Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

I just started Accutane this past Thursday!

22 y/o female. 40 mg.

I'm scurrrred.

Any advice???

make sure you moisturize religiously! also if you don't have aquaphor or something of that nature you really should get it... it's like a necessity

if the dry skin doesnt bug you why is it so important to moisturize?

First, if you touch shit with you hand, just because theres no oil. Just because you used water to rinse it.. does that mean theres no bacteria? No. Therefore use cleanser :) LOL

Also, moisturizing prevents scarring and helps healing. If you properly moisturize your skin, you can properly wash your skin without damaging it.

ok.. since about week 2 I've had moderately flaky skin but since yesterday i've reached my breaking point and would LOVE suggestions on how to get rid of all these stupid flakes... any tips?

moisturize moisturize and moisturize and then they are all dead, then you gently exfoliate them.

I have a tip in helping flaky lips ;D I havent had any flaky lips so far, anyone want the tip?

To all you guys and girls riding out the IB...hang in there! It does get better and you will get to a point where you won't be examining your face like a mad person dozens of times a day!

Listen to your bodies and don't let the negativity overwhelm you because you'll only suceed in making yourself a recluse. Remember, you stll have a life and personality outside of the acne. You're still you! :D

Guest Timehealsall

IM TAKING IT SOON TOO I THIK

SCARED!

IM TAKING IT SOON TOO I THIK

SCARED!

Don't be! You'll be ok! It's just like exams - know your stuff, be prepared, and you'll be alright! Deal with the roadblocks when you get to them and don't bad buzz yourself. Good luck :)

22 y/o female. 40 mg.

I'm scurrrred.

Any advice???

make sure you moisturize religiously! also if you don't have aquaphor or something of that nature you really should get it... it's like a necessity

kelso!!!!!!!! if you were my child i would spank you for this blasphemy!! :P

You should moisturize your dry skin even if you dont care about it because later down the road it will bite you in the butt. Dry skin further wrinkles your skin and damages your skin. Since you are on accutane you should understand what dry lips does to your lips. It cracks and damages it. Obviously, the dryness on your skin is not as bad as our accutane lips, but the dryness over a long period can lead to irreversible wrinkles. This is why doctors say that those with oily skin have better skin than those who have dry skin because the oil keeps the face moisturized. Do you want to look like you are 90 at 40? I dont :D

Hope this changes your mind.

To all you guys and girls riding out the IB...hang in there! It does get better and you will get to a point where you won't be examining your face like a mad person dozens of times a day!

Listen to your bodies and don't let the negativity overwhelm you because you'll only suceed in making yourself a recluse. Remember, you stll have a life and personality outside of the acne. You're still you! :D

listen to missmia! great advice here. I feel the same way actually too

@hk!

@Timehealsall

welcome and gratz!!! dont be scared!!!!! frankly i was helluva excited to get on it cuz i knew it could possibly turn my life and skin around! nothing scary about that :D

and if u do run into problems, i assure you that there are people here like me who went through the same thing and can help you and give you advice. just ask

Edited by sunaaaaaaaaaaah

alright boys im on vacation and decided to ignore everyones advice about avoiding the sun, in fact i lathered on the tanning oil. nothing really big happened except im just drier than normal, no crazy horror story cysts. i mean it looks kind of better i guess but i can still tell all the red marks are still there and where the red patches are still so its kind of blotchy with tan and red. i had to miss 4 days inbetween prescriptions and im going to miss another 2 days because i didnt bring enough pills with me :/. i hope this isnt effecting my progress, this is my third month and despite the fact i went up from 40 to 60 my lips seem less dry since i started again, maybe i lost ground idk. but i still have faith that by the end of the month ill be comfortable in my own skin and meet new kids at school.

ok i'm gonna give jojoba oil a shot and see how that helps with the flakes... does anyone know if they sell that at HEB? (thats a grocery store...) cause thats where i'm getting my next batch of pills (i'm getting them today actually...) and if i could get some while i'm there that would be marvelous... also for my hair i'm now conditioning it everyday and washing it (and conditioning it) every other day... so hopefully that will help with the dryness

i kinda goofed up. had 2 whiteheads that were just chillin on my face for like 3 days and i knew they were hard and dried out from the tane. i went to pop em with a needle but instead they just kinda came off. no ooze came out and it was just a red dot left behind that i had to dab a couple tiem bc the blood

really hpe these red marks fade for the fate of humanity

Starting tomorrow. Kiiiinnndddaaa freaked out. I poke around these boards to ease my mind and confirm I'm not the only one in this boat. Don't know what my dose is yet, but I'm picking it up tonight and my doc told me to start off on 1/day for the first two weeks and then up to 2/day after. Thinking it might be a higher dose b/c of the way he said it and that makes me a weeeeeeee bit nervous. :unsure:

I'm on day 68, skins looking better than a week ago but still pretty shitty. The amount of redmarks I have is crazy, my skin would be looking half decent without them but theyre covering like all of my cheeks :/. Does anyone else feel bipolar about their skin? Like sometimes I think that things are improving and that my skin looks decent, other times I feel like I have the worst acne in the world. I was like this before accutane even

I'm on day 68, skins looking better than a week ago but still pretty shitty. The amount of redmarks I have is crazy, my skin would be looking half decent without them but theyre covering like all of my cheeks :/. Does anyone else feel bipolar about their skin? Like sometimes I think that things are improving and that my skin looks decent, other times I feel like I have the worst acne in the world. I was like this before accutane even

i'm exactly like that! like one minute i'm super exited and positive that my skin is finally improving and the next min i look at it in a different light and i feel all depressed like nothing has changed and that i'll be stuck like this forever

i'm exactly like that! like one minute i'm super exited and positive that my skin is finally improving and the next min i look at it in a different light and i feel all depressed like nothing has changed and that i'll be stuck like this forever

Yeah I think lighting is a huge role, like if I look at myself in a car mirror where lighting is perfect and im up close, my skin just looks so much worse than it will in a bathroom with average lighting.

I'm almost done with month 2!! I only have about 7 pills left and my skin's never looked better. All of my blackheads are gone and I haven't had an active pimple in over two weeks (I'm probably jinxing it now). I am also completely oil free and my hair looks amazing. Love it.

My only complaints are two things:

1. My lips are always chapped but I have been using loads and loads of carmex which I love. If anyone likes it, CVS is having a sale right now and they cost only 97 cents instead of the ususal $2.00

2. I am really really itchy. My arms and legs itch all the time. I'm not sure if it's from the accutane since it just started 2 weeks ago but it could be. Has anyone experienced this??

One week down!!!!

Wayyyyy too many to go..... :P

I havent noticed too much happening yet. Yesterday my skin started to get dry, but nothing crazy.

My lips also always feel funny. Like tingly I guess? Anyone know what I mean?

My hairs still greasy every morning. I'm waiting for the morning I wake up and I don't have to wash it! hahah

So I picked up my prescription tonight (starting tomorrow) but I was surprised at the dosage. I'm taking 40mg/day for two weeks and then 80mg/day after that. Im 167lbs, but doesn't that still seem kinda high? I see everyone else on here starting out more gradual, so it just seemed like alot.

So I picked up my prescription tonight (starting tomorrow) but I was surprised at the dosage. I'm taking 40mg/day for two weeks and then 80mg/day after that. Im 167lbs, but doesn't that still seem kinda high? I see everyone else on here starting out more gradual, so it just seemed like alot.

That's a high dose but not too high. Youre probably only doing a 4 month course.

That's a high dose but not too high. Youre probably only doing a 4 month course.

Yeah, my derm says 4-5 months. It just freaked me out a little cause I wasn't expecting that high a dose! Yikes. I take my first pill tonight and will start bracing for the likely IB which will strike right before a friends wedding in two weeks. yay! (thick sarcasm here)

Count me in, I've been on Accutane for nearly a month.

I'm taking 50mg/day for my bacne (moderate), not sure for how long. Face doesn't really have spots anymore, just marks. So far I've had dry skin/lips (they're ok now, don't know why?) and a short period of mildly aching joints. If I had an IB it wasn't a big one, just a few pimples that have gone.

Edited by Callum.

I've been taking Roche brand name accutane for 3 weeks now at 40 mg/day for four months (I'm 60 kgs 20 yo male). In the past I've tried benzoyl peroxide, tretonoin, minocycline; they all helped but only for a short time...hopefully this will get rid of it for good, I got moderate persistent acne on back face neck. After the four months I plan to ask doctor to up my dose to 80 for 3 more months to get a higher cumulative dose.

Had a really bad break out at the 2nd week mark which has now subsided. Pretty dry skin but wayy better than the oily skin i used to have and really cracked lips but thats it. Its annoying though that the skin looks way better one day then horrible the next as others said wtttf !! Overall though there is a slight improvement. My face is really red though.

Edited by Cooool

22 y/o female. 40 mg.

I'm scurrrred.

Any advice???

kelso!!!!!!!! if you were my child i would spank you for this blasphemy!! :P

You should moisturize your dry skin even if you dont care about it because later down the road it will bite you in the butt. Dry skin further wrinkles your skin and damages your skin. Since you are on accutane you should understand what dry lips does to your lips. It cracks and damages it. Obviously, the dryness on your skin is not as bad as our accutane lips, but the dryness over a long period can lead to irreversible wrinkles. This is why doctors say that those with oily skin have better skin than those who have dry skin because the oil keeps the face moisturized. Do you want to look like you are 90 at 40? I dont :D

Hope this changes your mind.

well i basically do moisturize everywhere except my forehead because thats my problem area and im worried it will break me out :o also my forehead doesnt get as dry as around my mouth

I'm on Day 86 (60mg/day) and I've noticed some increased dryness over the past few days, but only directly on and surrounding my active pimples. I actually haven't experienced much dryness thus far (knock on wood), but ever since the beginning of the week I've noticed that each pimple has become very dry and flaky (still very red and inflamed), as well as the area immediately surrounding the pimple. Has anyone else experienced this kind of spot-dryness?

I've put some moisturizer (Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF 15) directly on those spots, but I'm a little wary of using a moisturizer on top of an active pimple, even if it is oil-free. Since I (fortunately) haven't had to use moisturizer religiously so far in my course, I have a question for those of you that have had to rely a lot on moisturizer during your Accutane course; does using your moisturizer on active pimples alleviate the dryness but make the pimple worse, or does the moisturizer have no effect whatsoever on the acne itself? I guess I'm worried that the moisturizer will either break me out or stop the pimples from going away - I'm just really hesitant about putting any OTC product on my face, even though I've used this moisturizer before (when I wasn't on Accutane, and I didn't use it on any area with active pimples). Hope this question makes sense, thanks!!