what, im starting accutane next month yay!

i am most afraid of hairloss, what about you?

Reealgood

Hey, wow, you really think that? I feel like an ugly duckling that's never going to turn into a beautiful swan.. I don't really get compliments often.

But yea.. my face shape? it's a dinner-plate shape, seriously, a perfect.. f-circle haha. Someone once described it as like the moon (is that another way of saying crater face? Bitch.. lol).. another, like a beach ball haha. I think from far away, it IS like a dinner plate, and close up, well, actually, it's slightly longer than it is wide. *shrugs* what can I do? Only thing is, I don't do close ups normally, NO-one comes close to me, personal space issues.. or another way of saying 'Please don't look at my acne' so it's hard for me to feel comfortable with strangers y'know?

But yes, thanks you so much, it means a lot - and ahhhh - congrats on getting through the system! You'll start in no time, and we can both be perfect at the end of this ;P

dollyjoon

I've only been on it for like.. 12 days or something. Jesus Christ I have a looonnnggg ass way to go, it already feels like forever, and I'm getting uglier by the second :S But thanks all the same, I appreciate it.

Crystal

I love your name, god, why did I have to be named 'Susan', it's such an old ladies name.. and not the good kind either.

Thanks, but I can't really see it, I think, I've had weight and image/bullying issues in the past and present, I still have a terrible mindset when it comes to myself that it's so hard for me to see anything positive about myself - something is always wrong - the only thing i'm probably happy with is my hair(!) and even then, I still have issues with it sometimes..

DAMN, here was me thinking it was going to start getting better, and I might not get a full-blown IB... do you remember when it really started hitting you? I know some people don't get an IB at all and it just clears (slowly), I was really kinda hoping that'd happen to me... :S

regretful

lol, okay, don't worry, I just thought a name would be more polite than referring to you as 'regretful' all the time ;P

Ahh, canto? I'm Mando haha - maybe Hong Kong, huh? haha

That's amazing newss!! Def. start a log so we can keep up with each other! - Yes, actually, hairloss is a MASSIVE issue to me. My hair is my one good feature and I'm so so scared something might happen. I know it sounds vain, but it's kinda my security blanket, if you like.

Actually, I grew it out really long, and I was thinking of maybe chopping back a bit and adding some layers, but I don't know where they should start/if they should be long ones or short ones.

One thing I DO know is i'd rather still have thick hair than super long hair for a while - thickness is so hard to grow back, and I don't want to put too much pressure on my scalp.. but yea, i'll keep you updated on that - do you have any ideas on how I should get it cut? It looks like this atm:

HAIR PICTURE - PHOTOBUCKET

..yea, it's really long. And it's a bit wet in that photo.. so any ideas on how I should get it cut peeps?

Susan xxx

Edited by susanliu

I really do!

Just wait, when the acne goes and your confidence blooms, you'll be getting all the boys! I really like circle faces, I mean,think Lily Cole.

My hair's very similar to yours, albeit every so slightly shorter, that's because I recently got a couple of inches cut. I really like my hair long and thick, i feel getting it cut would just take away my favourite assett, but then i think, would frame my face better. :)

Reealgood

Hey, wow, you really think that? I feel like an ugly duckling that's never going to turn into a beautiful swan.. I don't really get compliments often.

But yea.. my face shape? it's a dinner-plate shape, seriously, a perfect.. f-circle haha. Someone once described it as like the moon.. another, like a beach ball haha. I think from far away, it IS like a dinner plate, and close up, well, actually, it's slightly longer than it is wide. *shrugs* what can I do? Only thing is, I don't do close ups normally, NO-one comes close to me, personal space issues.. or another way of saying 'Please don't look at my acne' so it's hard for me to feel comfortable with strangers y'know?

But yes, thanks you so much, it means a lot - and ahhhh - congrats on getting through the system! You'll start in no time, and we can both be perfect at the end of this ;P

dollyjoon

I've only been on it for like.. 12 days or something. Jesus Christ I have a looonnnggg ass way to go, it already feels like forever, and I'm getting uglier by the second :S But thanks all the same, I appreciate it.

Crystal

I love your name, god, why did I have to be named 'Susan', it's such an old ladies name.. and not the good kind either.

Thanks, but I can't really see it, I think, I've had weight and image/bullying issues in the past and present, I still have a terrible mindset when it comes to myself that it's so hard for me to see anything positive about myself - something is always wrong - the only thing i'm probably happy with is my hair(!) and even then, I still have issues with it sometimes..

DAMN, here was me thinking it was going to start getting better, and I might not get a full-blown IB... do you remember when it really started hitting you? I know some people don't get an IB at all and it just clears (slowly), I was really kinda hoping that'd happen to me... :S

regretful

lol, okay, don't worry, I just thought a name would be more polite than referring to you as 'regretful' all the time ;P

Ahh, canto? I'm Mando haha - maybe Hong Kong, huh? haha

That's amazing newss!! Def. start a log so we can keep up with each other! - Yes, actually, hairloss is a MASSIVE issue to me. My hair is my one good feature and I'm so so scared something might happen. I know it sounds vain, but it's kinda my security blanket, if you like.

Actually, I grew it out really long, and I was thinking of maybe chopping back a bit and adding some layers, but I don't know where they should start/if they should be long ones or short ones.

One thing I DO know is i'd rather still have thick hair than super long hair for a while - thickness is so hard to grow back, and I don't want to put too much pressure on my scalp.. but yea, i'll keep you updated on that - do you have any ideas on how I should get it cut? It looks like this atm:

HAIR PICTURE - PHOTOBUCKET

..yea, it's really long. And it's a bit wet in that photo.. so any ideas on how I should get it cut peeps?

Susan xxx

Omg You have amazing hair! I use to have reaslly long hair too, not quite as long, but I cut about 8 inches off last summer. I'ts pretty long again now, but after 5 months of accutane, it's nothing like it use to be. It's dry, split and kind of lifeless. I'm prob going to get it cut a somewhat again when I finish, and then hopefully it will grown in healthier.

But anyways, yes I would advice you to cut it a bit during your course. Your hair will dry out and most likely become dull, and the longer it is the more annoying it will be to deal with.

Good luck on your course!

hmm, I don't know about that haha, I'm not a massively approachable person if you don't know me know what I'm saying? Apparently, I give off a 'don't look at me, don't talk to me' look/i'm intimidating.. I mean, the other day, we were going to a uni open day, and this group of people just walk up to my friend and me to ask for directions. Followed by another group of people.

This NEVER happens to me, ever, so I attribute it to her 'approachable' face haha. Guys hardly ever talk to me, I try to blend into the background, I get too self-conscious :S

Yea, I totally get you, my hair is my One good feature, it's almost like a trade mark now, people know me as -Susan, the girl with really long hair. But I don't know if I want to be known as 'wow, you hair is so long' rather than 'wow, your hair really brings out the best in you'/

Get me?

Plus, I get weird looks when I wear it down/it's hard. It's kinda longer than the norm, and just gets too much sometimes since it has no shape, and hangs like a massively obstructing curtain. So I thought maybe cut around 6 inches off or something (it'll be like still waist length) and get layers from around shoulder length down? But I just really don't want them to make it all thin, I want to keep the thickness/chunky hem, but I want some movement/volume/sexyness in there too!!!

AHHHH I need more hair!!! lol

pinkstarlett

Ty, but it isn't THAT nice haha, It's like a dead weight on my head.. I swear my back pains are from this... but yea, woah, I really hope I don't get super dry hair :S I think that'd kill me urgh, my scalp is itchy itchy and flaking like there's no tomorrow. I think it's about the same - sebum wise, maybe ever so slightly drier.. but hopefully even when I go up to my full dose, it won't get too bad.. I could oil it? haha, but yes, thanks for the advice, I might get it cut on tuesday, nothing too dramatic, but just to take some weight off my shoulders (literally)!

Also - well done on your course - you're nearly all done - SO SO jealous!

Susan-

OK, so on the hair front. All I remember about the last time I went on accutane (4 years go) was after awhile my hair became kinda of lifeless and blah-very hard to explain, but that's the best I can do. I had really long hair and I just remember cutting it pretty short after accutane because it looked so yucky.

So, this time around, I thought ahead and I ended up chopping my hair off (and anyone who knows me, knows short hair is so not me) above my shoulders-just long enough to put in a really short pony tail. My thinking was, I have very fine hair, (but a ton of it!) which is just going to dry out and hang there, so I decided to cut it short, so it could have more body. Plus, the shorter it is the less you have to blow dry it, straighten it or what not.

As scary as it can be to cut your hair, I am so happy I did. It was fun and it's pretty cute. And.......I am able to fix it in a way that covers my checks really well, (where most of my horrible cystic acne is) which is just a plus! ;)

Good Luck! I will be following you.

Question

When you say congrats on getting through the system, does that mean it's pretty difficult for you guys in the UK to get on accutane? And I thought it was just us females in the states.

Michael

Hey man that's great!! We can totally compare effects day-by-day since we're literally on the same plan here! Ahh, i'm so excited ¬¬¬ ...then I see my face... ok maybe not :S But yea, i'll definitely be watching you ;)

Again!

Cheers babe for that advice, sounds good. I'll definitely go for a bit of a chop and some layers then - i mean, I can always cut more off later right?

Ah, my hair is not so fine, the strands themselves are much thicker, and I would say I have medium number of hairs haha, but it makes up pretty thickish ponyail.

Yea, thing is, I don't ever use heat on it, unless I need to go to bed and it hasn't dried yet, then I'll blast it quickly (or it'll still be wet next morning!) so it's not an issue of damage - I have none haha. I dyed it with henna a few weeks ago, which explains the red tinge, but naturally it's a ginger dark brown :S But yesss, body is something I crave very much atm!

Your hair sounds gorg - haha, great idea. I'm thinking face-framing layers that might cover some of my cheeks up, but I get annoyed with hair on my face.. so it'll probs start from shoulder length going down :P

Yes, NHS system is ridiculously stupid and slow. They make you try every single thing before, and then they drag it out, and when they *finally finally* refer you (it works in that you have to go to the GP to get seen to, they decide treatment and only when you've exhausted all other options, do they refer you to a derm - you can't see one just randomly unless you go private - I'm getting my treatment free on the NHS because I meet certain criteria)

Basically, I've been waiting since Jan to see the derm - sometimes they have waiting lists too, but everything is just so unorganised and lots of hassle. Half the apps I had coulda been cut out, waste of time and money really.

No iPledge system, but you sign a form to say you acknowledge/will follow the rules - i.e. no getting preggers haha by either taking birth control, or if the doc believes you, promise abstinence - which is what i've done, since I don't plan on getting it on anytime soon...

But yea, I've explained it in another post somewhere in a bit more detail..

..which I can't find atm. I'll update when I find it ;)

hi hi! just looked through some of your pics. yes, the redness makes things a lot worse, but you look fine. and look at those lips! don't worry, you're gorgeous! what day are you on, again? i'll be keeping track of you! good luck girly!

What Uni where you looking around? I should start my uni course end of september, and my a-level results come the same day as my dermatologist appointment! UCAS is soo annoying!

Edited by Reealgood

Julia

Eurgh, I feel like a beetroot constantly.. well, not a beetroot, but my face constantly looks about 3 shades darker (redder) than my neck atm :S

What lips?! They feel like rubber and I HAVE to apply lip balm every hour or so, or I'm dead meat.

Day 14 :) Half way through the first month!

Reealgood

Ahh, universities.. well, I mostly want to stay in London. Either Imperial or UCL, but I love love love Edinburgh (probs not gna apply though, since word is they don't like English students). Looking at Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham/Newcastle/Leeds/Liverpool though too. I've decided I want to stay in a biggish city.

Has anyone ever heard about parts of Bristol being really racist? Someone told me that, and that's got me kinda concerned... :S

I want to stay local so I'm going to Leeds, I really liked the look of it too, Manchester is also brilliant, I applied there, I applied to the universities close to me really, but stuck with Leeds. Bristol is a brilliant university, it's very good, my best friend wanted to go there but got rejected, they wanted at least A*AA sometimes A*A*A for the course she wanted to do. I myself am coloured and i don't really worry too much about racism at university as they're all so multicultural, including Bristol. What course you looking at?

I applied for medicine first, nearly got in, but didn't, so ended up going with my 5th option, chemical engineering. It was hell of a process, but it's just not worth applying again for me.

Ooh my appointment's now next week- found a cancellation!

Edited by Reealgood