Notifications
Clear all

can welding cause acne?

MemberMember
(@juniorhasacne)

Posted : 06/22/2011 12:32 pm

ok so im a 15 yr old boy. and i just started breaking out as soon as i got to highschool im not sure why. but i do think its because i go to a vocational school and im learning welding so as soon as i started welding in highschool i started breaking even tho before i always had grown a pimple like once a week but when i started welding i started growing pimples on my forehead and cheek which is really rare. so i had probably like 6 pimples. so during the middle of the school year i told my mom to take me to get a facial and my face got somewhat clearer but not alot. but then i went back to welding and so i started breaking out and growing alot of whiteheads and blackeheads. so anyway my mom took me to a dermatologist and gave me differin gel .3 and doxyclyne hyclate which worked for 2 weeks and then made me break out so much that made my forehead look infected. so then i went back to my dermatologist and gave me tretinoin 0.5 and told to keep on taking doxycline hyclate 500mg. but obviously that didnt work it just made it 10x worst. so i just stop taking everything for like a month and i got a little bit clearer. but then again i had an appointment with my dermatologist and he put me on differin 0.1 lotion and erythromycin tablets 500mg. it did clear alot of my whiteheads and blackheads but made me grow alot of pimples on m cheeks and when i put it on my forehead it make me breakout alot so i stopped and now my forehead finally clear but on my cheeks is where i put the differin lotion at and i grow alot of pimples there. so what should i do???

do you think i started breaking out because of welding or because im at that age??

can welding cause acne??

should i just go get a facial and get my pores clean and stop taking medication??

did differin work for you and did erythromycin work??

MemberMember
(@david594)

Posted : 06/27/2011 10:35 pm

do you think i started breaking out because of welding or because im at that age??

can welding cause acne??

Welding can cause skin damage like a sunburn does. What type of welding are you doing and what safety gear are you wearing?

I'd bet being hot and sweating while welding and wearing a face mask would have more to do with your breaking out than the actual welding. But in general I bet it has more to do with your age than anything else.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/27/2011 10:39 pm

any kind of job that exposes you to dirt, heat and little burning particles flying around can make your skin worse.

I once worked in a kitchen using a large dishwashing machine and the steam and food particles in the air made my acne much worse.

I cant say if you should find another job but the answer is yes welding could make your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@juniorhasacne)

Posted : 06/28/2011 12:44 am

well im doing arc welding and gas welding. but now that school is over dont weld anymore but i could say my acne has cleared up alot much. right now im on differin lotion cream 0.01 ive been on it for 3 weeks and my initial breakouts are over and my acne is really clearing up. but im scare to put the cream on my forehead because when i did it for the first time it made me breakout on my forehead so i just put it all around my face except forhead so would i start breaking out on my forehead again if i put it on there or is my skin alredy used to it that it wont make me breakout??????????????????

MemberMember
(@rockingredhead)

Posted : 06/28/2011 1:12 am

ah, dude, PLEASE capitalize and use punctuation!!! It is so hard to read what you type!

I did welding last year and while it didn't break me out, I would recommend getting a bandana, folding it in half, and tying it around your head to wear under your helmet.

MemberMember
(@blazer910)

Posted : 11/14/2012 5:22 pm

Hi I'm a welder for my High School, I love it, I'm good at it, and its my career. I'm NCCER certified in all levels of construction, I'm have my NIM's certification in all levels as well. I have an internship coming upthis summer and I am a Welding Tutor and supervisor as well as the main welder in my class. I sometimes have the same problem with the acne situation just no where near as bad; when you weld you are exposed to heat, UVA - UVB - IR light, gasses emitted from the oxy and acc. combo, dust, dirt, debree, and sweat that usually stores up on your face becuase of your helmet. There are some ways to prevent that but not always get rid of the proble; you should get a D - rag or bandana and put it on and keep something between you and the padding on your helmets head ring, always make sure you have addequet or more than adeqeut ventation, and don't get too hot or dirty under your helmet. And for the acne I reccomend what I use, you'll need a prescription from you general doctor but it works great and it shouldn't make you break out at all, its called epiduo. I hope this helps, and keep up the welding as long as your good at it it'll pay ALOT! I'm currently looking at a pipe welding Job that pays $34/ hour, after I get outa college I'm deffinetly probably going to go get it. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 11/14/2012 6:33 pm

I used to work at a warehouse mad dirty and hot

Always sweating, dust dirt and all the good stuff.

While my time working there 1 year I would.get rarerly any pimples.