Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lDaGGerl

Well never thought they'd have a forum for me to ask about this....

So I believe I have a pilonidal cyst. I got it about a week ago, I originally thought I bruised my tailbone as I was in a car accident (friend driving). After a while it didn't get better and after manipulating my body in front of a mirror I was able to see I had what appeared to be a huge zit. After much research I came to the conclusion it was a pilonidal cyst. I was recently laid off and because I didn't jump on another insurance within a month of being laid off I now have to wait the entire year before joining my parents. On top of that its $100 to just go in and have someone look at this at a walk in, they are a private organization so they don't HAVE to take me in and I could go to the emergency room but I doubt a cyst on the top of my ass crack is the top priority and I couldn't sit there that long. Now onto the real topic....I with the help of my father was able to lance it open a bit (was very careful with keeping everything clean, he wore gloves, scalpel and such were sterilized before use) and drain a bunch of fluid, instantly felt better and was able to sit down and enjoy not laying on my stomach all day. What should be my next course of action to not only keep it clean but to stop this in the future. I'm super clean about washing my ass and package, I think more time is spent on that than the everything else combined. I've read about putting some cortisone cream on it but since lancing it I don't know if I should. Currently I've taken a nice epsom salt bath, it has a cotton ball with triple antibiotic ointment on it with a bandaid holding it down.

Pilonidal cysts are something of a big deal. I am hesitant to offer any advice with regard to home surgeries as I am not a physician. The important thing at this point is to keep the wound clean as possible. Even though you drained it, unless completely excised, it is likely to come back and eventually you are going to have to see a physician about it.

Actually they might not blow you away in the ER, if you went there. These things can get quite nasty.

Joe Zit

Pilonidal cysts are pretty serious. I really wouldn't recommend further home surgeries. You could permanently injure yourself or get a bad infection. When my fiance went in for his (he was in incredible pain), they drained it and packed it full of gauze. He went in a week or so later to have it repacked.

Joe Zit is right - pilonidal cysts can come back if not surgically removed so in future keep the area clean and dry. Some people find shaving the area prevents future flare-ups as well.

Yeah I went to the doctors today, refereed me to a surgeon as they couldn't take it out at the office. Gave me some antibiotics and pain killers until then. This thing is killing me but hopefully the pain killers work. Felt better yesterday and today the pressure was back so I had to go. Paid $130 for the visit and the meds....we'll see what happens when I go to the surgeon.....

Yeah, they ended up just lancing it and then packed it with a cotton string and said in a few days it may fall out or else to go back to this doctor and have it removed.