Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

^ could be sleep patterns

fuck i read some stuff that high doses of accutane can trigger rosacea and even before i took tane my cheeks were pink and i had mild rosacea and im worried its going to get worse...

^ could be sleep patterns

fuck i read some stuff that high doses of accutane can trigger rosacea and even before i took tane my cheeks were pink and i had mild rosacea and im worried its going to get worse...

my sleep patterns are extremely bad but doesn't affect my skin. @clouds you are going to have to be more specific and tell us exactly what your "perfect" skin is like and your "crappy" :P

@kelso

Talk to your doctor kelso. but i am pretty sure the answer is no. you will be fine.

I'm on day 17. I think.

My skins pretty dry and my lips are RIDICULOUS.

I haven't washed my hair in 3 days though < definitely one of the better side effects!

My hair used to start looking greasy by the end of the same night (or at least my bangs) soooo annoying.

I feel like I've already been on this stuff for moooonths, when it's only been a couple weeks..... I hope the next however many months don't go by this slowly. oii vey.

How much water are we supposed to be drinking? i was doing really good at the beginning, but it's so hard to keep forcing myself to drink it all day so ive been slacking.

How's everyone else doingg??? :)

we all know our skin gets thinned out while on tane but once your off it does it go back to normal or does it stay thinned out forever?

I guess I'm the only one who's moisturizer makes them redder... it's very odd, but oh well. Anyway, I have another question; do any of you have plans for a long-term regimen once your course is finished? Something like a topical retinoid regimen? In the past I never used a topical immediately following my courses, but when the acne returned I tried several different topicals before returning to Accutane eventually. I've tried Differin, Tazorac, and Retin-A (they never worked, but I don't think they ever made my skin worse), but I either only used them for 3 months (and chucked them when they didn't work) or I used them improperly. I don't want to finish this round and have no plan for how to manage my skin post-Accutane, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start a topical soon in order to avoid an IB and have my skin acclimate to a retinoid while the Accutane is still in my system (I know that they can be very drying, but I've had minimal dryness thus far, so I think I'd handle it pretty well). Although I don't want to use a topical unnecessarily, I also don't want to take my chances and just do nothing once I'm done - since I've relapsed twice already, I would feel like I was just waiting to break out again, and I'd rather be proactive about keeping any and all potential acne at bay.

So what are you guys doing after you're done with Accutane? Do you think using a topical during/following a course is a good idea, or an unnecessary risk? Are you going to wait it out and see how things progress naturally, or are you going to remain aggressive about maintaining your skin?

(Sorry this post is so long! I definitely did not mean to rant that much...)

I guess I'm the only one who's moisturizer makes them redder... it's very odd, but oh well. Anyway, I have another question; do any of you have plans for a long-term regimen once your course is finished? Something like a topical retinoid regimen? In the past I never used a topical immediately following my courses, but when the acne returned I tried several different topicals before returning to Accutane eventually. I've tried Differin, Tazorac, and Retin-A (they never worked, but I don't think they ever made my skin worse), but I either only used them for 3 months (and chucked them when they didn't work) or I used them improperly. I don't want to finish this round and have no plan for how to manage my skin post-Accutane, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start a topical soon in order to avoid an IB and have my skin acclimate to a retinoid while the Accutane is still in my system (I know that they can be very drying, but I've had minimal dryness thus far, so I think I'd handle it pretty well). Although I don't want to use a topical unnecessarily, I also don't want to take my chances and just do nothing once I'm done - since I've relapsed twice already, I would feel like I was just waiting to break out again, and I'd rather be proactive about keeping any and all potential acne at bay.

So what are you guys doing after you're done with Accutane? Do you think using a topical during/following a course is a good idea, or an unnecessary risk? Are you going to wait it out and see how things progress naturally, or are you going to remain aggressive about maintaining your skin?

It's okay.

I have that problem too.

I'm extremely red after I wash my face and put on moisturizer. I don't know why either.

Maybe its the contstant touching that inflames it, I have no idea... It sucks.

I'm going back to school in college in 2 weeks and my roommates are gonna see everything... Sigh!

have you tried a different moisturizer? some moisturizers make me red and it stings my skin.

also that is a great question concerning post accutane skin and if it is prudent to start the new regimen while on accutane. I will ask my derm about that one.

It's okay.

I have that problem too.

I'm extremely red after I wash my face and put on moisturizer. I don't know why either.

Maybe its the contstant touching that inflames it, I have no idea... It sucks.

I'm going back to school in college in 2 weeks and my roommates are gonna see everything... Sigh!

hey sammy how is it going for you? still not getting any better?

I think I'm probably not going to use a topical after I'm done accutane, they never really helped my acne before accutane and while on them my skin worsened. I tried 4 different topicals for a combination of 2 years and never saw improvement from any. So once I'm done accutane I'm just going to continue washing my face, eat healthy, take some zinc, and hope for the best. If I still get some acne after I finish I'll be fine with that (I am 17, so it's almost unrealistic to be completely clear imo), im just hoping that it never goes back to where I was breaking out with multiple new spots every day.

Anyways just to update (kind of using this as a log almost, sorry), I'm on day 79 and I'm certainly breaking out less. Rather than getting 2-3 new spots a day I'm getting about one every other day or so. Skin still looks shitty though, weird redness, insane amount of PIH marks, and still some active spots. From what I've read I'm going to have to just deal with the PIH marks while I'm on accutane. Despite my skin looking shitty I am breaking out less, my skin feels nice, I have essentially no side effects other than dry lips, and I no longer have an oil issue. So I'm happy with accutane as of now, hopefully it continues to improve though. Going to a doctor in a couple days, going to probably get my dose upped from 50-60 mg.

Sorry for the long post, hope everyones accutane experiances are going well.

my end of month 3 checkup is next wednesday and im still not really satisfied, to me its still embarrassing to go out. i feel like i have the tan burn on certain parts of my face, there isnt acne in these red areas it just makes it look discolored and still pretty bad especially on the front of my cheeks next to my nose. idkkk im hoping for a miracle and looking alright by september

Hi guys,

My doctor put me on a 3-month accutane course 50mg/day. I weight 124lbs and I'm a 20 year old female. I have had acne since I was 12 but it's always been quite moderate but for about the last 6 months it's been moderately severe. I am about a month and a half into my course but I've never heard of anyone only on a 3month course and I'm still breaking out so I'm a little worried that 3 months will not be enough to clear my acne. At this point I have 2-3 big pimples and 15-20 tiny red pimples (not whiteheads) that are not really noticeable unless you look VERY closely. I used to have severe scarring but my scars have definitely lightened up (I'm Indian so my scars take a lottt longer to lighten and they're a lot darker in the first place).

Some of the side effects I have been experiencing are really chapped lips (I use Blistex, it works great!), dry skin, REALLY dry scalp, occasional joint and chest pain, and occasional mood swings. However I don't know if the mood swings are really because of accutane or if it just seems that way because when I do feel like I'm having a mood swing I automatically think oh, this is a side effect of accutane when really it isn't necessarily that.

There have been days where I've had no big pimples on my face and I've thought 'Oh it's finally starting to actually clear up' but sure enough one or two always seem to crop up within a few days. My doctor literally said that I can expect 'baby skin' after 3 months but seeing my face now I'm not as convinced that 3 months will be enough.

Any advice, feedback, or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone on this accutane journey!

Hi guys,

My doctor put me on a 3-month accutane course 50mg/day. I weight 124lbs and I'm a 20 year old female. I have had acne since I was 12 but it's always been quite moderate but for about the last 6 months it's been moderately severe. I am about a month and a half into my course but I've never heard of anyone only on a 3month course and I'm still breaking out so I'm a little worried that 3 months will not be enough to clear my acne. At this point I have 2-3 big pimples and 15-20 tiny red pimples (not whiteheads) that are not really noticeable unless you look VERY closely. I used to have severe scarring but my scars have definitely lightened up (I'm Indian so my scars take a lottt longer to lighten and they're a lot darker in the first place).

Some of the side effects I have been experiencing are really chapped lips (I use Blistex, it works great!), dry skin, REALLY dry scalp, occasional joint and chest pain, and occasional mood swings. However I don't know if the mood swings are really because of accutane or if it just seems that way because when I do feel like I'm having a mood swing I automatically think oh, this is a side effect of accutane when really it isn't necessarily that.

There have been days where I've had no big pimples on my face and I've thought 'Oh it's finally starting to actually clear up' but sure enough one or two always seem to crop up within a few days. My doctor literally said that I can expect 'baby skin' after 3 months but seeing my face now I'm not as convinced that 3 months will be enough.

Any advice, feedback, or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone on this accutane journey!

3 months is too short imo. why dont you ask your derm for an extension? Just to be on the safe side.

im nearing month 3 and I do not have baby skin :D

Good luck!!!

For what it's worth I get more red and irritated after applying moisturizer as well. I'm beginning to think I need to change up my morning & evening regimen and get some gentler more moisturizing products. Looking into some more natural ones. Will let you know if any seem to bring relief. Is anyone else getting kind of puffy skin where they have redness? My skin seems kind of inflamed almost in a couple of areas that are red. It makes my pores look massive and it's super annoying!

Okay so I have two major problems.

First of all, I'm not at the beginning of month 3 and I'm on 40mg. I had a really good last month and my skin has been clear for about three weeks now BUT just two days ago I started to break out a lot. I don't know what's happening! Anyone else have this happen to them??

Also, I've become obsessed with popping my pimples. I pop them and then but a little dot of bacitracin on the spot and it normally works within two or three days. I'm just worried that it's not good for my skin because they say don't ever pop a pimple. I don't know what to do. It's hard to just let them fester and not take action.

Help!

Okay so I have two major problems.

First of all, I'm not at the beginning of month 3 and I'm on 40mg. I had a really good last month and my skin has been clear for about three weeks now BUT just two days ago I started to break out a lot. I don't know what's happening! Anyone else have this happen to them??

Also, I've become obsessed with popping my pimples. I pop them and then but a little dot of bacitracin on the spot and it normally works within two or three days. I'm just worried that it's not good for my skin because they say don't ever pop a pimple. I don't know what to do. It's hard to just let them fester and not take action.

Help!

1. yes this has happened to many of our thread members. you are not alone.

2. well if u can pop without scarring or spreading the infection you can do this. but you must not pop when the acne is too deep or you WILL leave red marks or a scar. choose your battles wisely.

I've got a question!

I drink almond milk instead of cows milk. I ran out awhile ago though and havent had any since I started accutane a couple weeks ago.

I forgot there was vitamin a in it. i was reading the label tonight and it says 10%.

is that too much? should i stop drinking it for now?

hopefully someone has an answer for me! thanks guys

I've got a question!

I drink almond milk instead of cows milk. I ran out awhile ago though and havent had any since I started accutane a couple weeks ago.

I forgot there was vitamin a in it. i was reading the label tonight and it says 10%.

is that too much? should i stop drinking it for now?

hopefully someone has an answer for me! thanks guys

10% of your daily value is fine. but i think the derm is going to tell you to not drink it just in case and i think it is best to stop to be on the safe side :P

Anyone else noticed they're sleeping more since being one the tane?

I only recently realised I wasn't getting much done each day because I've been sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Doesn't bode well for my studies etc....

I only recently realised I wasn't getting much done each day because I've been sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Doesn't bode well for my studies etc....

Yes! I had a couple 12 hours days in a row and was ridiculously tired. Don't know how this semester is going to go.... Sleeping in isn't an option :(

To rhg, I've had kind of the same thing - clear first month, breaking out a lot 2nd month (not more than normal, though.) Very discouraging. In week 8 now, hoping things get better soon. did you ask your dermatologist about it?

Definitely. I remember even on my first day of accutane I just felt tired way earlier than usual. Since the start I've been sleeping 9-12 hours everyday, compared to 6-10 before lol.

I am always sleep so I do not know if it's just me or the accutane :P

If I didn't have to get up at 6am every morning I would definately be sleeping 10+ hours. It is SO hard to drag myself out of bed now and I'm only on day 13. By the time I get home from work I am out of my mind exhausted. I think this is a super common side effect.

middle of month 4... 2 tiny zits on forehead but they are super small but still sucks to get them... its normal for small breakouts this late right?

also pih marks suck :evil: