Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else notice oranges give you cysts?

MemberMember
(@shayrobbie)

Posted : 07/03/2011 11:57 am

Okay so my acne is only on my chin, however, I never get cysts, NEVER. About a month ago I ate a crapload of oranges and drank loads of orange juice. Then BAM the next day almost I delveloped cysts all over my chin, they've only just stopped coming now (hopefully). But I'm so sure it was the oranges since nothing else in my life or diet changed. What do you think? Anyone else notice an increase in cysts when eating oranges?

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 07/03/2011 12:21 pm

I never got cystic acne until I was 18, and I was also having smoothies that had at least one orange a day, because I was misinformed and thought any fruits were good for my skin. Left me with some serious PIH for the last half year or so. When I've experimented with oranges again, I'd get one or two cysts in my face or back. Painful buggers too!

MemberMember
(@neverforget)

Posted : 07/03/2011 12:32 pm

I've seen many people here who say that oranges and other citrus fruits result in cysts.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/03/2011 2:41 pm

How long before you see a cyst developing after consuming an orange? If it is hours, then it is either clearly something else or a mild allergic reaction.

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 07/03/2011 3:10 pm

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 07/03/2011 5:52 pm

Citrus is a relatively common allergen, so yes it's possible.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 07/03/2011 11:32 pm

If it's showing up that quickly, then it's likely an allergic reaction and not an acne cyst (meaning it would be a cyst still, but not an acne one).

The only way to know if it was oranges would be to consume more oranges again and see what happens. Sometimes, pimples/breakouts just coincide with things we do/eat. Doesn't mean it's necessarily connected unless these cysts occur every time you eat oranges.

What's the difference between an "acne cyst" and an allergic reaction cyst?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/04/2011 10:46 am

I've seen many people here who say that oranges and other citrus fruits result in cysts.

Yep. I get cysts from most citrus.

If it's showing up that quickly, then it's likely an allergic reaction and not an acne cyst (meaning it would be a cyst still, but not an acne one).

The only way to know if it was oranges would be to consume more oranges again and see what happens. Sometimes, pimples/breakouts just coincide with things we do/eat. Doesn't mean it's necessarily connected unless these cysts occur every time you eat oranges.

She's just saying it's not really 'acne' in that it's not the weeks to form, hormone induced pore clogging process. It really doesn't matter except that that's probably the explanation for why some people might clear up immediately from eliminating one food or something. Where as for acne, it's all kinds of processes regarding blood sugar, sleep, nutrients, hormones, stress, etc that need improvement to keep skin clear.

I, myself had both these allergic reaction cysts plus oily skin and all kinds of acne. And rosacea.

MemberMember
(@vitaltracks)

Posted : 10/07/2013 7:55 pm

As a teen I had terrible acne, was on accutane as young adult for a few months, but fortunately now have only minimal scarring and dry eyes from the accutane. My teen years are long past and I've been acne free for years. For no specific reason I perhaps not coincidentally had not had orange juice much or at all during that time either. Last month, a couple of times I decided to make a special Sunday breakfast including Orange juice. The next day I would have a painful cyst that came to a deep pimple. This happened a couple of times or more but I thought it coincidence until the same thing happened again yesterday.

These were deep cysts. I don't know about the original author's definition of 'cyst', but I think of a cyst as a deeply inflamed, painful nodule that feels like part of my face is swollen and is diffusely slightly red. I don't think it is allergic as there is no itching and it does not occur immediately, more like 16 to 24 hours later.

I have no idea whether it is something specific to the citrus or vitamin C, but for the record, I also take a multivitamin (Centrum containing vitamin C) and I also usually have canned blueberries at the same time (also high in Vit C I believe). I suspect that the combination of multivitamin, blueberries, and orange juice is just enough to push my skin into the cystic acne zone.

Here's my theory: A cyst is a connective tissue capsule, and without the vitamin C, a capsule is not strong enough to form, but with the vitamin C a tough little pocket of infection can form.

:

QUOTE (i am ashley. @ Jul 3 2011, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/09/2013 11:24 am

I drink 32oz of freshly squeezed orange juice every other day. No cyst. my high raw high carb diet has saved me

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/09/2013 8:43 pm

I drink 32oz of freshly squeezed orange juice every other day. No cyst. my high raw high carb diet has saved me

Saved you from what?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/09/2013 9:22 pm

Acne breakouts. No fat diet.

Saved you from what?

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/09/2013 10:25 pm

hmmm, it's funny, yet i no longer consume oranges and i no longer experience cysts. yet, i don't know if that is the connection for me. oranges have a lot of sugar so maybe that's what caused the cysts for you? excess sugar exacerbates acne conditions.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/10/2013 10:24 am

hmmm, it's funny, yet i no longer consume oranges and i no longer experience cysts. yet, i don't know if that is the connection for me. oranges have a lot of sugar so maybe that's what caused the cysts for you? excess sugar exacerbates acne conditions.

It isn't the sugar. It's a fairly common intolerance. And not funny.

Also, sugar doesn't cause cysts to appear the next day. It contributes to the many factors that lead to the formation of normal acne.

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/10/2013 10:48 am

Also, sugar doesn't cause cysts to appear the next day. It contributes to the many factors that lead to the formation of normal acne.

when i used the term 'funny', i meant interesting. didn't think i had to clarify that, yet it seems i have to.

i responded with my thoughts on the topic coming from my own perspective/experiences.

hopefully the person who created the post receives the assistance they need.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/10/2013 1:44 pm

when i used the term 'funny', i meant interesting. didn't think i had to clarify that, yet it seems i have to.

i responded with my thoughts on the topic coming from my own perspective/experiences.

hopefully the person who created the post receives the assistance they need.

I knew what you meant. And I just felt like saying that cystic acne isn't funny.

Also, the person created the post more than two years ago. And doesn't need assistance. Just needs to avoid the food he/she has an intolerance to.