Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clarky2

what to expect - dermatologist first time?

I'm going to the dermatologist in a few weeks (the waiting period for first timers is 6 weeks from the time you scheduled it...its the most popular derm in the area) and I want to know what to expect. I have only mild, sometimes moderate acne, on my chin mostly, sometimes jawline and forehead. It's not that bad, but it's persistant and something I've struggled with for about 2 years now - I'm a 16 yr old guy and going to be a junior in high school. I've used OTC products, Dan's Regimen and Obagi Clenziderm is what I'm using now, and it's actually something my mom picked up at her dermatologist (the one i'm going to see). The system works pretty well, but I am still getting constant breakouts. I just want to know what the first appointment is like, what they usually do, what they usually give you (antibiotics, creams, whatever), how long until the next appointment, etc. Also, what has your experience been with dermatologists? Much better results than over-the-counter products? Thanks!

Alright, I'm sure that when you first visit a dermatologist they would usually prescribe topical creams/lotions/gels first before taking a leap towards antibiotics.

It depends on your dermatologist pretty much! My derm was quick to try and prescribe me accutane, while others will only prescribe it after exausting all other avenues. If you tell them about your results with certain treatments such as BP, they may skip those treatments. It really depends on what they prescribe you, but it seems common practice to prescribe an antibiotic and something like BP and/or a retinoid.

I've been going to the derm for about 3 years now. My experience is that they will evaluate your acne and probably prescribe you an antibiotic and a topical retinoid. Then they will ask you to come back in about 6-8 weeks to see your progress. Some derms are great and some just don't care and are in a hurry to get you out of the office. Just make sure that you are completely honest with everything you are taking orally and topically. This might make a difference in what they prescribe you. Good luck and keep us updated