Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShayRobbie

How I deal with my acne emotionally

I'm only 15 so sorry if the info isnt that great its just my personal opinion and I thought it might help people

1. Confidence is key -I was sitting there looking at this girl who is one of the few people in school who has worse acne than me and was thinking "okay she has worse acne than me yet shes popular, pretty, confident and gets loads of guys, how can that be?" Then it dawned on me she has all this great stuff because she's got the right attitude and confidence, people see her like that because of her personality and dont see her acne. I'm very shy and this has almost certainly helped me become more confident about my acne.

2. Focus on your good features - When your getting ready in the morning don't just sit there staring at your skin thinking about how bad it is (this is what i used to do), focus on a feature about yourself that you love, for me its my hair, I make sure I take really good care of it and curl it or straighten it or do cute updos. If your a guy maybe you could think about getting into shape and working out to get a great body.

3. When your trying new treatments or medication for your acne, it sounds bad but don't be like "this is definatly going to clear me up" because Ive done that way too many times and been disapointed. Just think "im starting a new treatment it might clear me up or it might not but either way im going to try it" if you have this attitude you will never be disapointed because it will either do nothing and youll be the same as you were before or youll be improved.

4. When you see people with acne maybe even more severe than yours, do you ever think they look bad or ugly? because I know I don't. The thing is you are always going to see yourself worse than others see you. So remember this when your having a particulary bad day.

5. When I'm feeling really down about my acne I always look at these pics. They are my favourite singers Pixie Lott and Cher Lloyd with acne. This again sound bad but it really boosts my self esteem to see pretty girls with acne (Pixie has similar acne to me located on the chin and forehead)

post-150122-1309632992_thumb.jpg

post-150122-1309633039_thumb.jpg

post-150122-1309633049_thumb.jpg

post-150122-1309632992_thumb.jpg

post-150122-1309633039_thumb.jpg

post-150122-1309633049_thumb.jpg

Hey :)

Firstly, given that you mentioned your age, I reckon you're wise beyond your years! :clap:

You're totally right about the attitude and personality aspect of things. It's all about perception. I do a bit of photography work now and then and take pictures for a lot of local bands at their gigs. It's all a bit cliquey really, see a lot of the same people hanging out all the time, and half of them show up just to look col and be seen I think. Anyone, there's this one guy who knows everyone. He's 7 years younger than me but carries himself with so much more confidence. His skin isn't great and he's obviously overweight so, you know, his physical appearance and build aren't perfect, but, he knows everyone, he's always happy and smiling, always chatting to everybody, full of confidence and he's really popular. Plus his girlfriend is absolutely stunning.

I look at him, and a few other guys who are part of that scene, and think, 'They're easily 7 years younger than me, but they have so much more confidence than I do and everyone is drawn to them'.

It was only after joining the Org that I started to hear from people about this kind of subject, and read other peoples experiences, that I began to realise a lot of it was in my head. I was feeling down because I was making myself that way. I was lonely because I was deciding to spend my time alone, not because people didn't want to spend time with me. I did actually end up thinking, 'Nobody will like me, I'm not all that and I'm nothing to look at either, so they'll just laugh at me. In which case, I might as well just stay home'. Obviously, that's the worst possible attitude to have. Of course nobody is be able to like you if you're not even out there getting to know them! It definitely gets harder as you get older and I do wish I had started to fix this aspect of things for myself around 6 or 7 years ago, because the people I see of that age do have so much more experience on me already and it does bring me down. It's a vicious cycle which you have to break.

Slightly off topic, but it's good to see another fan of Pixie Lott on the Org! :D Funnily enough, I always think she's older than she actually is, and again it's probably down to the way she carries herself and things. Saw her live in Sheffield a while ago, great show. Got some really good pictures that night too!

Anyway, keep up the positive attitude, and I'll be giving it my best shot too! Tried a few times already this year and hit a few stumbling blocks. The negative, self-deprecating habits I picked and the negative cycle I allowed myself to fall into has lasted about 12 years now. I guess those habits are hard to break after such a long time, it's essentially like a re-invention and a whole new way of thinking, but I'll keep taking the small steps and I'm sure I can get there, just as we all can.

:)

i´m very glad you have a positive thinking about yourself and those with acne. i´m very confient about myself (not in a cocky way) but...i love myself and how god made me...and since i have alot of personality and i just want to be like me. i don´t want to be like any other girl on this planet people respect me for that. and they never even said anything about my acne. alot of boys wants to date me...so...when i see girls and boys telling me how cute i´m (which i don´t think i look that cute...just average) i just start to see that...people with acne might look different from others who have no acne but that doesn´t make them look ugly, nasty, etc. so...people with acne can look cute too..you have acne but acne doesn´t have you. i´ve seen millions of people with acne and they are beautiful.

i´ll tell you this short story...one time when i was in the airport (i was going to Texas) i saw this beautiful girl, tall, with long brown hair, green eyes she was just beautiful! and you know what? she not only had acne...but she had alot of cystic acne all over her face. and that didn´t make her look ugly or less than any other girl. it´s sad when people laugh at someone or say they are ugly just because they have...we all have acne...even the people who have the clearest face...they still have acne. acne it´s very normal nowdays...but sadly people judge others so much because of that.

even Cameron Diaz who is a beautiful actress she also has acne...and severe!. acne shouldn´t stop you from doing something or something you want to pursue in life. keep your head up!

Hey i am 15 and i just had one of the biggest breakout in my life and i have to go and perform tommorrow somewhere and now you just made me feel better thank you i love you/

Hey i am 15 and i just had one of the biggest breakout in my life and i have to go and perform tommorrow somewhere and now you just made me feel better thank you i love you/

I'm so glad I helped you, I'm having a bad breakout aswell at the moment but it doesnt matter I'm feeling so great and confident in myself lately :dance:

and good luck in your performance :clap:

Over the past few days, I am slowly trying to change the way I perceive myself and be more positive and proactive. This is a really good post and at the tender age of 15, you have a great mindset. Please keep it up!! :clap::clap::clap:

I can relate to numbers 1 and 2. Reason being, I always have a positive attitude with confidence to go along with it. Acne hasn't changed how my friends and family viewed me because of it.

Plus the feature i'm most focused on is my hair too. I always have a nice fresh cut and spike it up in the front.

"okay she has worse acne than me yet shes popular, pretty, confident and gets loads of guys, how can that be?"

For this, is always depends on where the acne is located rather then severity. If it is commonly found amongst the cheeks, it's usually no big deal at all. However, having breakouts in between the eyebrows or in awkward places such as upper lip is usually what gets people's attention on what is a bit gross.

"okay she has worse acne than me yet shes popular, pretty, confident and gets loads of guys, how can that be?"

For this, is always depends on where the acne is located rather then severity. If it is commonly found amongst the cheeks, it's usually no big deal at all. However, having breakouts in between the eyebrows or in awkward places such as upper lip is usually what gets people's attention on what is a bit gross.

Yeah I guess,but what I was saying was this girl has bad acne kind of everywhere and still manages to be pretty, popular, etc.

having said that I know what you mean about acne in awkward places, for me I only get it on my chin which is quite an awkward place but like I said in my post its all about confidence :whistle:

Acne sufferers worry they will be judged in public. Your personality will be revealed to those you interact with, but to the people you pass on the subway, there is no way of showing your inner beauty.

People with acne don't want to be seen with it. Acne is disgusting. Does that make sense?

Acne sufferers worry they will be judged in public. Your personality will be revealed to those you interact with, but to the people you pass on the subway, there is no way of showing your inner beauty.

People with acne don't want to be seen with it. Acne is disgusting. Does that make sense?

Yes, I agree with what your saying, strangers don't know your personality, but say if you saw someone with acne, whom you didn't know, but they had amazing hair, a really cool outfit and walked like they were extremly confident, you arn't really going to be paying much attention to their acne are you?

Then if you saw another person, who also had acne but walked with their head down, very slowly, unconfidently and didn't really try with their appearance, you are going to notice the acne a lot more, see what I'm saying?

Yes, I agree with what your saying, strangers don't know your personality, but say if you saw someone with acne, whom you didn't know, but they had amazing hair, a really cool outfit and walked like they were extremly confident, you arn't really going to be paying much attention to their acne are you?

Then if you saw another person, who also had acne but walked with their head down, very slowly, unconfidently and didn't really try with their appearance, you are going to notice the acne a lot more, see what I'm saying?

you are 100% right! confidence is the inner beauty and when you have that nobody really notice your acne unless they are fucking jealous of you and they say something negative just because they are envy.

i guess the next time i´ll walked down the streets of new york naked...maybe people won´t notice my acne. jajajajaja

Haha Im 15 too *high five!*

And you are completely right with all those points!

You can't really show your "inner beauty" to people you see on the subway, but you can work with what you got and exude confidence. Confidence is by far one of the most attractive traits a person can possess, and you can definitely appear confident to strangers. Plus, I would not go as far as to say strangers look at someone else's acne and think it's disgusting (unless they're a complete douche). Acne is such a common condition that people have become accustomed to seeing others with it. It's not like a rare skin disease that completely transforms your face; even with acne, people can still see other attractive features about yourself, like pretty eyes or lips.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't think acne is disgusting. Even when I didn't have acne I never thought that, and I often overlooked it on other people.

And as for the OP, it's great that you've found such helpful ways to deal with your acne! I do similar techniques and it really helps.