Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TIMMEY

Rifampicin, ulitmate cure !!!?

Cliffnotes: Rifampicin (aka Rifampin) shown to be the best acne antibiotic, (also shown to be better than Benzoyl-Peroxide).

Science:

In a recent study they took bacteria from acne sufferer's faces and grew the bacteria in a lab.

Propionibacterium acnes, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Micrococcus spp

are the bacteria most responisible for acne.

Anyway Rifampicin did far better than the other treatments, take a look at the results:

(sensitivity = how good the treatment is at killing the bacteria,

resistance = how likely the bacteria on your skin will be resistant to the particular treatment) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763741/table/T0002/

My experience:

I took Rifampicin and Clindamycin to heal a recurring boil (Abscess) I had from cycling. They worked. I also noticed that I had way less acne during this treatment.

I originally thought it must have been the Clindamycin that cured the acne, as I knew that it is a standard acne antibiotic. However since then I've used Clindamycin solution and gel with little success. So now I think it probably was the Rifampicin.

(Although I do think taking antibiotics orally is better than topically, so I can't completely rule out the Clindamycin)

My theory is that Rifampicin will work especially well on Pustular type acne.

I don't have bad acne, but when I get it; I get massive whiteheads (Pustules). Having done some research, I suspect this type of acne is mainly caused by Staph bacteria. And I know for sure that Rif + Clind cured my staph infection.