Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James Small

Natural sugars and acne?

Hey everyone!

I've been cutting out all sugars from my diet for just under a week now and have been eating a lot more fruit/vegetables.

I was just wondering if the naturally occurring sugars within certain fruits/vegetables can ultimately cause pimples to form like normal sugars?

I ask this because since cutting out sugary foods (and wheat) and eating more fruits/vegetables I've actually been getting more spots.

Part of me does think this might be my body detoxing?

Any ideas? :)

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Hey everyone!

I've been cutting out all sugars from my diet for just under a week now and have been eating a lot more fruit/vegetables.

I was just wondering if the naturally occurring sugars within certain fruits/vegetables can ultimately cause pimples to form like normal sugars?

I ask this because since cutting out sugary foods (and wheat) and eating more fruits/vegetables I've actually been getting more spots.

Part of me does think this might be my body detoxing?

Any ideas? :)

Natural sugars can impact acne if you consume them in high glycemic meals, drinks and snacks.

Sugar in fruit affects my acne, I think in some cases more than what I've seen refined sugar do.

Could be in my head of course but I'm staying well clear of fruit for a couple of months.

But agree the GL thing has a part to play.

Not all sugars like the natural sugars found in fruit. In fact, elevating the amount of fruit you eat to stop acne is good. The thing is to eliminate fruit juices. This helps to stop acne because the fruit juices contain a lot of unnecessary sugar, so it is better to eat an apple than it is to drink a glass of apple juice.

Sugar in fruit affects my acne, I think in some cases more than what I've seen refined sugar do.

Some people have a problem metabolizing fructose, which is done by the liver. You may want to limit high fructose fruits. And consider habits and nutrients that improve it. Taurine, natural circadian cycle, nutrients that improve liver function, etc. There's info on that here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html But I'm afraid it's scattered throughout the digestion, circadian cycle, blood sugar and other sections.

Some people have a problem metabolizing fructose, which is done by the liver. You may want to limit high fructose fruits. And consider habits and nutrients that improve it. Taurine, natural circadian cycle, nutrients that improve liver function, etc. There's info on that here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html But I'm afraid it's scattered throughout the digestion, circadian cycle, blood sugar and other sections.

Yeah I wondered if it was just the fructose part of it. I can eat fruit and my face is a total nightmare, 'normal' sugar and i can go a few days on it before something happens.

Yeah circadian is a bit arsed at the moment cos i'm living in iceland with makeshift curtains. I crave dark :)

Thanks for the info tho.

I don't think citrus agrees with me either. berries seem ok in small doses but not if mixed with fats

Little late to the party, but I'll weigh in and say that for some people, fruit can definitely be worse than artificial sugars. Fructose is processed differently to other sugars (in the liver, as alternavista said) and some people don't handle it well, myself included. When I switched my cereal to fruit in the morning I had some of my worst acne ever. I'm also one of the people that taurine (which helps the liver deal with sugar) works on. So if you find that fruit is breaking you out, that might be something to try.

Fruit may be all natural but it still has its flaws. Everyone should be eating fruit but the right types of fruits and in the right amounts.

Little late to the party, but I'll weigh in and say that for some people, fruit can definitely be worse than artificial sugars. Fructose is processed differently to other sugars (in the liver, as alternavista said) and some people don't handle it well, myself included. When I switched my cereal to fruit in the morning I had some of my worst acne ever. I'm also one of the people that taurine (which helps the liver deal with sugar) works on. So if you find that fruit is breaking you out, that might be something to try.

I'm so glad I found this out, I thought I was going crazy. I figured natural sugar would be better but it just doesn't agree with me at all.

At least I've figured it out. I'll try the taurine idea

Guest davidtheskinking

Great question james, you are on the right path.

For some people it's the body detoxing, for others it's not.

If you have candida and this is the cause of your acne then your body's candida (yeast infection) will be fed by sugar including natural sugars from fruits.

So in this case, you want eliminate fruits and focus solely on vegetables and superfoods.

Also, in this case get probiotics in your diet to flush the dead fungus/bacteria from candida out of your body.

I have made a few videos about this on my youtube channel, it's a very interesting thought.

Hope this helps you in some way,

David

i can only speak for myself, but i do find i breakout when im eating more sugar in general.

Yeah I'm wondering now if I incorrectly assumed I had candida acne rather than just a real intolerance/reaction to fructose.

I still get acne that isn't sugar related but this is a real find for me!

Had some fruits yesterday as they were in my lunch and had a couple of whiteheads this morning.

I think the sugar based acne is mainly smaller and goes away much quicker. The dairy/gluten (still not figured out the worst of either) causes much bigger angry spots...