Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

18 years old. I'm on like, day 6. Should have done this crap two years ago, but whatever. Problem is I'm prone to hopelessness sometimes, naturally, so I might get really depressed. I probably definitely will. Especially with winter coming up. Sigh. Gonna go to the store today and get some moisturizer and a bag of apples. I eat at kind of obscure hours, so I'm gonna have to stay really aware of this whole fatty meal thing before I take the pill. Acne is one of the worst things that I've ever had to just deal with, and Accutane is AT LEAST going to be the second worst. I sound pessimistic, I'm not always like this. But when it comes to this subject....

Well, I didn't start summer of 2011 but hope you will include me. I started 5 days ago on the 27th. I am 33 years old. when I am not on any medication (including BC), I have moderate acne on face, back and chest. I can keep it fairly controlled on BC, bactrim, and 3 topicals, which I found ridiculous and my derm agreed that a course of isotretinoin would be better for the long-term than staying on all those meds. It would be different if I were late teens or early 20's. but at 33, it's time to be done with acne.

I am on 60 mg daily for an expected 5 months.

I'm just starting pack/month 3 tonight.

I'm super excited but time is still going soooooo slow.

No really crazy side effects I don't think.

Just EVERYTHING being so freaking dry. And I really mean everything.

But last Friday, I noticed a weird bumpy rash under my boob. I just left it alone thinking maybe it was heat rash or who knows what.

It was a bit itchy every once in a while but nothing bad at all.

Then a couple days later I got a really bad cold.

I have asthma so sometimes I end up on tons of meds just to get rid of it.

Sooooo I went to the dr. for my lungs but thought I might as well show him my rash too. (I was also there to get my next Accutane script and all that.)

He then told me I had shingles.

Like wtf.

Has anyone heard of people getting shingles on tane?

I googled it and found a few things.

I'm thinking maybe it's because my immune system is so shot right now??

I hope this doesn't become some regular occurance or side effect.

Sorry this is so long you guys!!!

Just so weird that I'd all of a sudden end up with shingles......

How's everyone doing!!!!

Hey Hk!

I've had shingles before, not as a result of 'Tane, but when I was younger. They're annoying, but no big deal. Did your doctor give you something to apply on it? I can't remember what I used, it was a long time ago.

I'm tired as a two-toed sloth today. eusa_wall.gif

Working on month 4 and had to stop this weekend....

I've been on 40mg per day for 105 days. My Doc wanted me to stick to a longer course of 8 months at a lower rate. However, since taking Clavaris, I've been getting more and more anxious over the course of the treatment. At first it wasn't a big deal, sweaty hands, waves of chills occasionally, the odd heart race here and there. Then one evening I had a full on panic attack. I hyperventilated until the point where I passed out in the living room. I honestly thought I was having a stroke. My entire body seized up, I felt like I could not breath, and I knew that this was the day I was going to die... 15 Minutes later, I was perfectly healthy, aside from a racing heart...

This was enough to send me to my Dermatologist to ask what the heck was up. She didn't think that the Accutane was the cause, and asked if there were other things going on that might be affecting me. Yes... I am under a tremendous amount of stress at work, a divorce, and failing economy that Im forced to sell a house in for a loss... But... Pre-Accutane, all of those just rolled off my shoulders... No problem, I've handled WAYYYYY More conflict in my life before. She suggested that I see my primary care Dr about it.

Last week, spoke to my PCD and he did all the normal blood tests, COPD, Hyperthyroid, Cancer, etc.... Clean. He prescribed Zoloft for the panic attacks and anxiety. I was to slowly ramp up the dosage to 50mg. to see how it would effect my anxiety. It did do well to curb it most of the day, but by the end of the day I was still sweating buckets from my hands and felt incredibly agitated. Last Thursday I had a nervous meltdown at work. It was a confrontational meeting where I was put on defense and I blew up like a Nuclear bomb. These are people that I have worked with for decades, and I have never had an emotional outburst of that magnitude before, ever....

That night I was going to kill myself. I felt my life was wrecked, over, done. I was 100% sure I was going to loose my job. Thankfully I was able to talk to my parents right after it happened. Crappy thing is that they're splitting up, and that was the night they were going to tell me... That put things back into perspective for me, but still... Scary... as... hell...

I stopped both the Clavaris and Zoloft that evening. Its been 4 days since I've been off them. My head is clearer, but my god... the anxiety is non-stop persistent now.

Did the 105 days of Clavaris help? Nope... The whole time I was on it, my skin just kept breaking out in smaller spots. My cystic boils have subsided (aside from 2 on my back), but now my face is really broken out again... It seems like I've taken a step backwards, with the awesome side effect of being a nervous wreck...

I see both my Dermatologist and PCD this week, so we'll see what they have to say.

Anyone who had/has anxiety since Accutane, does it go away? or am I screwed now?

Anxiety is awful, and so many things can bring it on. Genetics also play a huge part in it - if one or both of your parents have issues with anxiety disorder, you're more likely to develop it. I've seen my mother have full blown panic attacks where she has been absolutely convinced she is going to die and I know how ugly it can be. They can come out of nowhere, for no reason, and they can be pretty intense.

The thing about anxiety is that it doesn't just disappear over time. You need to talk to your doctor and work out techniques to control it. Meditation, box breathing, things like that. If you're having suicidal thoughts, you also need to seriously consider medication. I am not going to contest the fact that you believe Accutane's made this worse for you because I am no doctor or scientist. Either way, I am so sorry that this is happening to you. :( You aren't by any means screwed though!

I think maybe you should seek counseling and talk to somebody about everything that's happening to you right now, too. I know you say that this stuff just rolls off of your shoulders, but maybe it's been building up to this for a while. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with and you'll find it loads easier if you see a professional and offload some of it.

Not to deflect. But if I've never had any anxiety or a panic attack for 45 years, why now after being on Accutane? Why is it now a daily part of my life?

I've seen some incredibly horrific things in my life while I was in the military. I've done some incredibly stupid things in my life as a young adult. I've lost more money on the stock market than most people make in a year. My job is considered one of the most stressful jobs you can work in. But I have been a rock.

Now? Im a shaky, clammy, sweaty, dry mouth, nervous wreck who doesn't understand WHY I "feel" like Im not in control of my life anymore (when in fact, I know that I am).

aww sorry to hear that uleric. i think what you did was create a perfect storm. this is because there are risks of suicide and depression when taking accutane. There is a very small chance of this but it is still something my pharmacist noted. I'm sorry that you are going through such a bad time and I hope your life turns around. Please keep your chin up and never give up, you have come too far to give up!

You are not screwed. anxiety and stress CAN be cured. just because you took accutane, does NOT mean that you cannot revert back to your normal self. We are in no position to counsel you on your life, but I just want you to know that people have limits. Some people can only take 10 years of stress and bullshit, while others can last for 20 years. You have lasted for 45 years through all the muck and dirt, always being calm in the storm. And from your short description, it seems like you have been through shit that most people could never handle. You are a human being like us, a strong person for withstanding all the obstacles in your life, but still a human being. You have been superman for 45 years but no human can last forever! so do not be hard on yourself or over analyze the breakdown and the feeling of no control. Sometimes we just need to recharge. it's not your fault and you know as well as I know that you can overcome this.

Good luck Sir.

Edited by Sun-ah-san

So I wasn't going to post again until my (final) derm appointment next week, but I've had a couple of really disheartening - and incredibly confusing- days. I'm on day 138, and up until a couple of days ago, things seemed to finally be going ok. Although it took me months to start responding, never going more than 3 or 4 days without at least one new pimple, I finally went 3 weeks without a breakout, which is my longest stretch for about a year. Unfortunately, it didn't last; yesterday I got a new pimple on my jawline (pretty small, but noticeably red), and would've brushed it off if I didn't get two more today on my cheek. They're not very bad in and of themselves, and wouldn't even be noticeable if it weren't for the redness, but it worries me that this is happening this late in my course after I had been doing so well; I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I really didn't think I'd be taking any steps back this late in the game. To add to my frustration, I've also noticed that my redness has definitely increased. I have a bunch of post-acne marks that I thought were fading a little, but over the past few days they've been more inflamed than usual (they look like they did when I first got them months ago), and I have no idea what is causing this sudden turnaround; I'm even red in spots where I didn't have a pimple. Having a setback, no matter how small, nearing the end of my course is scaring the hell out of me, and I'm terrified that this does not bode well for my skin post-Accutane. With only about a month and a half left, I feel like I haven't made the kind of progress I wanted/expected, and I doubt that the final month will just be this big turnaround, like my skin was waiting until the last moment to fully respond to the drug.

For those of you at the end of your courses, have you noticed anything like this, or any similar setbacks (minor or severe) this late? I don't want to worry myself to death over this, but I can't help feeling so disappointed and anxious that this degression will become a pattern in the days to come. After coming so far and knowing how good it feels to have clear(er) skin, I wouldn't be able to handle going back to the way things were. I'm praying this is just a fluke, not foreshadowing.

For those of you at the end of your courses, have you noticed anything like this, or any similar setbacks (minor or severe) this late?

Anyone? I got a couple more tiny bumps on my forehead yesterday and I'm really starting to worry. Anyone else here in their last months experiencing any kind of breakout?

im 1 week away until my last month... havnt had actual acne or a single whitehead in about 6 weeks and havnt had a tiny bump in about a week. when i say tiny i mean you need to stand an inch from my face and need to actually be looking for bumps to see it

feels good man

The tiny bump breakout continues (by breakout, I mean I have 3 or 4 small, slightly inflamed bumps). I got another one today, and while the bumps themselves aren't very noticeable (and certainly nothing compared to how I was breaking out months ago), it's still upsetting to see any kind of new blemish when I only have about a month left. So I'm going to ask a different question; for those of you in your final month(s) of Accutane, are any of you perfectly clear (as in absolutely no pimples, big or tiny)? How many of you are still having some kind of issue with your skin (even if it's minuscule)? Should I be worried (like I obviously am), or am I blowing things out of proportion? Thanks guys!

i was doing so well -_-

now ive got 2 huge and painful things on my back.

so annoying....

i guess its to be expected since im just into month 3??

arrrrghhhh

face is doing alright though

guys i have something funny to tell you. my face would turn red for NO REASON and get hot. i thought it was the accutane...but then I wanted to make sure if there was something else causing my flushing. Turns out the damn vitamin b supplement i was taking had niacin which can cause flushing...so now I don't get red anymore.

so if u guys are flushing for no reason, please check what you are taking as a supplement. it might help you.

Hi, i started Roaccutane last wednesday, it began to clear up some of the redness within the first few days and my face was very dry, with skin peeling everywhere (even my ears), as well as the dry lips. I thought to myself though, that's fine, i'd rather dry skin and that, than bad acne, However on tuesday just gone, i woke up with alot of new whiteheads, wednesday there was absolutely loads, and then on thursday was the worst I've ever seen my face, and I've had acne since about 12/13, (now 23). Today again, even worse, I'm hoping this initial breakout doesn't last much longer, I'm considering ringing in sick to work over it.

I've only got about 5 weeks left on accutane now, I currently have maybe 5 cysts on my neck, 1 spot on my chest, 2 on my face but still have a bit of marking on my cheeks. My forehead, nose, mouth area are all clear as day. My back and back of neck are completely clear too.

Hey, so I'm just starting my third month and after having "the absolute worst IB" my derms ever seem I'm extremely discouraged. Honestly I would trade places with any of you. For anyone that's depressed about how there progress is coming i guarantee you it could be worse!

PS My derm wants to up my dose to 120mg. I'm just kind of nervous because that seems really high for my third month, oh and I weight 115lbs if that matters. Anyone else in the same position?

Edited by ImTrappedInMyMind

Day 112, started to clear up around 2 weeks ago at last, felt like forever coming.

Got an extension today so getting top end of the recommended dose with 5 months.

when i woke up this morning i had about 50-55 single hair strands on my pillow case is that ok?

i never notice hair coming out when i run my hands thru it or when i shower though and my hair still feels thick