Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

i'm on day 12!

my doctor put me on 80 mg a day. i think he made a mistake though. he told me i would be on 60 mg but the prescription slip said otherwise.

i didn't question it though .. after all, i found out after i had paid.

nevertheless, i haven't had any horrible symptoms. but is it too early to make any judgement calls? so far i've had the usual.. dry lips and dry skin (though not horrible, hardly noticeable in fact)

my skin is still oily but has no blemishes.

should i expect an initial breakokut?

i'm on day 12!

my doctor put me on 80 mg a day. i think he made a mistake though. he told me i would be on 60 mg but the prescription slip said otherwise.

i didn't question it though .. after all, i found out after i had paid.

nevertheless, i haven't had any horrible symptoms. but is it too early to make any judgement calls? so far i've had the usual.. dry lips and dry skin (though not horrible, hardly noticeable in fact)

my skin is still oily but has no blemishes.

should i expect an initial breakokut?

the dosage is based on factors such as your age and weight. I cannot tell you what to do but be careful because there is a specific reason why your doctor chose 60 instead of 80. Tell your derm that there was a mistake so that he/she can better assist you.

However, if you weigh above 150 pounds or so, then 80 might not be so bad. Good luck!

10 more days til i'm done my course.

i'm so excited.

my skin has been better than ever, cept i still have lots of red marks and overall redness :(

hopefully they'll go away soon...

IMONTGOM- wow, that sucks so bad! My 3rd course is different than my previous ones also. What is up with us?! So frustrating. I personally have resolved that I will most likely be going on a 4th course eventually.

I have no idea. I went into this course with pretty high expectations and so far, it's really only been a let down. Since starting this course in May, I haven't gone more than 6 days without getting at least one new pimple (none of which go away overnight). Today I got 2 more small pimples on my forehead, but my forehead was actually the only area where I saw some really great improvements (I haven't had a single pimple on my forehead in over a month), so even though they're small, they're significant to me. And one of the pimples from my recent breakout is so swollen and painful; I can't even sleep on the left side of my face because the pressure from the pillow hurts too much. I called my derm, but he has a huge problem with returning my calls, so I have no clue what's going on. I started doing some pretty heavy cardio on a daily basis as of last week, which means a whole lot of sweating; initially I though maybe the sweating/physical activity was causing the breakouts, but I wash my face very diligently afterwards, so I don't think the two are related. Also, I'm barely feeling the side effects - only some mild dry skin/lips/hair/eyes - so maybe I should be on a higher dosage? I've been on 60 mg since month 2 (I weigh about 120 lbs.), but I'm so sick of not seeing results. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Anyone else around the four month mark? If you are, how are you doing? (I won't hate you if you say you're doing really well and everything's been great!) Since I'm halfway through month four and still breaking out, I'm starting to doubt that Accutane's even going to work this time.

So how exactly do we join this? Just post? lol

Anyway hello everyone! I went to my derm last thurs and basically told him i had enough and antibiotics weren't working for me anymore, as well as topicals. I told him I've wasted hundreds of dollars without the results i've been seeking and asked to be put on accutane. He said i've been really persistent and have done everything i was asked to and he agreed to put me on. I was surprised because my derm is really against it and i actually found out i'm the first patient to be prescribed it from his office. It was discouraging though to hear from his assistant that i was the only patient he could not clear up with his treatments. I got my blood test the following day(Friday) and called them Monday but they didnt receive the results. Called again today twice and i think the receptionists are getting annoyed of me calling, but i want to get started...I even called the diagnostic center twice and they said faxed it twice...sigh

Background:

I'm 19 years old, turning 20 in September from California and starting my 3rd year in college. Yes i know, I can't drink for my birthday...sucks. I still don't know if i should tell me friends i'm going to start accutane because they have clear skin and probably don't even know what it is. Usually we get wasted for our birthdays, but i really don't know how to tell them that I can't drink for my birthday this year. They are really pushy about this stuff...lol. As far as my acne history, I started getting teenage acne at 14, nothing proactive couldn't handle. Then when freshman year of college started, my life changed dramatically. I began getting really painful bumps and didn't knwo what they were, but discovered they were cysts later. My self-esteem went down the drain and i had to find a derm. Started tetracycline and differin in december of 2009 and got clear by the time spring came and had an amazing summer. Since i was virtually clear i was switched to minocycline and when my sophomore year was about to begin my cysts slowly returned and when winter came around my acne came back with vengeance, worse this time because the hyper pigmentation combined with constant cysts was unbearable. I started to avoid my friends and think of excuses to not hang out with them. So i switched derms and he gave me all the antibiotics i didn't try before. It helped and i was flat at one point for a while, but had hyperpigmentation. Then starting this summer the cysts began developing again AND I had ACL reconstructive surgery on my knee in June. SO pretty much this summer has been the shittiest of my life and I've had about 5 fun nights in total. I havn't had a happy christmas in 3 years, and i'm hoping this year I'll be clear in time so i can live a normal life like my friends.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent guys!!! I hope all of you guys are progressing well and i'll update once again when my stupid derm calls me! Hopefulyl my results are good so i can actually take accutane. :dance:

I just started accutane today, im on 40mg a day and i thought that was suprisingly low because i am about 160 pounds and tall so i thought i would atleest get 60 mg but oh well we'll see how it goes.

does anyone know if it is safe to use psychadelic drugs like lsd and shrooms while on accutane? and if not how long do i need to wait until im off to try them

and no comments about them being illegal plz

Hehehehe....:badgrin:

10 more days til i'm done my course.

i'm so excited.

my skin has been better than ever, cept i still have lots of red marks and overall redness :(

hopefully they'll go away soon...

wow so happy for you. glad it worked out, and yes the red marks will fade!

does anyone know if it is safe to use psychadelic drugs like lsd and shrooms while on accutane? and if not how long do i need to wait until im off to try them

and no comments about them being illegal plz

Hehehehe....:badgrin:

whats the hehehe for...

anyways though i decided to wait until im 1 month off accutane til i do them

^ Nothin'! Sometimes a chuckle is just a chuckle Kelso. 'Cause it is a completely valid question, but something I'm not likely to ask my derm about :P

I just started accutane today, im on 40mg a day and i thought that was suprisingly low because i am about 160 pounds and tall so i thought i would atleest get 60 mg but oh well we'll see how it goes.

yoo same tall and 150, but 40 mg has worked really well for me so don't worry man. just make sure cumulative dose is enough

on my forehead i dont think i have icepick scars it seems more like enlarged pores now... or maybe its just smaller sized icepick scars im not sure...

can anyone else here though if they look closely at their problem area see spots that look like they may turn into a zit? i get so paranoid i think everything that looks like it could be a zit will become one lol

and again to update... DAM YOU PIH MARKS PLEASE GO AWAY

Question for anyone on a lower dose (like 10-40 mg for their whole course)... how long did your doctor tell you it would take to see results?

I'm on 60 mg but thinking of going lower... just wondering if that means I'll have to wait much much longer to see results.

Thanks!

I'm wondering how long my course will be as well. There is no way I can go any higher than 40 mg. I'm on month 2 day 41 and my eyes are the only part that are giving me trouble. Dry from working in the a kitchen all the time. I weigh 105-110.

I just took advil to temporarily reduce redness on my face for tonight, what do you guys think? Has anyone tried this?

my face doesnt feel as dry anymore espicially around my mouth where it used to get super flaky... could be the new cetaphil cream moisturizer im using but im worried the tane stopped working lol mid 4th month

I just took advil to temporarily reduce redness on my face for tonight, what do you guys think? Has anyone tried this?

well did it work for ya? i never knew it reduced facial redness.

On to month 2 tonight!

I really wish I could fast forward time and have that say month 6.... but I'll take what I can get.

well did it work for ya? i never knew it reduced facial redness.

It did work, I popped two 200 mgs advil and all night my face was less red...ibuprofen reduces inflammation so i guess thats why, the one cyst on my face also seemed to calm down. But woke up with a red face again...only a quick fix not long term solution. had a great night though :), i drank alot, had accutane and am fine

Edited by Cooool

Just finished month 3, on day 91 now, doctor bumped me up from 50 mg to 60 mg for this month.

Im kind of wondering if my course is going to be 5 months or 6 months, we'll see. I havent broken out in 4-5 days which is a record for me. Its been years since thats happened, I really hope im not jinxing myself by saying this. My skin is clear, but as always the redness and tonssssss of PIH marks is making me look shitty still. Either way I'm happy with accutane at this point

I've been told PIH marks won't fade on accutane, and maybe its in my imagination, but mine seem to be slowly fading even while on it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

Just finished month 3, on day 91 now, doctor bumped me up from 50 mg to 60 mg for this month.

Im kind of wondering if my course is going to be 5 months or 6 months, we'll see. I havent broken out in 4-5 days which is a record for me. Its been years since thats happened, I really hope im not jinxing myself by saying this. My skin is clear, but as always the redness and tonssssss of PIH marks is making me look shitty still. Either way I'm happy with accutane at this point

I've been told PIH marks won't fade on accutane, and maybe its in my imagination, but mine seem to be slowly fading even while on it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

who told you pih marks won't fade on accutane? Your doctor? my pih marks have faded, i am 100% they have.

who told you pih marks won't fade on accutane? Your doctor? my pih marks have faded, i am 100% they have.

I'm really happy for you 12341234! Good to hear it's working! As for the PIH marks, I'm with Sun-ah-san...mine have faded considerably whilst on the tane. My complexion isn't perfect and they're more prominent when I get flushed, but there has been a very noticeable difference. Don't worry guys, we'll be clear later if not now!

I'm really happy for you 12341234! Good to hear it's working! As for the PIH marks, I'm with Sun-ah-san...mine have faded considerably whilst on the tane. My complexion isn't perfect and they're more prominent when I get flushed, but there has been a very noticeable difference. Don't worry guys, we'll be clear later if not now!

thanks mia! btw just to make myself clear, I am not saying that accutane is directly responsible for making my pih marks fade. TIME is what cleared my red marks.

However, due to the fact that I have not gotten acne for nearly 2 months because of accutane, my face is less full of pih marks because there is nothing that is causing more pih marks. the ones I had before are slowly disappearing but that is TIME doing its magic.

mia i am glad you are seeing results! your description sounds like mine :D

How much do you guys eat when you take your pill(s)? I usually try to eat at least a bowl of yogurt with some granola, but sometimes I'm not sure if that's enough. I don't really eat too much (my meds for my add act as appetite suppresents, so it can be like forcing down food), but I just want to be sure that I'm eating enough with my pills. Is there a rule of thumb for how much food you should be ingesting/what types of foods are best for absorption? Thanks.

As for the pih discussion, mine are still really noticeable, especially after showering/moisturizing/exercising. My facial dryness also seems to be concentrated around my post-acne marks (coincidence?), and I haven't really noticed them fading or anything (but it can be hard to tell).

have 3 small zits on my forehead but they are not big at all, just kinda sucks after a week of no zits i have this but i can live with it...

someone mentioned that moisturizing helps fade pih marks? i dont put moisturizer on my forehead because im worried it will cause more zits because its my problem area... i use cetaphil cream from that big tub as moisturizer is it safe ti put on my forehead?

thx