Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dogan Chen

Red Scar/Injury from squeezing whitehead. Need advice.

I was trying to squeeze out a whitehead and ended up stupidly injuring the top layer of my skin by applying too much pressure with my fingernails. Sadly, my face would've been fine if I had just left it alone but I was determined and being stubborn which led to the damage.

I applied ice and neosporin to the V shaped red spot for about 3 days before the top layer of skin peeled away. I applied neosporin for the first week and switched over to Bio Oil ever since (applied twice daily for about 5 weeks). I also have been applying La Roche Posay SPF 50 SS to the area whenever I go out. It's been about a month and half and the area is still red/brownish but not raised. I also have some Olay Skin Discoloration Fighting Concentrate available to use but have not tried it yet...

I have darker skin so this mark is bugging the heck out of me as it's right in the middle of my forehead between my eyebrows. I've ordered some 8% AHA cream and 40% lactic acid solution after reading about their ability to help with hyperpigmentation and even skin tone. However, I just read from another site that it might not be a good idea to treat the scar/injury with chemical peels until a few months later.

Any advice?

post-153629-1309658682_thumb.jpg

post-153629-1309658682_thumb.jpg

I had a zit there before and it is a pretty sensitive area that can swell alot, I would just leave it alone and maybe put some hydrocortisone cream on it or more bio oil if it doesn't break you out. In a few months if it still looks discolored go for something stronger, but right now it is probably still healing naturally and doesn't need to be disturbed too much.

i would recommend stop using bio-oil! it is oil(go figure) and not good for your t-zone. you need to oils that are made naturally so stop using it, it's probably adding to the inflamation....try aloe vera, and at night- put some manuka honey on it for up to an hour. bio-oil is bad for something so soon, as i learned pretty quickly with my last injury.

i would recommend stop using bio-oil! it is oil(go figure) and not good for your t-zone. you need to oils that are made naturally so stop using it, it's probably adding to the inflamation....try aloe vera, and at night- put some manuka honey on it for up to an hour. bio-oil is bad for something so soon, as i learned pretty quickly with my last injury.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I posted this 5 weeks ago =(. I think the bio oil was starting to make me break out as well as I can see some new blackheads.

Been reading about hydrocortisone... I have some 1% cream at home but am hesitant to use it based on the possibility of skin thinning.

What kind of aloe vera should I use?

Also, should I stay away from 8% AHA creams and 40% lactic acid peels?

Edited by Dogan Chen

i don't know how your skin is, but i just recently stopped using everything aside from cleanser at night, toner, and moisturizer. all using as natural ingredients as possible..if you have bad active acne and already use them i think it would be ok to continue but not putting it on your mark....i suggest you go buy an actual aloe vera plant. Cut the leaf, get the inside part. Get a bandaid or cotton pad. Mash the inside part with honey/bit of ground cinammon and put it on there for an hour or so. I did this for the first time yesterday and my redness/coloration came back within 2 hours. it was like magic. this was after 5 weeks as well... i really hope you the best i know that you might feel self conscious about it, i know i did....let your body do it's thing, and use natural products, your body will thank you for it!