Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

Do you feel like acne has destroyed your personality?

i feel like i have zero personality, really boring. I have been able to communicate with people, something that was hard a couple years ago because of social anxiety and shyness, but now i am able to talk with people easily, but i just seem really boring. I was never this way before acne, that shit destroyed my personality, also it is pretty hard to carry a conversation, or keep the conversation interesting. It is okay for a little bit but then it always dies, damn, these are weird problems for someone to be having at 23. Never gonna get a girl

I remember a few years ago when i only had acne on my forehead. It was no biggie cause i covered it with my bangs. Other than that my face was pretty good. So the only thing i worried about was people discovering my forehead. But as careful as i am a few people did. (like one) She pointed it out (duh i think i know my face more than you >_>) But now my acne spread all over my face basically and i dont think i can hide my face with hair anymore. So i became very self conscious. When friends as me to go out i tell them im busy etc, but the truth is i just basically stay on the computer. I shut everyone out of my life which is pretty sad, but the person to blame is me. Ah but theres nothing i can do life moves on, i got to make the best i have now.

I guess so...since I have no confidence, and now anxiety issues from acne its hard to keep a conversation, some times I get nervous. But that might be because I shut myself in on the computer for years, rather than the actual acne being the cause :dan:

I wouldn't say acne ruined the personality. I believe it was your psychological problem with dealing with the acne that caused some problems. If you have an negative attitude and honestly think that you are boring, then yeah you will be boring. But the truth is, just about everyone has the ability to be interesting to people.

I can tell you that there are some people who can talk to just about anyone with interesting conversations and some that can't, but the skill can be learned by almost anyone. If you have anxiety problems or something, you can always seek help. If you keep telling yourself that you won't change though, you won't it's up to you. No one can do it for you.

I use to have trouble even talking with my friends. I knew I was really boring. When I starting working out and learning how to fight (mixed martial arts), things really changed. Now I can go to just about anyone and make them laugh or have an interesting conversation. I show a lot of confidence. As men, we are lucky because people see us more for our personality. Use this gender advantage, along with the 10000 other advantages we have over women ;) and you'll be fine. Don't give up.

Find something that makes you feel good about yourself and you'll survive.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I think it's all about confidence and who you feel comfortable around. I am only myself with my closest friends, not even always with my family. Around people I don't know who aren't used to my skin, I'm too scared to be myself and I know I seem boring.

I wouldn't say acne has destroyed my personality, it's more or less supressed it. My true personality shines with my immediate family and a few individuals on a one to one basis. Apart from those people no one really knows who I am and that can be frustrating when you are having an on going battle with acne, I'm often overlooked. I can think of two examples where I have been perceived as strange and shy. Of course this made me sad because I'm not strange at all lol nor am I shy, just introverted. But when I take a step back I can understand why those people thought that at the time. Ultimately acne has eroded parts of my personality and diminished my social skills. I'm not really sure how to act around people even when my skin improves there's this element of awkwardness, which makes socializing a nightmare. That's something I'll have to work on though.......

Edited by Lady_C

I'm 23-years-old as well. I used to focus on my poor communication skills a whole lot. It brought me down both personally and professionally. Now I try to keep an open mind and tell myself that I have to practice my conversational skills. I feel that I am getting better because I've become more proactive about it. Also, I'm getting some feedback from my friends and strangers :)

Speaking is an art. Practice will make you aware of what to do and what not to do. You can do it :)

Edited by sagan

Guest Timehealsall

acne destroyed my personality and my life

My personality and characteristics are still there but I hide them so that I don't draw attention to myself. I guess I just became withdrawn because of my acne. I initially did that for protection I suppose. Assumed that people would make fun of me and my skin if I made myself known, so I hid away. Then I kind of forgot how to be sociable and stuff.

Personalities influence the things we do and the hobbies and interests we have. I wasn't taking part on anything or pursuing any interests so my personality wouldn't shine through. I would never have anything to talk about if people asked me what I was up to. That is interpreted as being boring. Doesn't make me a boring person, just meant I didn't have much to say for myself.

My skin broke out badly over the weekend in relation to what I'm used to. It hasn't been like this for a long time. I made things worse of course and made it painful. Sat at work yesterday, I just wanted to hide away somewhere and cry. Didn't speak to anyone at all.

Over night, things are looking better and I've got the inflammation down. Doesn't appear to be anything active and it's all starting to heal again. Doesn't look great, but I feel a little better.

Several people have asked me at work this morning if I'm alright. They asked what was wrong and why I was really quiet yesterday. Just goes to show that people probably aren't all that bothered by it. Sure, they notice, but it's probably just a passing thought. They're more interested in who I am as a person, not my skin.

I became very bitter about my skin, like I was being punished. I eventually started to feel worthless and began to hate myself. I still don't feel of any great worth to anyone and can't really see why anyone would want to know me, but I battle on and and I'll try and get to where I want to be and learn to be happy with myself. Those negative feelings and any degree of hate are very ugly as far as personality traits are concerned, so I always make sure that people witness that aspect of me as little as possible because it's not fair on them and it isn't who I want to be.

I always feel kind of guarded about that. More often than not I tend to keep myself to myself simply because the number of people I feel comfortable around is very small. In fact, there's only one person, my sister. The anxiety doesn't get the better of me to the point where the thought of being around people freaks me out, but I do find a need to kind of plan ahead and think about who I'm going to encounter during my day, in terms of how relaxed I feel I can allow myself to be around certain people.

Your core personality is still intact. Only way to lose that is to change it to something else because situation arises for a change.. and that takes a miracle / oppsoite of miracle. Acne isn't such a thing, although it may seem to be.

Now there is personality and then there is talking to people.

You don't have to change your personality to talk to a girl, but you do have to change the way you talk to a girl rather than your boys. Girls for instance, do not wanna hear honesty for the most part, they want to hear lies to make them feel better. You can't goo up to a girl and be like 'hey i heard you totally flunked your finals dude, that sucks, what happened, did you drink too much or somethin?" lol.. girl would be like "you think im an alcoholic, ughhh" *walks off* ... lol it happens.

As a friend once told me, " girls are just really really gay men but with a female body" your not intimated by a gay man are you?

Edited by Wangod

I believe I still have a personality and the only reason is because of my friends. I love them to death, and they are the only reason I can go on living. I can be my extremely weird self around them (they are some strange ones too ) They look past my acne, and some even have problems with it themselves. We're all very supportive of each other, and actually, I don't even think about acne with them because we're having so much fun!

Unless someone brings it up, and it's usually to ask for advice. The other day my friend, who has gorgeous tan skin told me she was getting a lot of bumps around her hair line (barely visible comedones) , and I knew exactly the cause, it was her hair, its kinda oily and shes a lazy fart that needs to wash it more often :lol: (The only reason I can say that is because we've been friends since 5th grade, paha)

She laughed and so did her mom, and she's the best friend ever!

Whenever I'm not around my friends, I used to take a deep plunge. I'll be home alone, and just be so stressed and sad, wishing that it would go away. Sometimes I would be angry at myself, angry at my reflection. But I'm finally starting to get through this. My acne is the same, but my self-confidence is healing ever so slowly. I'm becoming less stressed about it, trying to think of other things (usually watching anime takes my mind off it!), and just trying to have a good time. I'll be a little more stressed once school starts, but that'll blow over, cause I'll have my friends right there with me! I know as soon as I'll be cleared up, my personality would still be much the same as it is now, minus the self-consciousness. And its all thanks to my friends. :)

I don't think it's acne necessarily- it's the depression, anxiety and obsessive thinking that come with it. And if it goes on for a few years then yeah, you feel pretty damn hollow and boring because it hasn't allowed your brain to think about anything else. Like you said PaulH85, our interests and hobbies are what allows our personality to shine through- if you don't have any, it's hard for other people and even yourself to know what your personality is like.

That happened to me in my late teens and early twenties (not bc of acne but body dismorphia and disordered eating). That empty feeling is one of the worst things I've ever felt. I hardly have any memories of my last year of highschool because it's like I wasn't really there- I was in this awful limbo where all I could think about was my body and my (perceived) flaws.

I am sooo glad I'm not in that place anymore! Recovering from this IS possible. Just keep developing your mind and your interests. Like anime. :) what anime do you watch Taco girl?

And wow wangod. Just wow. :shock:

Edited by akko

Yesterday, I once again cried in a dark corner and kept repeating to myself: "I just want to live a normal life, feel happy and confident again. I want myself back."

Yeah, I was crying because of my skin.

I have never been a confident person. Well, maybe when I was a kid. But ever since puberty my life has gone downhills. People have called me names, have told me several times that I am ugly etc. - and then acne makes things even worse. Before I had acne, I was able to cope with life somehow - I tried to exclude the people, who kept being mean to me, out of my life and included nicer people to my circle. I wasn't 100% confident but I enjoyed being with friends.

After acne surfaced, I pretty much started to collapse mentally. I am more of a loner now, even though I still try to keep in touch with other people. But sometimes, like many of us, I keep telling my friends "I am busy" and other bs when they want to meet me. It's not like I didn't want to meet them (I would love to have fun with my friends again), it's just that I hate myself to the point where I think other people will hate me as well (which may not be true but, irrational as the human mind is, I keep thinking like this).

And yes, I am so much in despair that I keep thinking about suicide almost daily. I am too weak to commit that, though. Somehow, I keep being hopeful that maybe.. Just maybe some day my life could be better. That day just seems to be so far away. It saddens me even more.

So I definitely think that my personality has been "destroyed". I guess if acne ever goes away, I can rebuild my personality. There are days when I feel confident, even now, so I am sure that if acne goes away, I will feel... like a million dollars.

Edited by gayhenna

The only way I think it has destroyed my personality is that I think my friends get annoyed with me when I ask them things like "does my skin look ok?" or "did my foundation come off?" or if I refuse to take pictures because I'm afraid my skin will look bad, I think they get kind of sick of it.

I mean, I guess I would be more out-going with strangers if my skin was perfect, but not that much more, because now I just suck it up and talk to people, and try to forget about my acne :)

acne has turned me into more of a recluse. i get anxious in social situations anyway, but i believe acne makes this worse as it knocks my confidence to a degree i feel too ugly to face people.

But to all of us here having issues facing the world, all I can say if tough it out, suck it up, and just get out there. I did so yesterday, and no one made me feel uncomfortable. I'm even looking my parents in the eye, face to face. Seriously, it's just acne. No one who matters actually cares. And if they do, they do not matter. In fact, once my swelling goes away (wisdom teeth extraction) and I'm good to get back to daily activities, I will start going to the gym again. I will start making plans with friends. I will start going out with family members. They do NOT care how you look! If they did, you'd not be friends wtih them.

girl i think the same way as you do. is just acne!!!! there are more other important things to be worried about than just something stupid acne. we can´t let acne control our life!

There's people out there suffering with breast cancer, whilst an increasing population of women are getting breast implants & are so image focused but not in a natural way. these people haven't lived.

id say acne is somewhere in the middle - its not to be superficial but just to be naturally clear, it is not life threatening but it can have a serious psychological impact that can last a lifetime.

Acne has killed my personality. I feel disgusting, therefore I don't want to be in social situations. When I am in a social situation I cover my face, look at the floor, and do my best not to be noticed. Acne is not only physically damaging. It is hurting me from the inside out. It's all I think about. I am a different person because of it. I lost myself because of it.

Acne has killed my personality. I feel disgusting, therefore I don't want to be in social situations. When I am in a social situation I cover my face, look at the floor, and do my best not to be noticed. Acne is not only physically damaging. It is hurting me from the inside out. It's all I think about. I am a different person because of it. I lost myself because of it.

I am a different person because of it. I lost myself because of it.

perfect way to sum my feelings up too.

i used to be a really out-going person, there wasn't many days where i stayed indoors. i was always out with my friends or family but now i go out perhaps once every 6 months.

really sucks that acne can destroy some people so much :(

I wouldnt say acne killed my personality...it definately kept me from doing things I wanted to do, having certain jobs...but I still am essentially me. Just, maybe more compassionate and less judgemental than if Id never had acne.

If anything I try to be mor witty and overly nice so that people look past my skin.

I can see how very severe case would make you want to hide away but it wont help you in the end.

You will regeret NOT doing things but rarely regret going out and having fun.

If someone cares about you, friends family etc, they shouldnt care whether or not your skin looks good or bad.

It is our nature to be obsessive about our looks; you see it in every specie on earth. You know it's funny, I remember seeing a magazine years ago (a Reader's Digest I think) that touched on the subject of sadness. Now, one of the pictures that the article used to symbolize unhappiness was a guy in his bathroom starring at a single pimple on his forehead. I remember thinking, try multiplying that by 10 and wake up to it every morning for 15 years.

I believe that a lot of people here who say their personality has been destroyed are still suffering from unhappiness/depression. Suffering from acne will temper your personality, but will not define you.

It all comes down to accepting who you are. It's just much harder for people who suffer from acne when your image changes on a daily basis.

Step 1: Clear Acne

Step 2: Be Happy

Step 3: Profit