Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While I have seen a reduction in the number of breakouts, my skin looks horrible..it has a combination of acne which is not all gone, PIH, dryness and redness. I started the regimen using dan's products. With time I transitioned to using Purpose as my cleanser since I found it much less drying than Dan's cleanser. I was using a mixture of his moisturizer with Neutrogena 90spf but the dry skin and flakiness was killing me so I tried jojoba oil but it broke me out a bit so I stopped. I then got Olay 15spf so I didn't have to use two different products and assuming it wouldn't be as thick as the 90spf..well it didn't feel very moisturizing.

Today I switched to Cetaphil and applied it in the morning. It felt more moisturizing but is quite oily. I am also in my first week of using AHA+ (Dan's) at night. I have been drinking a green smoothie consisting of a bunch of baby spinach, cilantro, blueberries, a carrot, and sometimes half a pear or apple..it comes out to about a liter. My diet also entirely consists of chicken breast, tilapia, and every now and then red meat (but not as often). Water, steamed broccoli, and roasted almonds. Every other day I will eat a banana too. (Very low carb if you noticed..not for acne purposes though).

I still feel, however, that my skin looks so ravished and destroyed. In particular it looks quite sunburned even though I don't spend a lot of time outside in the sun and use sunblock. Any tips or advice on my current regimen? What about my face pics? It looks extremely oily (flash from my camera reveals it, it's harder to notice without that, I think it might be the cetaphil I got today), it also looks very not smooth, and am I right in assuming a lot of that is PIH, especially on the sides? Or is it more severe scarring?

I'll keep this log updated!

-AVA

post-152332-1309663023_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1309663030_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1309663037_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1309663023_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1309663030_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1309663037_thumb.jpg

6 Weeks in. I decided to go see a derm (two in fact) as my life is destroyed. The depression is incredible, I only work, work out, and sulk at home and feel like crying. Girls treat me like I'm some disgusting piece of trash.

My derm gave me 150mg Doryx to be taken once a month and also Ziana gel to be used at night every other night and build up to using it every night. I am currently still using Dan's regimen in the morning (but have toned down the BP a lot, basically only a bit on the affected areas). On the nights I am not currently using Ziana I also use Dan's. The Doryx has absolutely no side effects on me and I don't feel much from the Ziana either. My eyes however have developed an irritated patch/rash that looks horrendous and I am freaking out about it. I don't know what to do, I've been applying aquaphor on it which my second derm gave me for my lips (too bad it happened after I saw the derms so I have to wait for my next appointments or find a time to call). Second derm told me the doryx + ziana I was been given by my first derm was good and she said to stay with that like he told me for 6 weeks and then she'd also check up on how I was doing.

If anybody knows what I can do about the eyes please tell me, it is hurting me a lot. My face looks awful.

post-152332-1310357383_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1310357401_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1310357412_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1310357383_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1310357401_thumb.jpg

post-152332-1310357412_thumb.jpg

It seems like you are using too many treatments. I think you need to choose between Dan's regimen and the dermatologists' regimen and stick with it. You never know if the two might be counteracting one another and thus irritating your skin even more.

But honestly, your skin doesn't look so bad judging by these pictures. I've seen worse.....I also use Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. Are you using the formula for dry, sensitive skin? The regular cetaphil moisturizing lotion has a slightly different formula and although it may say non-comedogenic, I think it is less non-comedogenic than the other formula. As for the greasiness, you should try using less? It looks like you put on too much lotion.

The regimen is working very well for me. I'm sorry by week 6 you don't feel the same! But I really think you need to choose between what your dermatologist is prescribing and Dan's regimen. I don't think you should be doing both at the same time.

My regimen, morning and night:

1. Neutrogena purifying facial cleanser

2. Dan's BP

3. Cetaphil moisturizing lotion for dry, sensitve skin

I skipped week 7 update because work was crazy. So, I have kept using 150 doryx every day and started to use Ziana every night. I only use a little bit of BP (dan's) in the morning as spot treatment but nothing else...my skin is no longer dry now that I'm not bathing it in BP so I don't really find the need to moisturize...I also barely use sunblock because this month work is crazy and I get in at 7 and leave after 10pm so I don't ever get sun exposure.

My face does not currently have any active breakouts but is severely scarred which is cause of much grief. It looks worse in real life than in the pictures for some reason. In any case, I will continue updating and eventually I will have my derm appointment mid-august.

Advice is always welcome...

pictures:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg703/scale...&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg204/scale...&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg43/scaled...&res=medium

I agree with the other poster.. it's better to stick with one regimen. And it seems like your derm's regimen is working better for you, so thats good.

Also, the girls who treat you like "some disgusting piece of trash" aren't worth your time :)

It has been a while since I updated but a lot has happened. I will post progress (or lack thereof to be more accurate) soon. I am quite struggling. I went to the derm and was prescribed Doryx & Zyana Gel for 6 weeks. I waited out 6 weeks and noticed little improvement. My skin got less torn and flaky because I was told to stop using too much BP. After 6 weeks though, I still had active acne so I was switched onto minocycline + epiduo gel for ANOTHER 6 weeks. Painful, but I recently just finished these 6 weeks and no improvement..in fact I got some cystic breakouts on my already heavily scarred the temple area and breakouts on my forehead...I have just been given instructions to go on Cefadroxil with a BP wash for another 6 weeks.....

Has anybody been through this? Are they just playing with me? I went to a second derm back during Doryx and she told me it was fine to be on the dosis they had given me, she then proposed fractional laser for scars but said I still had active acne...I don't know what to do...any words of advice for me? Has anyone been through something like this? I feel like a guinea pig and my face is horrible and it destroys my personal life every single day of it :(