Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our lives suck worse than 90% of the population, here is why.

I dont feel the need to post my sob story with acne. If you are here, you know it. We live it, and we know it sucks.

Acne, acne scarring, and hyperpigmentation in and of itself, IS NOT harmful. They are red marks on our face, that is all.

It is society that causes us to have such awful lives. For whatever reason, it is acceptable of society to make fun of people with acne. It is seen as ugly, and unprofessional. However, it is a DISEASE BEYOND CONTROL. This causes some of us, mostly those of you like me who have suffered from a severe case for several years to feel anxiety and depression.

Then, it is cool, end edgy to make fun of those with depression and crippling anxiety.

There is no awareness of what we go through. Nothing close. No charity, no fundraisers, nothing.

I saw a commercial last night pleading for donations for children in Africa born with facial deformities. Ok, yeah, that sucks for them and they deserve help, but what about us? In American society, it is impossible to reach our full potential with severe acne. This is an undisputed fact. The only reason is, because people are judged by looks first. Where is our sympathy? Im not asking for money like those children, just SYMPATHY.

I look in the mirror and cycle from psychotic, violent anger, to crippling depression, and hysterical crying sessions. This isn't because of the marks, its because of how the marks are perceived. I don't get to be me. At the end of the day, Im the guy with laughably horrendous skin on my face. Im not being dramatic, this is fact.

I have recieved 7 vbeam/smoothbeam treatments for my very severe acne/acne scarring in the past year. It has improved a lot. This is after an ongoing 6 year battle with a face more red than white. My insurance company refused to cover it. They said it isn't medically necessary. SOCIETY IS A ****ING JOKE!!!!

People with severe acne are FAR MORE LIKELY to commit suicide than a person without. Red marks on our face are not fatal, and they should not be. Its time for society to change. Scientists just figured this out. lmao, how was this not common knowledge? I think about it every day. (I probably wont, my family, hope, weed, alcohol, and music keeps me going lol)

I hope the people who cause this problem get what is coming to them. I fantasize of taking those people who have given me shit about acne in the past, and tatooing little red marks all over there face, because they deserve it.

It has gotten to the point that simply being around people has made me run to a bathroom and vomit. I have panic attacks and sudden, uncontrollable fits of rage. I dropped out of college last semester. I lost my job because my boss told me, that customers find me unapproachable and I am unemployed now.

Im drunk after spending my night drinking alone so I posted this, sorry lol. Im too drunk to look back and see if what I wrote made sense and I covered everything. My point, I guess, is that it is not our fault. It is the douchebag out there whocoined the phrase "pizzaface" Its the asshole boss who denied us employment because we look bad. It is the guy/girl who denied us at first glance.

Mods, if I cursed or did anything wrong, please just edit it out. Idc if I get banned, but this should stick aroung.

True that. I heard that in the medieval ages it was considered a very attractive feature to have acne lol I dont know if thats true...but it is interesting :P

I lost my job because my boss told me, that customers find me unapproachable and I am unemployed now.

Can't tell if serious...Do you work as a fashion model? You can't be fired for that.

I lost my job because my boss told me, that customers find me unapproachable and I am unemployed now.

Can't tell if serious...Do you work as a fashion model? You can't be fired for that.

On a private golf course. They had to make cutbacks and that was a reason he gave me.

people dont make fundraisers for that because acne is not harmful or life threatening.. its not a priority to find a cure.

On a private golf course. They had to make cutbacks and that was a reason he gave me.

What a piece of shit. Find his home address and troll the fuck out of him.

people dont make fundraisers for that because acne is not harmful or life threatening.. its not a priority to find a cure.

DUMBEST SHIT EVER SAID

Edited by forksandspoons2670

DUMBEST SHIT EVER SAID

its true... ever seen a fundraiser for a disease that isnt life threatening...

nope.

stop getting angry tough guy

its true... ever seen a fundraiser for a disease that isnt life threatening...

nope.

stop getting angry tough guy

http://sports.silobreaker.com/fundraising-...609135959998553

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_78...445ba57ddd.html

http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201458/

http://www.nj.com/news/times/regional/inde....xml&coll=5

Is that enough or do I need to keep going?

I specifically said in my post that I am not asking for money, but for sympathy and awareness.

Its people like you I am talking about. Acting like severe acne is no big deal because it isn't life threatening.

It isn't ok to make fun of someone who categorizes with the charities listed above (usually, but it isn't near the level of acne). ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE, IN THE WAY PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK. Not a priority? Ok fine you are right, but that doesn't mean it should be thrown under the bus. More AWARENESS is what is needed, not more research.

Oh, quit moaning. Sure, acne sucks. But you're the only person that can ruin your life. You dropped out of college; and perhaps it was your attitude, not your skin, that got you fired.

I know people with horrible acne who still throw themselves into life. I don't buy the excuse that it's society impeding our sociability and success.

I personally feel that there are worse, life-threatening diseases that should be given priority, not ones with mere cosmetic and emotional symptoms. If you want to promote awareness, then go out and do it. No one is going to do it for you, because no one really cares.

Hm, I can sort of see both sides of this. Any physical disfigurement does make life hard for people. Here in the UK there was a young woman who had acid thrown in her face by some crazy boyfriend and there was a documentary about it on TV. She has now come to terms with her scarring (also had a lot of surgeries) and has gone on to found a charity for acid attack victims and have a media career. She kind of turned a horrendous event around and thrown herself into life, dating etc., media spotlight even with her disfigurement.

But I've always thought one of the bloody awful things about acne is that it changes every day - it can get worse, better, worse and it just changes, it's not a constant thing that stays the same on your face. Also, there is the 'hope' that it can be cured - so again, this makes it hard to accept.

Also, as it is a relatively common condition (even severe acne) it doesnt really elicit the same responses as a permanent disfigurement...it's 'just acne' to a lot of people.

The confidence-killing side of acne is the really the thing that gets to a lot of people.

But, there has been some research and Accutane is the closest thing to a cure (for most sufferers).

Oh, quit moaning. Sure, acne sucks. But you're the only person that can ruin your life. You dropped out of college; and perhaps it was your attitude, not your skin, that got you fired.

I know people with horrible acne who still throw themselves into life. I don't buy the excuse that it's society impeding our sociability and success.

I personally feel that there are worse, life-threatening diseases that should be given priority, not ones with mere cosmetic and emotional symptoms. If you want to promote awareness, then go out and do it. No one is going to do it for you, because no one really cares.

What a dumbass lmfao.

Please elaborate on your moronic points so I can properly explain how stupid you are.

1: I dropped out of college because I was physically incapable of going to class. This was recognized and I was given a tuition refund for a medical withdraw.

2: I was laid off. I am one of the nicest people you will interact with. He had to make cutbacks and told me I was chosen because I appeared unapproachable.

3: I had horrible acne for 5 years and I "threw myself in to life". I realized that I was doing ok but nowhere near reaching my potential and acne was the reason why. If you disagree then you are flat out ignorant.

4: Youre a moron

5: I never compared acne to cancer dumbfuck. Acne is a joke, a punchline, and that is what causes psychological problems. Only an idiot wouldn't agree.

6: How is one person going to change society on their own.

The intelligence of this board is embarrassingly low. I guess its just naive teenagers who haven't had a taste of the real world.

I respectfully disagree.

Society doesn't MAKE you do anything. Most people aren't as shallow as you seem to make them out to be. Confidence goes a long way. Notice I didn't say conceitedness. Simply being content with yourself, that shines through so very much. I know this firsthand because I used to struggle with my self-perception.

Also, I remind everyone to keep the conversation civil. It is okay to vent but please abide by the board rules. No personal attacks please.

i see your point, i think people without acne dont understand that its something hard to get rid of...and mostly its comercial companies that are to blame they make it seem that a cream is all we need to cure it and why wouldnt it work they show beutiful faced celebrities and other normal actors who claim the same thing....its soo anoyying i remember a guy telling me "eww thats a huge zit why dont you do something about it like buy proactiv or something" ugh if he only knew it wasnt that easy:( sigh

Im still waiting for a reasonable, intelligent argument.

Acne -> Red marks on face -> Higher Suicide risks -> High anxiety/depression

Someone connect the dots for me, if I am wrong. Are the red marks somehow controlling the brain? Or is there a variable (society) causing that?

Are people here actually dumb enough to believe acne marks control the brain and make people kill themselves?

1: I dropped out of college because I was physically incapable of going to class. This was recognized and I was given a tuition refund for a medical withdraw.

2: I was laid off. I am one of the nicest people you will interact with. He had to make cutbacks and told me I was chosen because I appeared unapproachable.

3: I had horrible acne for 5 years and I "threw myself in to life". I realized that I was doing ok but nowhere near reaching my potential and acne was the reason why. If you disagree then you are flat out ignorant.

4: Youre a moron

5: I never compared acne to cancer dumbfuck. Acne is a joke, a punchline, and that is what causes psychological problems. Only an idiot wouldn't agree.

6: How is one person going to change society on their own.

The intelligence of this board is embarrassingly low. I guess its just naive teenagers who haven't had a taste of the real world.

1. Physically in what sense? Acne cannot make you physically unable to attend classes. It only impacts your mobility and sociability in an emotional sense.

2. "Appearing unapproachable" could mean many things. You can "appear unapproachable" because of how you look, or how you present yourself. In your case, I suspect both.

3. I guess I'm ignorant.

4. Ummm...?

5. Nor did I. We all have acne. That's why we're on this board. But some people fall into depression, such as you, whereas I haven't. I have severe acne, as well. I've been prescribed Accutane. I do agree that depression and suicide is higher among those with acne, but if you are able to identify that and move past it, then you're golden. All I see are people using acne as an excuse for why they cannot succeed socially.

6. By getting the ball rolling.

Edited by Skiyk

Damn you money addicted companies, is true they are the real problem, its their fault we can't have cure, why ? Because a cure will make them out of business, the cure is out there, but can't be reveled to the society, and guys were is the love ?

Im still waiting for a reasonable, intelligent argument.

Acne -> Red marks on face -> Higher Suicide risks -> High anxiety/depression

Someone connect the dots for me, if I am wrong. Are the red marks somehow controlling the brain? Or is there a variable (society) causing that?

Are people here actually dumb enough to believe acne marks control the brain and make people kill themselves?

As I said before, I think it's unhealthy to blame ANYONE for your mindset. Especially society, it's highly variable and honestly, accomplishes nothing to push the blame onto something/someone else. Your well-being is in your hands ultimately. If you need help, seek it. If you need to simply find the strength within yourself to accept, even like, what you see in the mirror, so be it.

The first step is to take it upon yourself though.

And again, I will remind you to keep this civil. Or I will close the thread. Calling people names for disagreeing with you isn't tolerated here.

As I said before, I think it's unhealthy to blame ANYONE for your mindset. Especially society, it's highly variable and honestly, accomplishes nothing to push the blame onto something/someone else. Your well-being is in your hands ultimately. If you need help, seek it. If you need to simply find the strength within yourself to accept, even like, what you see in the mirror, so be it.

And again, I will remind you to keep this civil. Or I will close the thread. Calling people names for disagreeing with you isn't tolerated here.

No good. Human beings soak in their surroundings and ultimately become a product of their environment.

With a disease like acne, at a certain point after millions upon millions of instances of suicide, depression, anxiety, far many more virgins, it is no coincidence.

The whole, "its up to you, put a smile on your face and go into the world, its not as bad as cancer" is a very weak argument to my main point.

The very existence of this board proves my point. If society didn't treat acne as bad as it does, or praised acne, this board would not exist. Everyone would want it and no one would kill themselves over it.

To those who don't agree, explain the high suicide rates, depression/anxiety, high number of virgins, less money earned in a lifetime, lower grades in school, etc. These are all FACTS of acne sufferers. Statistically, people with acne have a much lower quality of life. If it isn't society, what is it?

lol skiyk. I dont want to get this deleted, so Ill just say lol.

I feel it is extremely unhealthy to take the entire blame for your mindset. I don't care if you are a mod or not, please don't abuse your power in attempt to gain control when someone disagrees with you. The OP has made a very valid point. Why is nobody listening? Society is corrupt. Advertising is destroying America. When have you ever seen a billboard promoting something happy displaying an image of a fat person ridden with acne scars? It's unheard of.

Edited by aybro

Some people agreed abyro. They recognized my flawless logic and moved on.

To those who disagree, you have two options,

a) Explain why so many people with acne kill themselves, are depressed, have anxiety disorders, are virgins, have a lower quality of life, statistically speaking, if society isn't largely responsible.

OR

b) Admit you have made no strong argument, you are ignorant, naive, and that you are wrong and I am right.

I hate people that act like society is perfect and doesn't do a lot of harm. imo our society is petty and needs significant change. (Not to say its all bad)

I think it's apparent that good looks give you a massive helping hand in life, ofcourse it's not the only thing that matters, but if you're smart and good looking you are going to go an extremely long way. I think if you have something like acne or physical scaring to deal with it puts you in a disadvantage.