Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
datsnotmyname

Addressing Accutane insomnia

Has anyone had any lucky remedying their insomnia from Accutane? If so, what worked for you?

I was on a course of Accutane earlier this year (also completed a full course about 7 years ago), but I quit the latest course early due to negative side effects, one of which was insomnia. It's been three months since I quit and I still have difficulty sleeping.

My insomnia was worse while I was on the drug. My heart would race, I'd get weird muscle spasms and it would take hours for me to get to bed. In fact, there were several nights when I just wasn't be able to sleep at all.

Since stopping the drug, my sleeping problem has become a bit less severe but it's definitely still a problem.

I asked my doctor about this about a month ago. He gave me sleeping tips and sleeping pills. The tips (regular bed time, reading before bed, etc.) haven't helped, and probably aren't effective for Accutane related insomnia anyways. The sleeping pills helped in general (one night they didn't) but I ran out and in any case I don't see them as a permanent solution.

I'd appreciate any advice/support from people who have suffered from this!

Try some all natural cherry juice, You can get it from any nutrition or all natural store. Take a bottle of water, drink it down to the top of the label, add the cherry juice and drink about 1/4 cup once or twice a day. Cherry juice is a natural melatonin.

Good Luck

Try some all natural cherry juice, You can get it from any nutrition or all natural store. Take a bottle of water, drink it down to the top of the label, add the cherry juice and drink about 1/4 cup once or twice a day. Cherry juice is a natural melatonin.

Good Luck

That's very interesting. I'll run by GNC tomorrow and see if they have this. Any recommendation on when during the day to take this?

Thanks for the advice! Insomnia has been brutal for me. I'll update this w/ results.

I thought it might be helpful to provide an update for those of you who are interested.

It's been about three months since my aborted course of Accutane and my insomnia finally seems to have resolved itself--not because of anything that I've done, but (I think) because of the passage of time.

Unfortunately, cherry juice did not do much for me. It was tasty though! Also, I hear it has certain other health benefits.

During my period of insomnia, I used Ambien on an as-needed basis. It was very effective in helping me sleep. Honestly, I wasn't too happy about using one prescription medication to help with the side effects of another, but I felt I had little choice.