Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
modman

How I stopped Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii (red cheeks/flushing)

I suffered for over 10 years from Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii (red cheeks and constant flushing/blushing), and I know how depressing it is. Not being able to drink alcohol, looking bad whilst exercising, struggling in social situations.. It’s absolutely horrible.

I refused to give up and tried every routine or product you could possibly imagine. 99% did absolutely nothing, but 1% did genuinely work. This is how I managed to get control of my Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii.

Venlafaxine (Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)

This is a type of prescription medication commonly used for depression. For me, it allowed me to get complete control over the flushing/blushing. I would rate this as the most effective treatment I have ever tried. I am going to refrain from going into too much detail because I am not a trained physician. All I can say is that it allowed me to completely control my flushing/blushing. ONLY EVER TAKE PESCRIPTION MEDICATION UNDER SUPERVISION OF A TRAINED MEDICAL PROFESIONAL.

Green Tea Extract

I actually stumbled on this by chance. I decided to try drinking green tea instead of coffee, and I discovered it greatly reduced the surface redness on my cheeks. I take a reasonably high dosage each day with Green Tea Extract Tablets, which will give a lot more of the beneficial ingredients than simply drinking it which would take much longer.

I personally believe this positive effect could be from green teas active ingredient Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). There has been research demonstrating EGCG has a positive effect on human keratinocytes (skin cells). This is purely my speculation though, I am not a scientist.

Anti Redness Moisturiser

Choose an Anti Redness Moisturiser. The best one I have ever found by far is Dr Nick Lowe Redness Relief Correcting Cream, and I have tried them all. There will obviously be a wealth of alternative products if you cannot find Dr Nick Lowe Redness Relief Correcting Cream, and you will need to experiment to see which is best for you.

How to Drink Alcohol

I cannot describe how happy I was when I finally found a method to drink alcohol without flushing/blushing. There are stomach acid tablets which contains Famotidine (the most popular brand is Pepcid). This is mainly available in the USA, and a lot of people sell it on Ebay. I take 60mg of Famotidine because I am large, but I have heard small people should only take 20mg and medium sized people should only take 40mg. THIS IS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS AND THIS IS NOT WHAT THE MEDICATION WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED FOR. ALWAYS STICK TO THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE STATED ON THE BOTTLE. I then wait about 15/20 minutes, then eat a carbohydrate based meal (bread, potatoes, chips, pasta, pizza, fruit/fruit drinks.. just look on the box and make sure whatever you eat is mainly carbohydrates). I then wait another half an hour, and I can then drink alcohol without flushing/blushing. It is best to stay slow and steady (especially to start off with), and I drink water the whole evening whilst drinking alcohol as well.

Skin Care Routine

If you are washing/moisturising/shaving/anything your face, it is best to do it last thing at night, so it will give your skin time to calm down during the night (morning is usually when my skin is at its best). Never put any shaving cream/skin products on your cheeks at all, as it will often irritate it. Always be extra gentle with your skin at all times, and only ever use products indented for ultra sensitive skin.

Dry Skin Moisturiser

As I have already mentioned, Dr Nick Lowe Redness Relief Correcting Cream is the best moisturiser to use for redness. A lot of people with Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii have dry skin problems as well. The best moisturiser for dry skin without irritating at all is called Complex 15. It is based in the USA and a lot of people sell it on Ebay. This can be used alongside an Anti Redness Moisturiser to tidy up dry skin.

Exercise and Sport

There is no absolute cure to getting a red face whilst exercising, its natural and a lot of people without Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii get it as well. The best way to avoid it is to do low intensity exercise, and not get out of breath too quickly. Another way around it is to take lots of breaks during exercise and wait for the flushing to calm down before starting again.

Weather

Avoid bitterly cold winds blowing against your face and drying out your skin by wearing a scarf over some of your face. The sun will not only help improve your skin but the tan will also help hide the redness. You will however go a bit red in the face during receiving sun light, but once it calms down after receiving it the redness will be reduced.

Laser Treatments

At present there are only a couple of laser treatments which are effective for Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii. For flushing/blushing, the laser treatment to use is the Nd:YAG Laser. This penetrates deep into the facial blood vessels to "train" them to behave themselves.

The second laser option is Pulsed Dye Laser which is for the surface redness. There is increasing evidence that this is effective for surface redness, but it will cause bruising which will take a little while to heal.

Be extremely careful if you choose to go the laser route. Only pick a company and doctor who is experienced with red faces, DO NOT GO TO JUST ANYBODY. The top practitioner in my opinion in the UK is Peter Crouch at the Burley Park Clinic. Make sure you do your research and pick someone who is reliable and trustworthy.

Remember, everybody’s body responds differently to different things. Never give up hope, keep trying different things until something works for you. If you are a teenager, this condition will lessen with age.

I have KPRF too, I have taken fluoxetine (an SSI) would this be just as effective as the one you mentioned above. I think it would help a great deal in taking your mind off the issue.