Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

Do you feel like acne has destroyed your personality?

I've been thinking about this some more, kind of trying to work out just how my skin problems have influenced things. Mainly because I've come to the conclusion that I need to make changes in order to feel better about myself.

I suppose that when I'm comfortable around people, talking to them, having fun, whatever, they don't even notice my skin. They see it, of course, but they'll probably only ever give it a passing thought. The problem is that I can't seem to convince myself of that. I can't seem to get around this idea I have that people will think I'm ugly or that they will laugh at me. I can't seem to believe that any other positive qualities I may have could outweigh the negative look of my skin.

Just end up thinking, 'Why would people want to hang out with me or whatever when they they could spend time with people who have clear skin instead?'

I know it's a totally stupid thing to think, it's not even true, and I'm probably doing many many great people out there a disservice by feeling that way sometimes. Just goes so show how my perception of things has become so screwed by it.

I don't think it's anything really to do with my personality. I think it's all just made me paranoid and hate myself. I sometimes see that people notice that aspect of things, looking kind of paranoid in public. Sometimes I might find myself in a social situation where I've been asked to take photographs, so I'm there by myself and I'll think, 'OK, I'll see if I can talk to some people', but I always end up feeling like people have seen me and are already making fun of me in their minds. And it's like I don't know what to do or say without coming across as a loner or a total oddball.

And every now and then, maybe some ignorant fool will mock me for having long hair or something, and although that's nothing to do with my skin, it kind of strengthens my theory that I have something to be paranoid about. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, I take those kind of things to heart I guess. And certainly being around people like that when they're in groups, it kind of makes me feel like they're going to gang up on me. Takes me back to my dreaded school days...

The bulk of what I deal with in terms of how I feel about myself doesn't seem to be acne related these days. Once upon a time, but it's secondary now. Maybe I just see my acne as a physical representation of how I feel about myself inside.

Edited by PaulH85

Yeah my personality has completely changed since I started to get acne 4 years ago. :(

It has turned me into a loner and made me shy away from any social interaction that involves speaking to someone.

Life sucks at the moment but hopefully, when my face has cleared, I can start living my life again.

Edited by Acne F*** Off

I feel the same way completely. I'm also 23 and i just don't feel as if i can create an intresting conversation with other people especially girls. I just don't feel confident and have trouble carrying a conversation like you described. I'm not sure if i can change, I hope so but i can't see me being any different anytime soon :wall:

Edited by HeadUp

Yeah, its definitely ruined my social life. I came to realize how seriously I let it affect me when I caught myself thinking "ZOMG, this treatment might actually work and I might actually be able to enjoy socializing with people again!". Its like I've been constantly waiting outside a door that leads to happiness- fearful that I'm not ready to walk through yet.

I definitely feel like shit when my skin gets especially bad. Even when I'm hanging around my closest friends, I still just want to go home and go to sleep. I haven't always been like this. I used to be the person that never shuts up and would always be dicking around. Now I don't even dare take the focal point of an audience.

@Narcosynthesis: same here. i have NO interest in going out with my friends

I feel like i don't know how to talk to everybody . When i'm talking to sb, all i care is "do my face/ make up look ok to them?", and "did they notice something on my face". And i don't have the gut to look to people in their eyes, i always keep my head down :( I keep a "safe" distance from them so they won't see through my bad skin. When i have something interesting to say i just end up shut my mouth so i won't draw any attention. And i refuse to go out when i don't have to go to school, just waste my foundation and make my pore clog :sigh:

Edited by anniej

In all honesty, I was still sort of boring and didn't have an exciting personality before I had acne lol, but having acne has just made things harder. It just makes me have very little confidence and makes menervous in social situations since I cannot stop thinking about how bad my acne looks. It makes me run from social situations and like try to hide my face from people. I am an introvert and have always been shy, so I think I will always be a bit uncomfortable in social situations, but having acne all the time just makes things even harder.

When I am ready to go out to face the world and have like convinced myself to go out even if I am nervous, I look in the mirror and see my face and all my temporary confidence dissapears and I hide myself away again. Probably my acne doesnt bother as many people as I think it does, but I see people noticing it when its bad. I mean it's human nature to be curious and maybe most people dont care after they see it, but the fact that nearly every one I meet takes a second to do a double take at my face because of my acne just hurts. It makes me just want to hide so I dont have to deal with it. Ugh. lol. I know I should just somehow learn to not give a fuck and go out even when my face looks awful, but I cannot seem to just do that. I feel like I cannot regain any type of social life unitil my face clears up. When I used to have some type of social life back in high school I cancelled on my friends really often when I would break out and eventually my friendships just got strained and I just became more and more alone. Even though I am an introvert I was able to make people laugh sometimes and had some friends. With my acne though I just am always trying to not draw attention to myself so I talk a lot less and it sucks.

Through college I have basically just been a loner because I hide myself away so much. I don't really know now how to get out of this isolation and meet people when I have such low amounts of confidence and cannot get over how bad my acne looks. I am trying out new acne medications to help me clear up, but unless I get lucky I doubt things will get much better. I've been trying different medications for 10 years and nothing has really cleared up my acne enough. Heh this post is kind of a downer... sorry haha. I had to vent a bit. Um yea so stay positive! lol I fail at lying.

Edited by dieacnedie!

at first i was really self conscious about it and it lowered my confidence, but after a life changing experience, i realized that life is too short to care about such a petty thing (looking at the big picture). think about all the opportunities you miss in life b/c of acne, was it worth it? should you live your life worried about what others think of you or how you want to live it?

Kind of. With acne, I am so much more self conscious. I won't look people in the eyes when I talk to them and don't talk near as much as I don't want to draw attention to my myself and my face. I also spend so much of my time trying to find ways to get rid of it and it takes away from time I could spend doing much more productive or fun things.

Guest davidtheskinking

I used to avoid pictures, talk looking away and just skip certain social things b/c of my acne... but just know that as time it can and will always get better.

Keep that positive attitude, mindset and outlook and the law of attraction brings things into your universe to fulfill that gap.