Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright.. so I've been wondering how to go about cleaning my makeup brushes. I tend to just apply liquid founation and concealer with my clean hands, because I find with makeup brushes things just get really gross. So really the only brush I need to clean well it my powder brush. How often should I clean this? And what should I clean it with? And how should I clean it? XD Sorry for all the questions, it's just that cleaning them is such a pain and I always feel like I'm not getting it completely clean.

Right now... I'm not cleaning it too often. I used to think powder and brushes couldn't possibly break me out, but I'm starting to realize how much bacteria are in those brushes, and when I put them back in the powder foundation... it's like a bacteria party! I haven't broken out before, but I just want to make sure.

I have heard that bacteria can't live in the powder because its dry? but anyway I clean my brushes with my face wash, and I know alot of makeup guru's like to use baby shampoo. Look up on you tube 'cleaning brushes' and you will find lots of suggestions and tutorials thats what I did :)

I always used disposable sponges (bacteria wonderland) for liquid and brushes for powder. Using a liquid foundation with a brush always seemed off to me.

I think the best way I found to clean my brushes is first putting some oil on a napkin oand then swirling the brush in it, then using my face wash on it a few times.

Synthetic bristles are supposedly more hygienic, but I can't say for sure.

I always used to use a sponge for foundation then experimented with using the elf powder blush. Huge difference...it seemed like I was using less foundation too. After every use or every other use, I spot clean my brushes. I just use a cleaner from Longs Drugs. I believe it's from Essence of beauty. I just spritz some on a paper towel and swirl the brush in it until it's clean. I do the deep clean every two weeks with baby shampoo since I have that on hand for my kids anyway.

I clean my brushes about once a week using regular hand soap (Trader Joe's liquid hand soap which is gentle and all-natural). I just work up a lather in the palm of my hand and swoosh the brush around for awhile, then rinse it out really well, dry it really well by squeezing it in a clean towel (especially at the base of the bristles), and then let it air dry the rest of the way. I agree, it is a pain in the ass. I don't like the spray cleaners, though.

I saw the Doctors TV show the other day and they said you should put make up in the fridge to prevent bacteria growth.

I use Cetaphil to clean my brushes. I try to clean them at least once a week, because I wear makeup just about every day. Baby shampoo works well, too.

I clean mine every 5-7 days using baby shampoo...I clean my powder and blusher brushes.

Regarding keeping makeup in the fridge,,,should I put my compact powder in the fridge? Does powder get infected with bacteria????

It's horrible for brushes, I've heard, but I use dish soap. If brushes accumulate the oils on our skin, I feel that dish soap is the best way to get rid of it. I don't think it's damaged my brushes? Definitely not my synthetic flat top powder brush.... I wet the brush, hold them so that the brush hairs are pointing up, put some soap and gently rub the bristles so that soap goes down towards the base. Then I rinse it with water and squeeze water out, if the water running out is colored I repeat the process.

It's horrible for brushes, I've heard, but I use dish soap. If brushes accumulate the oils on our skin, I feel that dish soap is the best way to get rid of it. I don't think it's damaged my brushes? Definitely not my synthetic flat top powder brush.... I wet the brush, hold them so that the brush hairs are pointing up, put some soap and gently rub the bristles so that soap goes down towards the base. Then I rinse it with water and squeeze water out, if the water running out is colored I repeat the process.

Ditto. That's important, because if you only wash once you may not be getting all of the makeup, dirt, oil, bacteria, etc. out.