Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've had acne for almost nine years now. Sometimes it doesn't bother me but other times it gets me really depressed.

When I was wearing makeup, I found it easier to look at myself in the mirror so it got to a point where I would wear makeup every single day, even if I wasn't leaving the house. I hated how I looked with no makeup on.

I tried every acne product within my means and of course nothing ever worked. I even tried some natural stuff, lemon juice, tea tree oil, lavender oil, honey etc. but none of it had any effect. It didn't make my acne worse, but it definitely didn't make it better either.

I kept putting it down to being a teenager and then stress when I was in college, but when I graduated college I decided that was it. I was told old for acne and anyway in the business I intend to get into (TV), nobody is going to hire me over any of my clear skinned colleagues who graduated alongside me. It's a fickle business and all my previous achievements aren't going to matter when I show up to an interview with spots all over my face. All the interviewer is going to be thinking while I talk him through my qualifications etc. is how people are going to take one look at me on their TV screens and immediately turn over as a result of the massive pimple staring them in the face.

So I decided to get clear. I first of all made a few small changes: not touching my face, tying my hair up at night so it doesn't irritate my face, drinking lots of water, not eating as much junk food and not wearing makeup.

The not wearing makeup part was particularly hard.I would actually hate myself when I looked in the mirror. Years of constantly wearing makeup to cover my acne had left my complexion dull aswell as spotty and I couldn't bare looking at myself but thankfully that all soon changed.

I trawled through numerous sites such as this looking for something to help. Most of the things that people recommended, I had already tried before and none of it had worked.

Then I came across reviews for green tea. At first, I kind of just dismissed it, but people seemed to have gotten some amazing results from it and I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try, after all my mother already had tons of it in the house so it wouldn't cost me anything and it was natural so it was unlikely to aggravate my acne.

I started drinking 2-3 cups of it a day and applying the teabag directly to my spots, I then brewed some of it for 20 minutes and then poured it into an empty (clean) bottle and began using it as a toner morning and night and using it as a face mist at intervals throughout the day.

I had also just about ran out of cleanser so I decided to look for one that might be a little more effective than my usual ones. I decided (again after trawling to reviews) to switch to La Roche Posay. I bought the Purifying Foaming gel and used it morning and night, followed by my homemade green tea toner, followed by La Roche Posay Effaclar A.I (just on breakouts) and then my usual moisturiser.

Well it's been a week and a half now and I'm absolutely shocked by the results! My skin looks amazing, my red marks are fading, my complexion looks so much brighter and healthier and any new spots are small and heal much faster. Now when I look in the mirror, instead of hating myself, I can't help but smile! I just wish I had started this regime nine years ago. It's great to finally have decent skin and I just can't wait for the day where my skin is clear enough and I am confident enough to not wear make up when I'm in work or going places. By the looks of things, it won't be too long until that day :)

I'm so happy I could cry! If you haven't found something that works for you yet then don't give up! Your ideal regime is out there, and when you find it, it feels so good!!

I'll keep you guys updated :)

So happy to hear you've had good results with the green tea. I also started having a cup a day of green tea. I can't tell whether it's working, since I also started the regimen, but the combination is definitely having a positive effect on my skin, I think. Keep up the good work and good luck! :D

Thanks guys :)

It's day 12 now and progress has slowed since the last post but I had such dramatic results at first that I'm not too worried about it. I still have a few pimples that I'm trying to get rid of but I haven't had any new ones in two days which I'm super happy about :)

The red marks left behind from my other pimples are really frustrating me though. I'm considering switching my moisturiser and just using Jojoba oil instead as I've heard this can be good for fading marks and anyway it's just all round better for your skin.

I'm also researching what vitamins I should take to hopefully help me along. All in all, I'm feeling pretty upbeat :)

Good stuff! :clap:

Always nice to hear when somebody sees a breakthrough with a new regimen. Here's hoping it continues to go well for you. :)

Been wondering if it's worth trying a new wash myself, been using the same one for a long time now. Keeps my skin clean, but I'm starting to think it's used to it now and the wash no longer does anything for breakouts. Migh give La Roche a go.

Day 14: A few new spots today but they're only minor so I'm not too worried, I think my skin is just purging the areas where I break out most but I just got rid of three MASSIVE pimples so I'm feeling pretty good. Switching to Jojoba oil as a moisturiser on Friday. Still not wearing makeup and drinking loads of water and three cups of green tea a day. It's really unlike me to be so consistent so I'm delighted that I'm managing to keep this up :)

Freaking out

Sorry for two posts in one day but this one unfortunately is not as positive as the first one.

I knew that because my results were so fast I would probably have a point where my acne gets worse before it gets better.

So this evening I'm seeing a LOT of spots under my skin which I can tell are going to be MASSIVE and RED and INFLAMED in the morning UGH!! They're all on my chin which is where I break out the most so I'm hoping it's just my skin purging. I really, really hope so anyway because I never get this many in a cluster like this and I know if I wake up in the morning with a ton of spots my mam and bro etc are just going to be like you look awful blah blah blah.

I'm not looking forward to these next few days as a result but heres hoping that once their gone my skin will start to settle again.

I've been exercising a lot more recently which I feel has helped to even out my skin tone and helped to fade my red marks - partially due to the exercise and particially due to the extra vitamin D I get from the sun while running.

I'm also considering taking zinc supplements.

Day 15: As I expected, I got new pimples today but they actually weren't big, red and inflamed as I expected, they turned out to be whiteheads. It was REALLY hard not to reach for my make up when I saw them. I've been applying some aloe vera to them today and they're actually healing quite nicely already.

The rest of my skin is actually looking pretty damn good for a change, so all in all it's been a good day :)

I'm pleased for you :) like your mother, my dad has a stash of green tea which I wouldn't mind trying. Is there a particular brand you use?

Hey :) I got my bottle of Purifying gel, gave it a try last night. Always a little wary of trying new stuff, it's kind of tricky sometimes. On one hand I was thinking, 'Maybe my skin's become used to the wash I've been using for ages, and trying a new one might just improve things that bit further'. But then I also end up thinking, 'What is my skin reacts or it breaks out badly before it actually starts to respond well'. Of course, it's only an external thing and doesn't solve the internal causes, but at the very least it might offer a bit of a reprieve from breaking out which would be nice. After I washed, I found that my face was instantly very red, but that vanished within a couple of minutes. Not sure what that was all about, but it didn't dry my skin out and it was less oily when I woke up this morning than it usually is. So I think I'll just phase it in gradually and see how I go.

Know that feeling of expecting the new pimples all too well. It's like you know they're there and you're checking back all the time to see if it's worse. That's what I end up doing anyway. Inevitably, I usually end up picking and stuff because there's hardly anything there, making things a million times worse. Hopefully I will learn to leave it all alone one of these days. I can't help but wonder if, by thinking about it and constantly wondering whether or not it's going to break out, we are inadvertently sending signals to our body and telling it to do exactly that. I sometimes feel like I'm willing it on and it's ultimately just doing what I tell it to.

I had a period of maybe three or four weeks a couple of months ago where my skin cleared up well and there was nothing for me to pick, so I wasn't spreading the acne in that respect and I was breaking the negative cycle I was in. Previously, I would have been really anxious about it and pretty much waiting for the breakout instead of enjoying my skin, and then it would come. But this time I just let go of it and didn't worry. Paid next to no attention to my skin, didn't look at it and just left it alone. I believe that actually prolonged the clear period by maybe two more weeks compared to what I would usually get. So I think I need to get back there, back to sending my skin positive instructions and the kind of signals that help it improve.

Any brand is good, preferably organic though. Just make sure it has as few additives as possible.

I completely understand what you mean about overthinking it and making it worse, I believe this too! I get so stressed over the pimples on my face that I believe the stress makes them worse. I find it difficult to not stress out over it though. I also tend to pick at my pimples a lot, I had been quite good lately but with this new batch of pimples, I'm sorry to say I resorted back to picking! I do feel like my new regime plus the green tea has meant that it's not as easy for the bacteria to spread to other areas of my face now though... then again maybe I'm imagining that! It's all one big psychological game...

Day 19: I have very few active pimples at the moment, any new ones I get are tiny whiteheads which are so small they disappear within a day or two. My skin is healing a lot faster than it used to. I'm currently mixing some jojoba oil with my normal moisturiser (I need the SPF from my normal moisturiser, otherwise I would just use jojoba) and have begun taking zinc tablets. My complexion looks greater at the moment, so much brighter than it's ever been! Feeling good :)

Day 22: New pimples are becoming less and less frequent, again even the new ones I get are so tiny that they really don't bother me. recent red marks are beginning to fade with the help of aloe vera though it's not making much of an impact on my old red marks. My sister came to visit which knocked my confidence a bit because she has such perfect skin and mine looked crap in comparison. I know it's stupid to compare other people's skin with mine but I can't help it. I managed to talk myself around though and tried to convince myself that one day I'll have skin like hers so feeling pretty confident again. :)

Day 28: I currently have about 6 small pimples on my face which are fading fast. My red marks are slowly but surely healing and my pores look much much smaller. My mam even thought I was wearing makeup the other day when I wasn't which must have meant I looked pretty decent :)

Day 33: I'm not sure how I feel about my skin right now. 1 minute I'll look in the mirror and feel good, the next time I look, I feel crap. I've still got about 5 pimples on my face, they're all relatively small whiteheads but they're also surrounded by massive patches of red that are really getting me down. I really hope these breakouts end soon. On the bright side though, my chin doesn't have as many breakouts as before and the red/dark marks that have been there for years are finally starting to slowly diminish. I guess you have to take the bad with the good and hope that things will get better soon.

Day 37: I've had a real breakthrough since my last post! I've had only one teeny tiny new pimple in the last four days and all my little skin bumps and red marks etc have began to fade a lot! I'm hoping things continue this way!

Day 46: Unfortunately I've had a couple of minor break outs since my last post. At the moment, I have a couple of pimples where I don't usually break out at all but I know that this was caused by using lavender, which irritated my face (it says on the bottle that it's pure lavender with no added ingredients, but it caused a lot of irritation which I never got when I tried a different brand of lavender years ago?!) All in all my complexion looks pretty good. I wore makeup to work the other day and when I took it off I came to the conclusion that my skin actually looks way better without it on which is a real confidence booster :)

I'm onto my second bottle of the LRP but considering I'm still breaking out, I might switch cleansers if I'm still breaking out and the end of this bottle - which should be three or four weeks time but I'm hoping I'll be mostly clear by then and a change won't be necessary!

No major new pimples in the past couple of days and my last breakout has pretty much disappeared without a trace and redness has reduced significantly, confirming my suspicions about my last breakout being as a result of lavender irritation. I took a picture of myself and compared it to one from three weeks ago and I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference! There's been a major reduction in my pore size and red marks and my skin actually looks pretty great. Sometimes I think it's hard to tell if there's any big difference in my skin because I look at it so regularly that I don't really notice the improvement so I find taking pictures every couple of weeks helps boost my confidence :)