Notifications
Clear all

Low white blood cell (leukocyte) count

MemberMember
(@flying_high)

Posted : 07/01/2011 5:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I just finished my third month of Accutane(see dosage below) and my doctor called me today and told me to stop taking it for a month because my leukocytes kept getting lower and lower.I am terrified!!!So far my face cleared up really well, I haven't got a new pimple since month one, I do have red marks and scarring. I am experiencing some side effects like tiredness, headaches, lack of concentration, mild depression.But my dose is not high and I do skip pills sometimes, maybe once a week. I work out, eat healthy most of the time and don't drink more than a beer a week.I couldn't talk to my doctor but I talked to one of her assistants and asked if there's something I can do to increase the count of leukocytes and he said "NO". They are letting me pick up the medicine(so the ipledge doesn't kick me out) but they won't even let me take one pill(40mg) a week.I'm afraid my acne will come back

Do you guys know if there's some kind of food or over the counter medicine I can take to increase my leukocytes level?Should I keep taking Accutane like once a week even when my doctor said not to I tried to find information on the web and there are some white blood cell count boosts but prescription is needed and usually those are given to cancer patients on chemo

MemberMember
(@flying_high)

Posted : 07/05/2011 11:10 pm

Nobody?

Oh well, I got a big monster pimple on my check:( Decided I won't stop it, I took a pill today and will continue taking it once a week. I'm still very upset, it was working so well...

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 07/06/2011 8:17 pm

Your doctor did the right thing. My doctor continued to prescribe me Isotretinoin even when he had already know that something is not right.

MemberMember
(@flying_high)

Posted : 07/29/2011 4:59 pm

It's been a month since I've been taken off Accutane. I haven't got any break out, but my oil started coming back and I don't like that. I was just told that my blood work is normal now and I can continue my course, yay!!! :)

I am a little worried though, what if my white blood cells get low again?Isn't it dangerous?

MemberMember
(@datsnotmyname)

Posted : 01/17/2012 3:23 am

Very dangerous! I'm glad to hear that you listened to your doctor. There are some people who wouldn't have been so strong. Also glad to hear your levels improved!

MemberMember
(@aileend)

Posted : 01/22/2019 12:09 pm

On 7/30/2011 at 12:59 AM, Flying_HiGh said:

It's been a month since I've been taken off Accutane. I haven't got any break out, but my oil started coming back and I don't like that. I was just told that my blood work is normal now and I can continue my course, yay!!! :)

I am a little worried though, what if my white blood cells get low again?Isn't it dangerous?

@Flying_HiGh 

sorry to bother you, but do you have an update? Did you have any more issues after going back to Accutane? 

I know it™s been years, but in in the exact same situation now, and I don™t want to stop taking it! 

Thanks!