Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I am new here and really needing some advice about where to go with my acne problem.

I am a 26 year old female who has suffered from acne for a long time. I had the usual as a teenager and then it cleared up. Then it went out of control at about the age of 18-19. It cleared again a little in my early twenties but came back a couple of years ago.

It is always chin acne, occasional spot elsewhere but very rarely. They are often huge under the skin lumps (cystic I assume)- very painful to the point where even eating and talking is hard. They make me unable to sleep because they throb. Aswell as these I get normal smallish whitehead type spots. My chin is very rarely clear. Pretty much everyday something new will bubble up. Sometimes it gets out of control and I get very, very down about it.

As a result I suffer from depression. It has taken over my life. I know it could be so much worse but it is the constant battle every day that drags me down. When I go for a night out I am afraid to look in the mirror coz there will always be something new brewing beneath the skin. It's a relentless battle and I'm sick of it.

I have been on dianette and am on it again but it doesn't seem to be having the effect it once had. I have tried various antibiotics but they actually seem to make the problem worse now, although I think at one point they helped a little. I've had every topical thing under the sun but my skin is so sensitive that it just goes very red, angry and sore so I avoid putting anything on it now.

My doctor referred me to a derm last week and I had my appointment this week. The derm basically said the only step now was accutane. She was reluctant because my acne is not majorly bad and also I suffer from depression but she understood that my acne is persistent and not responding so I have had the blood tests ready and now have the accutane prescription, just waiting for the go ahead off the derm once my bloods are back.

Here is my dilemma. I desperately need to sort this problem out. I am a senior school teacher so it is hard facing classes of kids with spotty skin. And I am sick and tired of the battle I have with my skin everyday. But I am worried, as you can imagine, as I have heard horrible things about this drug. I am worried about initial breakouts. I can only just about cope with the acne I have and if it got worse I don't know if I would cope very well. I am also worried about the side effects.

She wants to start me on 30mg a day. Is this a mild dose or normal?

I am very sensitive to strong drugs in that I have recently had a number of collapses/fits due to things like top strength painkillers and anti depressants, so obviously this is worrying me aswell, but I wont know until I take it.

I am torn between the state I am in and what could happen. I know the end result is likely to be good but I am very nervous about getting there with this drug.

Could anyone offer any advice?

x

No-one?

Well there was a slight hiccup. My bloods didnt come back clear. I have elevated lipids so I cant start accutane until I have another test that comes back clear.

Having test again this week. Really wish I could just start this drug. Sick of being in pain with my skin.

30mg a day for a female is pretty much normal (most are around 20-30). Guys above 18 can be anywhere between 60 and 80.

Going on accutane will offer you a huge opportunity to clear your skin and free yourself from depression related to acne.. You will find that once you finish your course, a HUGE weight will be lifted off your shoulders.

I don't really have time to type a big reply as I have to go to work, but 30mg is great for you, and at that dose you shouldn't experience too high of an initial break-out at all. The best advice I can offer you is to go on the Accutane for a month once your blood work comes back on the normal side, then gauge from there whether it is becoming a problem for you or not. Try to think positively when you're on it that you are taking a huge step towards clearing your skin - that will help you feel optimistic as opposed to depressed while on it. Lots of people say they feel depressed when on accutane.. When I was on it I was feeling amazing because I knew I would be clear within months.

Edited by Jxr

Thank you for your reply Jxr. I have to go and have my bloods done again this week and then if they are clear hopefully I can start taking the drug next week. I have it all ready but just not allowed to take it yet.

This morning I have woken with a smallish but massively painful red lump right in the centre of my chin. It throbs when I bend down. I can't put up with this much longer so I think I will give the drug a chance. My main concern is an initial breakout, interestingly my derm said that most people she sees who get a bad initial breakout are men so I wonder if that's because they get a stronger dose of the drug?

I am a male. I've been on Accutane for three weeks, and I've noticed a marked improvement. After the initial breakout (which was bearable), my skin began to clear rapidly. I still have trouble down by my jawline (with those larger spots), but that is on its way to clearing up, too.

As far as side-effects go, the worst is dry lips. They can become repulsive if you don't get on top of them with lip balm. I suggest wearing it at night, too, because when you wake up, it's not a pretty sight. Other than that, I've had dry skin around my forehead and chin, which I treat with a special moisturiser (ask your dermatologist). And I've had mild back pain.

But yeah, I'd certainly recommend it.

Edited by Skiyk

Nut - your story is exactly like mine. I was 25.

I can pretty much tell you that after 6 months of accutane (2 months really), it was like all the pieces of my life fell into place. That painful cystic acne? Gone within 10 weeks, never returned.

Depression? Gone. Why? Cuz I knew when I woke up in the morning & looked in the mirror there would be nothing. No spots, no pain, nothing. Just clear skin.

Also, please look into your birth control, once on accutane & acne clears, your BC might be to blame for any psychological problems you might be facing.

On 30mg a day you will have a mild initial breakout, if any. Get yourself some good mineral makeup (everydayminerals.com was a lifesaver) and the time will pass quickly & easily.

Don't worry, you'll be posting on here saying how much your life has transformed from this drug.

I can pretty much tell you that after 6 months of accutane (2 months really), it was like all the pieces of my life fell into place. That painful cystic acne? Gone within 10 weeks, never returned.

Depression? Gone. Why? Cuz I knew when I woke up in the morning & looked in the mirror there would be nothing. No spots, no pain, nothing. Just clear skin.

Also, please look into your birth control, once on accutane & acne clears, your BC might be to blame for any psychological problems you might be facing.

On 30mg a day you will have a mild initial breakout, if any. Get yourself some good mineral makeup (everydayminerals.com was a lifesaver) and the time will pass quickly & easily.

Don't worry, you'll be posting on here saying how much your life has transformed from this drug.

Thank you very much. I can cope with a little initial breakout, provided it stays in the chin area. Did your breakout spread to other parts? At what stage did you get the initial breakout and was it cyst type spots or just normal?

Thank you very much. I can cope with a little initial breakout, provided it stays in the chin area. Did your breakout spread to other parts? At what stage did you get the initial breakout and was it cyst type spots or just normal?

The IB can spread to any part that youwould typically get acne. It's not usually cystic but can be.... think of it like accutane pushing out all the spots you would have gotten in the next few months.

I got my IB about 3 weeks in I think.... but it wasn't that bad. I was only on 40mg/day. It lasted less than a month too! I got some full coverage mineral make up (don't use liquid or your old stuff on accutane!) & that really helped.