Notifications
Clear all

The time has come the Walrus said.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/16/2011 8:00 pm

I'm sure many people on the org have seen me posting for awhile now. Well the time has come.... I will most likely get my blood results back tomorrow and if everything checks out my derm will give me a call, I will answer the Ipledge questions and off to the pharmacy I will go.

I will not lie to any of you, I'm seriously anxious, scared, excited, apprehensive and hopeful all at once. I've dealt with acne on and off since I was 13 and I can honestly say I've given it the power to hold me back. After many years of very irritating and harsh products my skin has become super sensitive to almost anything. I can not wear make up on a daily basis putting it on and taking it off causes so much irritation. My skin in highs school was super oily, even my hair was a mess. I'd wash it the night before and by the time school let out I was covered in oil. At the time I hated the feeling of oil sitting on top of my face. As I got older and with the devil called tazorac, my skin is no longer quite as oily. It's combination, sensitive and my chin area tends to get the driest of all places, ironically enough this is where I have the most clogged pores. I know my issue with acne comes from a combination of dry and oily skin and problem with my skin turning over too fast.

Despite all this, I remain hopeful. I will be starting off on 40 mg. I'm 5''3 and I weigh around 105-110 lbs.

I put together a little checklist of what I will be using. If anybody has any input please feel free to comment. And by the way, anybody hating on accutane, just leave this thread now. I don't want the negativity. Please and Thank you. 😉

Products:

1. La roche posay lipikar surgras cleansing bar.

2. La roche posay nutritic lips

3. Vaseline Jelly (I will be doing something different with this, I will apply a thin layer of this before I wash my face, I will then lightly rub my face for 2 - 4 mins, massaging it in a very circular motion, then wash with the bar and then apply whatever moisturizer I choose and then again apply a thin layer of vaseline to seal in that moisture, I'm trying to avoid dry gross skin at all costs, even if it means breaking out a little more).

4. Some type of Vaseline Body moisturizer

5. Cerave cream for the face

6. Aquaphor healing ointment for lips

7. Orgins drink me up Intensive Repair Mask (I never see any accutane users use hydrating masks to combat the dryness, so I'm gonna give it a go, see where I end up)

8. Visine for the eyes

9. Burts Bees and Blistex for Lips

10. Coconut oil for body

11. When my skin gets super dry I will only be washing my face every other day.

Supplements: If I'm going to be on such a harsh medication you bet your ass I'm gonna take extra care of my health.

1. Vitamin C

2. Vitamin e

3. Vitamin d

4. b12

5. Tumeric Pills (amazing for red marks, been using them for about a month and my marks are almost all gone already)

6. Fish oil

7. Probiotic

8. ACV Pills (I'm excited to finally give these ago)

9. Metamucil (more people need to take fiber supplements, this saved me 2 years ago)

10. lemon water

11. 1 gal of water per day.

Mind:

1. Stay hopeful always

2. Surround yourself with people who are supportive and positive

3. Stretch for at least 30 mins a day

4. Walk an hour a day at least.

5. Mediation

6. Just Breathe.

MemberMember
(@koolfanman)

Posted : 06/16/2011 9:22 pm

Im with you on this I got my blood work done yesterday and im waiting for the call to get the ok to pick up my prescription. I get depressed everytime I look at photos of myself from last year to early this year :\. I weigh 175 and am being put on 40mg for the first month just waiting for the call. at this point side effects dont mean much to me I just want my life back :\

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/16/2011 9:28 pm

I feel you man. I want to start living again. Sounds so cliche but its serious.

MemberMember
(@lucasvictor)

Posted : 06/16/2011 9:29 pm

I'm sure many people on the org have seen me posting for awhile now. Well the time has come.... I will most likely get my blood results back tomorrow and if everything checks out my derm will give me a call, I will answer the Ipledge questions and off to the pharmacy I will go.

Wow, you haven't even started? I have seen your posts for a while now and your "veteran member" status threw me off a bit 😀 . Well, good luck tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/16/2011 9:40 pm

*laughing* huh?

MemberMember
(@crystal841)

Posted : 06/16/2011 10:56 pm

Good luck girl

I know ur acne is mild, so I'm sure ull have great results. Hopefully ur ib won't be significant ;)

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/17/2011 6:08 am

Thanks everybody. Does anybody feel like they look old? I don't know if thats my bbd. But I feel like I loko 40 when everybody says I look 12.

I love the feeling of vaseline. It feels so good and I haven't even started accutane yet.

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 06/17/2011 7:05 am

Best of luck with it all! :)

From from I've seen, you look great as you are, but I get why you'd want to be totally free from the whole acne thing after so long, once and for all. I was in the same position after suffering 13 years when I asked my doctors about it, but each one refused it because they said my skin wasn't so bad. So, I'm battling on and trying to clear up with a better diet and stuff.

People often tell me I look a lot younger than I am. Maybe they associate pimples with teenage years, even though I left that part of my life behind six years ago.

You certainly don't look 40! Don't be so hard on yourself because you like fine as you are. And when you get to the end of your course, odds are you'll be exactly who you want to be.

:)

MemberMember
(@thirtyforthirty)

Posted : 06/17/2011 4:36 pm

Good luck good luck good luck! I have read your previous posts and you are obviously very self-concious about your skin and I think you exhibited a lot of introspection and careful thinking while making this decision and you finally arrived at the right choice (in my opinion). I think your mind will be more at ease than you an even imagine once you start your course. at that point, all you can do is let the pills work how they are going to work no matter WHAT you do (and it has NOT been NEARLY as scary as it sounded so far in my experience) and keep thinking positive thoughts. don't let the anxiety get to you. i know it is easy to say that because i already started but I was a wreck before I started and now I look back and realize the anxiety and doubting were way worse than the accutane side effects! I think it is going to be great for you and I can't wait to read about your progress! as for the products, sounds like you've planned it out pretty well! I started using Aveeno ultra calming foaming wash when I began my accutane course and i have found it to be AMAZING and I have tried every face wash out there - from cetaphil to stuff that costs nearly $80 (insane, i know) - this Aveeno has completely sold me. it leaves my skin clean but super soft and moisturized and it is really, really gentle. i have also been using a hydrating mask regularly, though it is dr. hauschka (german holistic brand) not the origins one you mentioned but I think it is a really good "step" to include in the regimine whilst on accutane. i put it on whenever my skin feels extra dry or irritated and it pretty much makes it go away! I also have an arsenal of super intense moisturizers/oils for when my skin is really parched but honestly, i haven't needed them that much at all (and i am over 30 days in). i know you are very well-prepared and i know you are scared but this is going to change your life for the better. once again: good luck and update often!!

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/17/2011 7:07 pm

Paul - thanks 😉 I feel like I look 30 I don't know if thats just guilt from smoking a little in high school or what. I stay outta the sun. But I feel like I look 30 I ask everybody if I look old and everyone says I look 15. I just got told I look 12 at a bar without asking so that was nice. I'm excited to see how my body reacts to this medicine.

Forty - Thank you for being so supportive. I think its def the right choice for me. I can not wait for the day to not have to worry about red marks or active pimples or dead skin or oily skin or dry skin. It's all so frustrating. By the way how is that mask? I was thinking of getting that one or the origins one. I read reviews on it. And they are pretty good. Is it worth it you think? I want to do a mask at least twice a week. And I LOOOOVEEE VASELINE. Dear god. It makes my skin feels so much better. You should start using it to seal in your moisturizer. I put it on last night and my skin is still dewy. So nice.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/17/2011 7:42 pm

What I just realized while looking in the mirror I haven't gone a day in my life without any active acne or red spots I have no idea what that "feeling" feels like. How strange is that? I can't wait. My life and my confidence will completely change.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/17/2011 7:49 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention I will be eating up to 1-3 green apples a day. And 1 full avocado when I take my pill. YUM!

MemberMember
(@daveeh27)

Posted : 06/18/2011 8:10 pm

roaccutane really isn't as scary as you're making out. you will look the worst you ever have for the first few weeks but it takes minimal makeup to hide it and look presentable to the world. other side effects are unnoticeable at times. enjoy!

MemberMember
(@pinkstarlett)

Posted : 06/19/2011 4:26 pm

roaccutane really isn't as scary as you're making out. you will look the worst you ever have for the first few weeks but it takes minimal makeup to hide it and look presentable to the world. other side effects are unnoticeable at times. enjoy!

agree with the above poster. The media really scares people off from taking accutane. I understand that their are horrible side effects in rare cases, but the majority of people are fine. I was expecting a lot worse, but mainly only have had dry lips throughout my course and headaches when dehydrated.

And yes, in months 2 and 3 my acne at times was worse than I ever had in my life, it sucks but worth it in the end.

MemberMember
(@iamfinallyclearandhappy)

Posted : 06/19/2011 6:55 pm

im starting accutane once i get the pregenency test back, but good luck to yaa! hope you dont have to go through a IB.

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/19/2011 7:58 pm

I think the media hypes it up too. My friend took it a few years back and said it was just like any other pill. Of course the reason i"m making a check list is just to be cautious and I feel if you're healthier on the inside I'm sure the medication will work much better.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/19/2011 10:00 pm

i thought you shouldnt take fish oil whilst on tane?

MemberMember
(@pocket)

Posted : 06/20/2011 1:35 am

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and like me, don't go through an IB. I understand exactly how you feel! I agree with everyone who says that the media hypes up the drug to be an awful thing but you have to take it with a grain of salt. I honestly would rather have clear, gorgeous skin than a bad headache. Not going through the makeup routine feels so liberating. I can't wait for you to go through that! Tinted moisturizer is enough coverage for me and i've only been on 40mg for 3 months. Do not lose hope :] <3 I will be following your log for sure.

MemberMember
(@thirtyforthirty)

Posted : 06/20/2011 10:18 am

when do you start your course? the hauschka mask is really good - it is the revitalizing mask and it is a bit expensive but it is really wonderful (as are all of their products). it is moisturizing and relieves redness and is generally a very calming thing to put on your face. i sometimes sleep in it because the skin absorbs it and when i wake up the next day my skin is insanely soft. good luck and let us know when you start!

MemberMember
(@pinkstarlett)

Posted : 06/20/2011 7:16 pm

I think the media hypes it up too. My friend took it a few years back and said it was just like any other pill. Of course the reason i"m making a check list is just to be cautious and I feel if you're healthier on the inside I'm sure the medication will work much better.

exactly, and after awhile taking this pill every day really starts to feel like a normal routine. By the way, fish oil is def. okay to take, I do all the time when I remember to buy a bottle. Your tagline is from Alice in Wonderland, right?

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/20/2011 7:44 pm

mhm mhm 😉 it's one my favorites of all time

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/21/2011 2:46 am

So everybody I got my prescription filled, 40 mg. The lady was so sweet. She was like "Do you have your ipledge card?" I pulled out the entire book and she was like "WOA, they give you this HUGE thing for it?" "What do they tell you in this thing?" "Don't you have to get blood work done?" "Have you tried anything else?" "This has to work."

Anyways, I have a super bad sore throat and high fever. I will start my pills in a couple days. 😉 Me Excited.

Is it true if your acne isn't that bad to begin with that your IB won't be that bad?

MemberMember
(@mdn217)

Posted : 06/21/2011 12:28 pm

So everybody I got my prescription filled, 40 mg. The lady was so sweet. She was like "Do you have your ipledge card?" I pulled out the entire book and she was like "WOA, they give you this HUGE thing for it?" "What do they tell you in this thing?" "Don't you have to get blood work done?" "Have you tried anything else?" "This has to work."

Anyways, I have a super bad sore throat and high fever. I will start my pills in a couple days. 😉 Me Excited.

Is it true if your acne isn't that bad to begin with that your IB won't be that bad?

Yay for you! Take some before pics and progress pics!

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/21/2011 4:22 pm

Ah I hope I have the guts for that!

MemberMember
(@sanderella24)

Posted : 06/21/2011 4:26 pm

I'm so sick it sucks that I have to wait to take it. BUt I'm glad I didn't start taking it over the weekend and then have this cold come on.... I prob would of blamed it on the accutane unknowingly. I have a 104 fever last night. Fevers freak me out. I think its one of my greatest fears besides being alone forever. I hate fevers. I used to get them really bad when I was a kid. REALLY REALLY BAd.

I'm going to the doc to get on antibiotics.... boooooo