Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flyer17

Rolling or Needling Scars That are Developing?

Just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on needling or rolling areas of skin where scars are still in the formation process? Has anyone done this before?

For clarification, what I mean is that I had two zits on my forehead about three or four months ago that have long since healed, but have left hyperpigmented, slightly indented areas of skin that I'm fairly certain are already scars or will become scars in the long term. Is it too soon to needle or roll such skin?

In general, if one has areas of skin where pimples used to be (let's say, within the past few weeks or months), is it better to let these heal on their own, or if it looks like they're scarring, is it okay (or even preferable) to start needling/rolling those areas as soon as they look like they're scarring? Somewhere I read on there it's best to work on newer scars.

Hope this question makes sense. Thanks!

Hey there, I'm not sure why no one else is responding...skin needling is actually a really good way to get your scars to improve by 90% or above.

It may be too soon for you to needle your scars since it takes a scar 12 months to fully mature...but you know the cliche--"the sooner the better." I think you should definitely ask a dermatologist, don't listen to me or anything.

Not sure you care, but....I'm thinking of trying needling myself. Not the "dermaroller" kind, I already own that and I just use it when I want my scars to temporarily fill in because you'd have to use the dermaroller for maybe a year to see some kind of permanent results. I actually want to try the needling with a tattoo gun that a pro uses to break down scar tissue and nearly rid all scar tissue since it penetrates so deep and "pops" the areas where the scar is bound down to. That is the most effective method I have heard of that is inexpensive, no risk of damaging skin, and your scars are practically gone when they are finished!!

But anyway, I came across this permanent cosmetic company that specializes in needling scars with a tattoo gun and I will definitely give that a shot! Most people who have tried it are happy with their results and the customers they get usually have at least 80% improvement. The idea of basically getting my face "dry tattooed" made me a bit faint but thankfully they use a numbing cream for wimps like me.

I hope I was of some help. Once I get my procedure done, I'll make a post about it to help anyone else out.

<3

Edited by LivingWithFaith

You should start treating the scar before it fully develops into scar tissue.

New scars tend to respond better to treatment then old mature scars. That's the case for me anyway.

Edited by DJT

Guest Timehealsall

how long would it take the scar to develop or turn into scar tissue? a year?

And to the o.p., let us know how it goes mate

Just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on needling or rolling areas of skin where scars are still in the formation process? Has anyone done this before?

For clarification, what I mean is that I had two zits on my forehead about three or four months ago that have long since healed, but have left hyperpigmented, slightly indented areas of skin that I'm fairly certain are already scars or will become scars in the long term. Is it too soon to needle or roll such skin?

In general, if one has areas of skin where pimples used to be (let's say, within the past few weeks or months), is it better to let these heal on their own, or if it looks like they're scarring, is it okay (or even preferable) to start needling/rolling those areas as soon as they look like they're scarring? Somewhere I read on there it's best to work on newer scars.

Hope this question makes sense. Thanks!

three to four months is just about right time to wait to treat it. I believe it is ready to be needled. The needling will help the hyperpigmentation. My red spots always turned to a normal color after needling. So I say go for it. Make sure the needles are not longer than 1.5 mm. Also, popping noises dont mean you are getting at scar tissue. It means your needle is blunted. Blunt needles can pull and tear at the skin and cause damage, so make sure your needles are sharp. Last time I needled I used a 30g diabetic needle and kept changing it when I felt it start to pull at the skin.

I thought the popping was a good thing?

Well, I did end up trying it on my forehead scars. These particular ones are the most noticeable on my face and they bother me more than anything else. Anyways, I needled (using the small dermastamp at 1.0mm) them a little over two weeks ago, and after doing so it looks like they responded a little bit, maybe 20-25% improvement in depth, but still not where I want them to be. It does look like some good healing is occurring, and some of the hyperpigmentation has gone away. I'm going to give them another few weeks and give it another go.