Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skiyk

To drug or not to drug?

Hello,

My acne has been calming down considerably in the last few months, but I keep getting break-outs, and it's making it difficult for my poor old skin to heal up. Although my break-outs are less severe, and my acne is less encompassing, I'm debating whether to go on medication and just cure it for good.

My family doctor recommended, when my acne was more severe, either Accutane or another, less severe drug, whose name I've forgotten. I don't think my acne is severe enough to warrant Accutane, but I'm considering the lesser drug just to give it the final heave-ho.

But I'm a bit concerned about the strength and side-effects of these drugs. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get photographs, but I can say that I only have one or two active pimples (i.e. they're sore to the touch) and about 7-8 above the skin. But I have lots of marks (not scars) from where acne used to be. And I'm worried that it's just sitting under my skin, planning its next move.

Do you think it's worth it?

Thanks,

Skiyk

Are you seeking help for the pimples that are yet to come, or which drug to choose?

I would settle with oral antibiotics rather than accutane if you feel your acne isn't as severe.

Either, or. I'm terribly uninformed on both subjects. I thought that Accutane was an oral antibiotic?

I am also looking for ways to prevent pimples yet to come, and give my skin a chance to heal. If I could get something preventative going, I wouldn't feel the need for any antibiotics.

Thus far, I've been using facial wipes with 0.5% Salicylic acid. I don't know how well they're been working. My acne seems to heal and break-out of its own accord.

Edited by Skiyk

Either, or. I'm terribly uninformed on both subjects. I thought that Accutane was an oral antibiotic?

I am also looking for ways to prevent pimples yet to come, and give my skin a chance to heal. If I could get something preventative going, I wouldn't feel the need for any antibiotics.

Thus far, I've been using facial wipes with 0.5% Salicylic acid. I don't know how well they're been working. My acne seems to heal and break-out of its own accord.

Antibiotics consist of Tetracyclines (Doxy, Mino etc) Bactrim Solodyn and many others.

As for your pimple that is yet to come(Wynne's Thread)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cyst-pimp...it-t166343.html

What to do with Cyst/pimple/zit

For Salicylic acid, it tends to have a purging process/initial breakout. Usually subsides within a couple of weeks, then shows improvement in acne.

Edited by Nostradamus