Notifications
Clear all

oil/sebum!!

MemberMember
(@r374rd)

Posted : 06/30/2011 1:40 am

hey all,

Is there anything i can use to reduce the amount of oil/sebum my skin produces, its destroying my complexion. i dont have very good skin tone or texture, but the oil is just making matters even worst. im 29 now, surely this should of ended when i was in my teens. what is causing so much oil, what is it in my body that isnt working right?

i have been on accutane when i had bad acne in my teens and that cleared me up and stopped the oil, but now the oils back and has been for a few years. ive tried mega dose vit B5 and im currently trying zinc, but havent seen great results from that. i avoid over washing my face, twice max a day.

any advice would be great. thanx

MemberMember
(@pellydog)

Posted : 07/06/2011 2:02 pm

i'm the same, try vitammin a OD and i've been on B5 for a month and it hasn't done much for my soft closed comedones

MemberMember
(@narcosynthesis)

Posted : 07/06/2011 2:08 pm

I've been using epsom salt and it immediately started working to reduce the oil on the surface of my skin. I've been leaving it on overnight so I'm really not all that impressed that it would have that effect. Any kind of powder is going to suck up moisture.

I've been taking one cup of water and adding about three tablespoons of the epsom salt into it. Then I microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes or until boiling point so the salt completely dissolves. Let it cool down. Take a tissue or cotton ball and repeatedly dip it in the solution and wipe down wherever you're broke out. I find it easier to just ring the water out and let it drip down my back than trying to reach that area with my hands.

The epsom salt water will be absorbed and leave behind some chalky residue on your skin. Honestly, I think that's why I'm noticing less oil- because I'm leaving this salt residue on my skin all night long. Even still- its worth a try.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/03/2013 11:59 am

I've been using epsom salt and it immediately started working to reduce the oil on the surface of my skin. I've been leaving it on overnight so I'm really not all that impressed that it would have that effect. Any kind of powder is going to suck up moisture.

I've been taking one cup of water and adding about three tablespoons of the epsom salt into it. Then I microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes or until boiling point so the salt completely dissolves. Let it cool down. Take a tissue or cotton ball and repeatedly dip it in the solution and wipe down wherever you're broke out. I find it easier to just ring the water out and let it drip down my back than trying to reach that area with my hands.

The epsom salt water will be absorbed and leave behind some chalky residue on your skin. Honestly, I think that's why I'm noticing less oil- because I'm leaving this salt residue on my skin all night long. Even still- its worth a try.

Hey this looks interesting, I have very oily skin and am constantly looking for a solution. Have you been still doing this? And what, if anything have you noticed in terms of how it affected your skin? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 04/03/2013 12:52 pm

Ever thought of low dose Accutane?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/03/2013 3:40 pm

Numerous Times. I've done endless amounts of research on it, and the bottom line is it may work or you may have severe, disabling side effects. It may do nothing, or it may be crippling; there is no way to predict it. I can't deal with bone and muscle problems or low energy levels. I'd rather have oily skin than have to give up sports and the gym, and so when I hear about people with joint pain and low energy I want to try it less and less.

I am attempting to exhaust every possible remedy, known and unknown, before I take the accutane gamble.

MemberMember
(@kelseylee)

Posted : 04/03/2013 4:08 pm

You don't have to go on accutane--have you thought about going to an endocronologist? They can likely help you figure out why you're hormones/system is producing more sebum. Also, two supplements that help with oil levels are Vitamin D and Cod Liver Oil (DHA/EPA). Being deficient in vitamin d can make your body produce more oil and not getting enough Omega 3's (Cod Liver Oil) can do the same. best of luck!!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/03/2013 4:31 pm

You don't have to go on accutane--have you thought about going to an endocronologist? They can likely help you figure out why you're hormones/system is producing more sebum. Also, two supplements that help with oil levels are Vitamin D and Cod Liver Oil (DHA/EPA). Being deficient in vitamin d can make your body produce more oil and not getting enough Omega 3's (Cod Liver Oil) can do the same. best of luck!!

And yes, I have to imagine I have high Testosterone levels. But for guys, that is a double edged sword. It means more muscle mass, less body fat, and "alpha male" type behavior, but then at the same time it is responsible for acne and oily skin. For me to clinically lower my testosterone levels would probably mean I'd lose hard earned muscle, NOT GOOD. lol

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/03/2013 5:33 pm

You're definitely doing the right thing by only washing twice a day, but what products are you using? If they're overdrying and irritating, that may be causing your skin to produce more oils.

I had the worst oily skin ever...my face felt like somebody had poored lard all over it. I've now started washing with only water and now it's completely matte. Not sure about the science behind it, but I know it's something to do with the PH/acid mantle of your skin and stripping it of it's natural oils.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/03/2013 7:06 pm

You're definitely doing the right thing by only washing twice a day, but what products are you using? If they're overdrying and irritating, that may be causing your skin to produce more oils.

I had the worst oily skin ever...my face felt like somebody had poored lard all over it. I've now started washing with only water and now it's completely matte. Not sure about the science behind it, but I know it's something to do with the PH/acid mantle of your skin and stripping it of it's natural oils.

Really? I tried that and got nothing but new acne lol.

When you say your face was oily, how oily was it? I think many people say they're skin is oily, and that may be true. But on a relative scale your oily may be a 5 and someone else's may be a 9 haha.

While it may reduce irritation to use less products, if you have oily skin from gentics and hormones it won't change very much.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/04/2013 7:15 am

At one point my oily skin was definitely a 9-10. I agree though, I had oily skin because I washed it too much. I used face wipes and really strong astringent pads all day long which probably stripped my face of all its oils. Within 5-10 minutes my skin would be twice as oily.

If yours is genetic, then yeah products won't really make a difference. Mine was definitely self-inflicted. I've read a lot about raw food diets for oily skin, not sure if it would work for you or not.

Hope you find something that helps :)

MemberMember
(@demaguil)

Posted : 04/06/2013 7:03 pm

i've been taking low dose of accutane for oily skin,,

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/07/2013 10:07 am

Is it doing anything? Any side effects?

MemberMember
(@demaguil)

Posted : 06/03/2013 7:43 am

Is it doing anything? Any side effects?

it keeps my oily skin at bay,,the side effects is only dry lips..

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/06/2013 1:23 pm

Fish oil if you can handle it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/06/2013 9:44 pm

This really made a difference for you? I've read that for some it does help, but others had it make thier skin more oily.

What amount are you taking per day? If you don't mind me asking.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/06/2013 10:24 pm

This really made a difference for you? I've read that for some it does help, but others had it make thier skin more oily.

It made a HUGE difference, I never even had to blot my face but the burps were horrific! Sometimes I could get them to go away by taking it before eating. But the burps were so horrible that I couldn't handle it. I can't find the brand anywhere but it was Alaskan Salmon Oil. It came in a clear bottle with a blue label and the gel capsules were orange. If I can find the brand I'll let you know.

I did however try the nature made burpless fish oil and it didn't do crap for my oil. It didn't make me burp but I wasn't getting the benefits AT ALL!

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 06/07/2013 12:01 am

hey all,

Is there anything i can use to reduce the amount of oil/sebum my skin produces, its destroying my complexion. i dont have very good skin tone or texture, but the oil is just making matters even worst. im 29 now, surely this should of ended when i was in my teens. what is causing so much oil, what is it in my body that isnt working right?

i have been on accutane when i had bad acne in my teens and that cleared me up and stopped the oil, but now the oils back and has been for a few years. ive tried mega dose vit B5 and im currently trying zinc, but havent seen great results from that. i avoid over washing my face, twice max a day.

any advice would be great. thanx

careful with megadosing on B5, hair loss is a common side effect.

MemberMember
(@pooratbest)

Posted : 06/07/2013 11:01 am

I'd like to point you guys over tot his thread I've made about some scientific research that's in progress.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 06/07/2013 12:55 pm

Epsom salt baths could help with the oil on your skin, just for 20 minutes a day. The oil will decrease as you get older, and you may be thankful one day for having oilier skin because people that do usually have less wrinkles lol. There's really not much you can do to decrease oil production, a female could take bcps to help with this but all you can really try taking is zinc and vitamin A to try to lower oil production. As for a previous post, taking any sort of oil supplement usually made my skin worse so hit or miss.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/07/2013 6:02 pm

It made a HUGE difference, I never even had to blot my face but the burps were horrific! Sometimes I could get them to go away by taking it before eating. But the burps were so horrible that I couldn't handle it. I can't find the brand anywhere but it was Alaskan Salmon Oil. It came in a clear bottle with a blue label and the gel capsules were orange. If I can find the brand I'll let you know.

I did however try the nature made burpless fish oil and it didn't do crap for my oil. It didn't make me burp but I wasn't getting the benefits AT ALL!

Thanks for the info. I wonder why the Salmon oil helped but the regular fish oil didn't? That's interesting, I'll be looking into that.

LOL and yea the burps sound gross haha. I'll have a constant supply of gum on me if I give those a shot ha.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/13/2013 11:09 am

Thanks for the info. I wonder why the Salmon oil helped but the regular fish oil didn't? That's interesting, I'll be looking into that.

LOL and yea the burps sound gross haha. I'll have a constant supply of gum on me if I give those a shot ha.

I did find that it helped to pop it into the freezer before you take it, and also take it right before eating. This really helps with the burps.

I also found out what brand it was! It's called Wild Alaska Omega. I have no idea where to buy it though.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/13/2013 2:03 pm

I did find that it helped to pop it into the freezer before you take it, and also take it right before eating. This really helps with the burps.

I also found out what brand it was! It's called Wild Alaska Omega. I have no idea where to buy it though.

Cool thanks.

And yea that's what Amazon.com is for; you can buy pretty much anything there LOL.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/18/2013 5:09 pm

High doses of MSM (organic sulfur) has been shown to reduce sebum production.

The main thing to do would just be to try to keep your skin hydrated/moisturized. Drink lots of water, which is often overlooked. Consider using natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil as moisturizers. Most cream/lotion moisturizers, even the ones for "sensitive skin," even though they claim to be noncomedogenic, usually end up clogging pores due to all the emulsifiers, sulfates, and fillers in them. Natural oils like jojoba oil actually emulate the chemical composition of natural sebum, so the sebaceous glands stop producing excess oil. The only reason they do to begin with is usually to overcompensate for dryness, or because pores are clogged.

A toner like Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, an AHA treatment like Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment, and regular exfoliation will also help.